Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM

164 posts, read 356,201 times

Advertisements

Just read an article about Voocaray's on today's Herald-Tribune online edition. It is a Cajun restaurant located on Gateway Ave. between Mall and Gulf Gate Drives. Anyone been there?

We are leaving Friday for Lido Beach (no we're not moving down there yet ... just going to our timeshare for 2 weeks) and we always like to try new restaurants in addition to our old standbys. DH and I love Cajun food but are always skeptical as many restaurants that claim to be "Cajun" are far from it...dousing meat/fish with pepper is not Cajun.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has tried it and your thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
We have been there, and it was just OK.

It is definitely more a bar than a restaurant, and the food was definitely GOOD, but I have had much better Cajun/Creole. I had a mufaleta, and was frankly a bit disappointed. The fried pickles were decent, the jalapeno cornbread was a total waste of time, and the red beans and rice with sausage was just OK. In order to properly judge, I would have to go back and try the etoufee, the gumbo, and the jambalaya, of course.

I wouldn't get too excited about it if I were you.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks, Rushmore, I figured I would hear from you!

Since we have a timeshare in New Orleans in April, we will just have to wait until then to get our Cajun food fix!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:30 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
ok, so let's go further. what's your favorite local cajun/creole restaurant.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:17 PM

So, DH still wanted to check out Voocaray's so we went there tonight. As Rushmore said, it's more of a bar than a restaurant with just a few tables on either side of the bar and a couple of tables outside. I was rather surprised that, being a bar, they only served beer and wine, so we ordered New Orleans (Abita) beer.

The boiled crawfish was delicious. The Crawfish Etouffee was good but had a different flavor, slightly sweet, which I was told was from their "secret" ingredient, brown sugar. We were too full for dessert so didn't get to try their pecan pie, sweet potato pie, or beignets.

My husband, who lived in southern Louisiana for twenty years and is pretty picky about his Cajun food, said that "they did not embarrass Louisiana"...lol.

Will be eating at The BeachHouse on Anna Maria Island tomorrow night... my two week eating extravaganza continues.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,787 times
If you can get to Pinellas Park, great place. Cajun Cafe on the Bayou. Not fancy, but very, good.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evieleigh View Post
If you can get to Pinellas Park, great place. Cajun Cafe on the Bayou. Not fancy, but very, good.

Thanks for the suggestion! Just looked at their website and it's an authentic Cajun-owned restaurant, so will definitely want to try it.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
LOVE the Beachouse at Anna Maria Island!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area