Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times

Advertisements

The Bay Area is probably one of most beautiful spots in this country, when y'all aren't working or taking care of the kiddos...how do y'all unwind? San Francisco...I heard doesn't really have great beaches...for swimming anyway...do many go down to Santa Cruz for the natural water? Are there nice beaches close to san jose that have decent swim temperature, I have heard that the sf beaches are quite cold
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
To answer honestly... No.

The water (ocean) in northern California is rarely warm. You may get a few days of swimming in Santa Cruz a couple times a year, but it still won't be warm.

That being said, I still recommend going to Santa Cruz, for the scenery. Also you MUST go to Monterey, its beautiful there.

You can go to Big Basin Redwoods near Santa Cruz to see the big trees. San Jose has the Winchester Mystery House. Thats ok. The weather in San Jose is awesome, rarely too cold or hot.

If you have a few days, I highly recommend going to Yosemite or Tahoe. Both are about a 4 hour drive. If you are going in June, even late May, the falls in Yosemite will be roaring.

All in all the Bay is a great place to be!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:00 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Socal beaches aren't much warmer (7 degrees). If swimming is what you want, the west coast in general pales in comparison to the beaches in the Southeastern US.

Now if surfing or just topological raw beauty is your thing, CA is the winner hands down.

Monterey Bay, Carmel, San Francisco, Tahoe, Sears Point Raceway, Wine Country....I could go on and on. You wont hurt for things to do on the weekends in the bay area.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 20,530 times
Come on people...Half moon bay is right up the road and has tons of beautiful beaches and also redwoods and great places to eat. Half moon bay is where they hold the great sufer contest every year. There are also many great camping areas in the Pescadero area too. Main thing is yep there is fog but it burns off by like 11 am and then you can have a beautiful day on the beach and in the water too.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:10 PM

64 posts, read 314,583 times
Default Many places are close by

Getting to Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Francisco, Half-Moon Bay from San Jose is a breeze, especially on the weekends. If you want to stay here within San Jose, there is plenty to do and see as well. Museums, Theatre, Comedy shows, shopping, fine dining, Art Gallaries, beautiful parks, ect.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:31 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz are great for surfers, but you don't see them in shorts. You see them in wet suits so they don't freeze to death.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:52 PM

264 posts, read 831,253 times
Ocean water along the bay area coast is usually not tolerable for swimming without a wet suit. And "swimming" in the ocean can be rather dangerous along most beaches--even for the most experienced swimmer. If you surf, kayak, deep sea fish, or are interested in other ocean activities you can find plenty of places to enjoy these.

I personally love the ocean for the scenery (just going to watch and relax) and kayaking.

Half Moon Bay has a great family beach (very clean by CA beach standards and large)--you even can rent horses and ride along the beach! It also offers a quaint downtown area with boutique stores and some good restaurants. It's also a good pick for a quick romantic getaway too.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Just 2 1/2 hours to the east; Calaveras County California Gold Country, Wine Country, Big Trees, Sierra skiing, Yosemite vacations

Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,333 times
I agree that none of the beaches up here have warm enough water for swimming. In my opinion the only local beach worth going to is Santa Cruz. Half moon bay has pretty beaches, but when you go down on them it's freezing and windy and there is seeweed and flies everywhere. Most people go down there and run for their car within 5 mins. I love to drive down HWY 1 to Big Sur and enjoy the beauty of the ocean from the warmth of my car. Don't even bother with SF beaches, they are very scummy and cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose