Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 35,881 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing your perspectives. After a while you do begin to get a clearer picture of a place than reading lists of facts or expansive descriptions in one of those "100 Best Places to Live" books.

I'm sorry to hear there is so little care for the natural environment and growth takes precedence. That is so so common, but so very shortsighted. That's how we ended up with our horrible smog and traffic problems in SoCal. And they're still building like mad!

Does anyone know of a place with good weather and clean air that preserves historic buildings and the natural habitat, where ordiinary people can actually afford to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 03:59 PM

51 posts, read 101,178 times
Sarasota used to be a sleepy little resort town but it has changed quite a bit since I lived there.
The biggest change is all the condos built on the keys,used to be small cottages you could rent with plenty of beach acces but now its pretty well blocked up,with only access on the North and South ends.
They got rid of the natural mangroves and built a golf course,which has ruined the natural look of Longboat key.
I recall when it was just a jungle on the east side,which was very natural.
It's sad to see how they ruined the naturalness of it and pander to the rich people .
True there aren't many jobs there,just low-level restaurant jobs..and they are all low paying.
I would only live there if I owned my own house and didn't have to pay rent.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 174,123 times
Sarasota is great, along with Bradenton.... Enough said.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:21 AM

51 posts, read 101,178 times
Only great if your a tourist or rich...otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
I remember when it was truly great...but it's not that way now.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Check out SRQ.com, Sarasotamagazine.com, the Sarasotaherld.com, creativeloafing.com....for yourself.

There are always hidden gems in the rough, you just have to know how to find them.

Those of us that love SRQ wouldn't trade it for anything. Since I lived on AMI, it was too far to get to know during the last 15 years for me...but now, that I live downtown, it's a heck of a lot easier to explore...and I have parking which, in SRQ is a premium.

I will maintain, it's not cheap anywhere anymore, but once you uncover your gem, you're a millionaire in spirit!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM

6 posts, read 35,881 times
Thanks for the comments. I especially appreciate the specific sources for more info! I am still looking, considering... Any thoughts out there on Sarasota for older singles (50's)? Other places?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:56 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynell View Post
Thanks for the comments. I especially appreciate the specific sources for more info! I am still looking, considering... Any thoughts out there on Sarasota for older singles (50's)? Other places?
Sarasota is a perfect place for older singles. There are a lot of older singles there and most are well off. Sarasota is a wonderful city with lots to do. As others mentioned, you need a good amount of money to enjoy yourself there. If I was your age and single, I would be typing this from my condo in Sarasota instead of New England.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 15,087 times
Smile what I think about Sarasota

My husband, a native Sarasotan and I, moved to Sarasota 4 years ago from New Hampshire. Lived just outside of Manchester. Hated it!! But that's a whole other story for the New Hampshire section of this sight. \

Sarasota, I love and never plan on leaving, but..... It is getting more crowded all the time. People are coming here in, what seems like droves, not to mention all the damn "snowbirds" as they're called. The Midwesterners, the East coasters, Canadians, tourists, retirees and vacationers alike. They are all a major pain the the posterior. Most of us Floridians, native and transplants alike, wish they'd all leave and never come back. Some people defend the tourists and say things like "oh, but they help the economy". Granted that is true, but only to a degree. The economy was fine,too, before the influx of so many!

The retired and tourist snowbirds clog the roaodways, especially for people who have to LIVE and WORK here. They drive 55 on 70 mph Interstate 75, in the left lane no less. Argh!!! They do not look out for the many bicyclists and pedestrians here. A lot tend to be rude and demanding, especially the Canadians from Quebec! Most show up to places with large groups of 6 or more, making it an interminable wait for dinner any night of the week, (i.e. a 90 minute wait at Outback or Carrabas!!) or any new or kitschy restaurants. Unless you get to the beaches by 8:00 am, forget about a parking space. You may as well go home. We have!

The wealthier, greedy snowbirds have bought up so much of the water/beachfront property, and the sad part is, most are only utilizing it maybe 2-4 months out of the year. The rest of the time it just sits there not being used. Pitiful.

A lot of us locals are almost glad that the economy has slowed down here. For us it means a slowdown to the "too rapid a growth spurt" Sarasota was beginning to experience. There is one huge thing we locals don't like, and I saw the same thing happen on the Seacoast in New Hampshire, too. That "thing" is too much change. When people vacationed here, they "loved" the quaint, colorful, old Florida style Sarasota had to offer. Buildings, neighborhoods, shops, parks, etc. But, once they decided to buy homes here, second or primary, all of a sudden quaint become trashy, colorful was now tacky, and old and historical was now, well, old. They needed to make all that old stuff, new!! They started, in short order, too. Changed so much of the things that made it what they had originally fallen in love with in the first place. It's too bad. Luckily, though like I said, the growth has slowed significantly.

Why then, you ask, if all of the above is such an irritation, do I never plan on leaving? Because for the 4 months out of the year that all the above folks are gone, Sarasota is wonderful. If you can stand the heat of summer here and the occasional tropical storm, it's great. I can stand it. Beaches are great, great restaurants a plenty, good theaters, outdoor events and attractions, aren't as crowded. Ahhhhhhhhh! It's a bit like an itch in a bad place or a bad headache, it's very annoying while it lasts and so great once it's gone! Nuff said.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 15,087 times
Nope. Only If You Have Mucho Dinero, Can You Afford Clean And Nice.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:54 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher441970 View Post
Sarasota is great, along with Bradenton.... Enough said.
Personally, I would take Sarasota over Bradenton. Sarasota has some great beaches and you are still close enough to Tampa to go to decent stores and a big airport for cheaper, more convenient flights. If you are an orchid lover, as my wife is, I would highly recommend the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. Sarasota is a fairly upscale place with the arts, gardens, concerts, beaches, etc.

There are plenty of 50+ people in Sarasota and many are well-off but not obscenely so as in Naples. I would think there is plenty to do for the AARP set. Housing prices in Sarasota went through the ceiling during the bubble but they are coming down fast, faster than many other parts of the state. I think they are still going to come down so I would wait at least a year before buying. I would rent for a year until you get to know the area and see what prices will do. Florida has a crazy glut of condos so I think they will drop furthest in price. You might be able to get a good deal on a condo by the end of next year.

Red Tide is an issue all over the state as well as many other coastal states. It's not just a problem in Sarasota.

If you like nature, there are some nice state parks near Sarasota such as Myakka River, Oscar Scherer, and the Gamble Plantation.

If you have the means, I think it would be a great place to retire. Right now, I'm pretty sour on Florida because it isn't great for my current life situation but if I were close to retirement and didn't have children in school, Sarasota would be on my list of retirement spots.

"Does anyone know of a place with good weather and clean air that preserves historic buildings and the natural habitat, where ordinary people can actually afford to live?"

Have you taken a look at Pensacola, FL? The cost of living is low, housing is affordable, there are plenty of natural areas and state parks nearby, and they have really nice historic areas that they are extremely protective of. The beaches are close too and the beaches are beautiful. It is still a relatively small town but it has plenty of restaurants and shopping. Bigger cities such as Mobile, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Jacksonville are within a 6 hour drive. If I remember correctly, Money magazine listed Pensacola as it's #1 retirement spot a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area