Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM

33 posts, read 55,018 times

Advertisements

My wife and I purchased a vacation home in April last year and we just had our A/C stolen for the second time . The first time it was stolen it cost us $4800 to replace the entire system as per Florida code and this second time will cost us $1900 only because the A/C installer found a heat pump that matches our previous one. We cant afford to keep replacing our AC and will be forced to sell our house if it happens again.

What do all of you vacation home owners do to prevent AC theft? I plan on putting a cage over the heat pump and add motion sensor lights.I also plan on moving my fence back so my AC is exposed to the road instead of hidden behind a fence for thieves to steal without the risk of being seen.

Also, how are thieves able to bring in the copper for recycling without being questioned and do local governments have plans to protect its citizens from these crooks?Thanks for any and all input.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:56 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,469,684 times
98RAm,

Horrible to hear it happened to you twice, but honestly this is nothing new. I was in the AC biz for a long time and it has been going on in Florida for a very long time. The local recycling places dont seem to care as they dont question where it comes from. Believe it or not, most are probably AC techs or recycling guys that are doing it. Wish I had an answer for you outside of having the guy next door look after the place while your gone.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
98RAm,
Wish I had an answer for you outside of having the guy next door look after the place while your gone.

I'm pretty much surrounded by vacant lots. I do have a neighbor across the street and over one lot who's son is studying to be a police officer. We have a great relationship with them and they do a regular walk around our property for us. The neighbors' son sent me a text last Sunday to tell me that someone had stolen the heat pump from the vacant house next door to them. I asked if our heat pump was still there and after checking, texted back and said that it was still there and not to worry as the coils appeared to be aluminum and not worth stealing. Two days later,my wife and kids flew down for a weeks vacation and the heat pump was gone!!

Frank

Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,469,684 times
What they do is take the aluminum coils, which by the way they all are made of aluminum, they stock pile them until they have a huge truckload and then off to the yard to get paid. If you know a good electrician, have them wire the case on that thing so next time they get 220 volts instead of the coil.... just an evil thought I know its not legal or practical . Best of luck to you.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,953,688 times
What about a security camera? Just a thought...

Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,765,620 times
You might talk with an alarm company to see if they have a solution that would result in a phone call to the police or sheriff's office. I imagine it would be an easy matter for them to set up a zone that would trip if a wire was cut or something like that. I know what it is like to have scumbags steal your property over and over. All you can do is keep trying to deter them. You'd think by now that the a/c companies would have some sort of solution since it is so prevalent these days.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
What about a security camera? Just a thought...

Do you mean a dummy camera or a real one? How would I monitor it from 1200 miles away? Definitely something worth looking into.

Frank

Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM

60 posts, read 140,689 times
I had motion lights and security cameras placed right above mine.....hope it works! Anyone do anything else to prevent this crap

Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,953,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Ram3500 View Post
Do you mean a dummy camera or a real one? How would I monitor it from 1200 miles away? Definitely something worth looking into.

Frank
If it were me I'd look into installing a real one and putting a real nice A/C out there. I'm not too familiar with how they work. I was thinking something like they have in the convenient stores or banks. I know they keep tapes of some kind but I'm exactly sure the mechanics of the whole thing. The criminals are obviously watching the house. I'd set the trap.

Oh and I'd hide it too so they don't know they're being recorded. Looks like they're a couple hundred dollars: http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-5...s-cameras.aspx I'd put one at the A/C and one in the front of the house so you can see the vehicle they're driving.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
You might talk with an alarm company to see if they have a solution that would result in a phone call to the police or sheriff's office. I imagine it would be an easy matter for them to set up a zone that would trip if a wire was cut or something like that. I know what it is like to have scumbags steal your property over and over. All you can do is keep trying to deter them. You'd think by now that the a/c companies would have some sort of solution since it is so prevalent these days.
We do have a security company monitoring our house and they have told us there have been many inquiries made about AC protection but have nothing to monitor an AC heat pump specifically at this time.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area