Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 PM

82 posts, read 394,610 times

Advertisements

I've wanted to visit for several years now and have my husband almost convinced to take the trip. When is the best time to come...Sept., Oct., or Nov.? What month is it still pretty nice outside, the prettiest skies, trees, landscape, etc.?

Keep in mind it's freezing cold where we live for about 8 months a year so we'd like to come when it's not too cold.

Also is the Indian market still going on in the fall?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,857 times
As I remember the first weekend in October is about the best for fall colors and nice weather unless you go high up into the mountains where it can be cold. If I am wrong about best time for colors someone please correct me.

We don't think of New Mexico for fall colors, but the Aspen are great driving up toward the Santa Fe ski area. Go out Artist Road which in the Santa Fe fashion changes names and becomes Hyde Park Road. The cottonwoods turn yellow also and are along the rivers and larger arroyos. Not sure where the one best place for that is.

Another nice leaf trip is to go up to Antonito (CO) or Chama and get the scenic railroad. That will be high and you will want to stand out on the open car -- so take a winter jacket and hat.

The Indian market is long gone, but Indians will still be selling at the Palace of the Governors plus many stores will offer Indian items plus you can visit the shops of the artists themselves. Ask around and get some advice about stores -- some sell Indian items made on the sub-continent.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:16 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
The Indian market is long gone, but Indians will still be selling at the Palace of the Governors plus many stores will offer Indian items plus you can visit the shops of the artists themselves. Ask around and get some advice about stores -- some sell Indian items made on the sub-continent.
The 88th Annual Santa Fe Indian Market is next weekend (Aug. 22/23).

Chap

Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,086,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
As I remember the first weekend in October is about the best for fall colors and nice weather unless you go high up into the mountains where it can be cold. If I am wrong about best time for colors someone please correct me.
That is correct.
---------------------------------------------------------
Last week of September usually has decent color, but still
mostly green. More color to the North. Less to the South.

Balloon Fiesta is first Saturday in October to second Sunday.
There is always good color then.

Third week of October, the color is on the wane with many
trees having dropped their leaves.
The above can shift by a week, but in more than thirty
years in NM, I've never seen more than that.
Expect short-sleeve weather and sunny during the day
and light jacket, hat, gloves weather at dawn.

Note: one of the worst snowstorms that I've ever experienced
was on Friday of the Balloon Fiesta in 1986. It's not impossible
to see cloudy/flurries/etc. Most likely, it will be clear blue skies
during the times I've mentioned.

Oh, and if you experience some 'poopie' weather at times,
DON'T expect ANY sympathy from EnjoyEP.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 PM

5,431 posts, read 29,175,955 times
Default I've got my room booked!

Well, I've got my room booked for the first week of October! Really looking forward to it!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 AM

974 posts, read 2,344,735 times
Wow, good for you!!! It's a terrific time of year and you should have a great time. The days should be shirtsleeve warm (tees would even be fine) probably 60's to low 70's and the evenings will be nippy, probably in the 40's. There can easily be a 20 - 30 degree difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures - so layer up if your outings are going to span those times.
Note: I base the above on my experience/recollections, but you can check historical weather patterns for that time - and also I'll bet other forum posters will have more exact info to share.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the info! Fall is my favorite time of the year!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:45 PM

I'm halfway there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe