Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 12,807 times

Advertisements

We just moved to CA from MA last month. When we brought our cars in to the CA DMV to get our new plates, they took our old ones. Now our insurance company in MA refuses to cancel our insurance until we mail back our old plates to the MA DMV and get a receipt. But since the CA DMV took them, we can't do that.

Has anyone ever encountered this? As far as we could tell our only choice is to file a lost plate form with the MA DMV and state the reason. So we mailed that off today. What's most annoying is that we decided to keep the same insurance carrier in both states (Liberty Mutual) - so I have no idea why the MA office is being so difficult and won't work it out with the CA office that can confirm they are now covering us.

BTW, I just waited an HOUR on the phone with CA DMV. As soon as I got a live person and told him my problem - I was disconnected.

Don't even get me started about the experience at the W ALMA office with no parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchallen View Post
As soon as I got a live person and told him my problem - I was disconnected.
If they said that was an "accident" I wouldn't believe them.

What did MA Liberty say when you told them the CA DMV took your plates? Certainly they know this is standard practice out here. (I always keep one when I change them, since mine are vanity plates, and tell them one of 'em got stolen).

Old 02-01-2010, 05:12 PM

So it is standard practice? Even for out of state plates? Good to know. Too bad no one at LM in either CA or MA seems to know that. Thanks.

MA Liberty just keeps insisting that they must have a receipt. So we're going through hoops because they seem totally clueless and get an F in helping their customers work a problem.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,666 times
[quote=mitchallen;12712870]So it is standard practice? Even for out of state plates? Good to know. Too bad no one at LM in either CA or MA seems to know that. Thanks.

MA Liberty just keeps insisting that they must have a receipt. So we're going through hoops because they seem totally clueless and get an F in helping their customers work a problem.[/quote

Just so you know , If you have a clean driving record check out Wawanesa insurance co. San Diego, CA. great rates, maybe even less then Liberty. check it out. Also send Liberty a copy of your New registration form given to you at the Ca. DMV, that will show that new plates have been issued to that vehicle . Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
All MA Liberty should need is proof of insurance. If a vehicle is insured, the last insurance company can not create excuses to extort more money.
A license plate is disposable property and not the property or concern of a insurance company.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Fighter 1: That would make sense - why didn't they just ask for a copy of the registration? Of course, why can't they just confirm it with their CA branch that now insures us?

ferretkona: I couldn't agree more. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 PM

If anyone else runs into this, check out this link:

RMV - Canceling a Registration

It states:

To Cancel a Registration Without the Plates:

Download a Lost Plate Affidavit form (C-19) or go to any full service RMV branch office and fill out the form.

If you go to a Branch, the form will be stamped at that time or you may mail the completed C-19 form to the address above. Your stamped C-19 will be mailed back to you with the Registrar's stamp.
Make a photocopy for your insurance company and keep the original for your own records.

You need to provide the Assessor's Office from your town with a copy of your plate cancellation receipt and documentation on the whereabouts of your vehicle so they can process any excise tax adjustment that may be due.

I'm told this will be good enough.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
So it is standard practice? Even for out of state plates? Good to know. Too bad no one at LM in either CA or MA seems to know that. Thanks.

MA Liberty just keeps insisting that they must have a receipt. So we're going through hoops because they seem totally clueless and get an F in helping their customers work a problem.
Except here in AR we have never lived anyplace where they did not take our old plates..

Nita

Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,699,074 times
Funny, I just re-registered a car with PA plates in CA, and they didn't take the old plates - they're sitting on my counter right now.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
Quote:
BTW, I just waited an HOUR on the phone with CA DMV. As soon as I got a live person and told him my problem - I was disconnected.
That has happened to me before. I believe they disconnect on purpose just to avoid the question. Our tax dollars at work....ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose