Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:05 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times

Advertisements

for sure pain clinics will shut down, the ones that deserve to be shut down. the store front pain clinics are not where legitamite people get their pain pills. they are prescribed by a surgeon or pain management dr. they have a slightly different setting than what is being targeted.

wether one wants to admit it, these pain clinics hurt us all. your kids or family members getting hooked or the crime that comes as a result of it. we will pay directly by loss or thru the taxes to pursue, prosecute and house the guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:13 PM

749 posts, read 2,439,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
"FL has some of the most Draconian laws on pain meds of all states.....for instance, possession of Hydrocodone w/o a script is against the law"

Please elaborate on this statement. Last I checked that was called illegal posession of a controlled substance. Im not sure what your point is, are you saying that because it has only 7.5mg per 750mg tab of active ingredient that it should be legal?
By no means, possesion of Vicodin w/o a script is illegal period. What I'm saying is if one is caught with a 750mg pill they should be charged with the true weight of what is illegal, not the acetominophen. The weight plays an important factor in sentencing, minimum mandatory of 3 years or so for possesion of around 4 grams total. Enforce and sentence the law the way it was written......possesion of Vicodin is ilegal , the inert ingredients are not.

We have folks that are otherwise law abiding sitting in state prison for a half a dozen pills, get them out and put some habitual violent offenders in their place.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
By no means, possesion of Vicodin w/o a script is illegal period. What I'm saying is if one is caught with a 750mg pill they should be charged with the true weight of what is illegal, not the acetominophen. The weight plays an important factor in sentencing, minimum mandatory of 3 years or so for possesion of around 4 grams total. Enforce and sentence the law the way it was written......possesion of Vicodin is ilegal , the inert ingredients are not.

We have folks that are otherwise law abiding sitting in state prison for a half a dozen pills, get them out and put some habitual violent offenders in their place.
I appreciate you clarifying your view point for me. Although I partially agree with you, the acetominophen is actually what they are after most of the time. It is a primary ingredient in the manufacture crank if I am not mistaken. We cant have these people on the street, they contribute to the majority of crime and home robberies so they can get money to buy the stuff with. I dont know what the answer is, but the data base would have made it impossible for them to doctor shop.

Rick Scott is an idiot, that was clear before he became Floridas problem. The project was being funded with half a million in private monies that were donated, there was no taxpayer money involved.

Rick Scott invested over 5 million dollars of his own money into pharmacies, he wants the sales to continue, it increases his dividends.

Why anyone voted for him is beyond me, his company has the largest fine in the history of the United States issued to a corporation, for Medicare fraud no less..... so his company makes hundreds of millions screwing the taxpayers, it is forced into insolvency, Rick Scott walks away with a 5 million dollar bonus check as his corporation becomes bankrupt and then they elect him into government

Too much special interest for me, the man is a criminal and a liar and I dont trust him as far as I can wizz into the wind. Ill need pain meds soon, just to make through his term.....

Sorry for the rant, the guy infuriates me

Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 AM

From other states, pill mill bill has support | HeraldTribune.com

Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM

216 posts, read 623,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
I don't raise latchkey kids. I've started explaining at a very young age and constantly drill it in their heads not only the medical risks of tobacco, alchohol, pain meds, street drugs, but the legal consequences of using the substances as well. Trust me, if my kid walks in the door high it will be detected.

If it ain't prescription meds the idiots will find something else to OD on anyhow. The more you crack down on something the worse the problem becomes, look at the war on drugs. Back in the 70's and 80's the US had a small monkey on it's back with a handful of people dieing from cocaine, the enforcement gets stepped up and it's harder to get coke in the country so the underworld has to accomadate, get creative and wallah........now we have an 800lb gorilla on our backs with crack cocaine.

I am against the pill mills who aren't legit, don't require MRI's and basically hand out meds to anyone who says they hurt, but why should people that have had injuries or verifiable pain have to suffer because of the actions of a minority?
People who think that not allowing kids to be "latchkey" kids will keep them safe from the perils of drug abuse, or from other kids who abuse drugs and prey on them are very misguided. I am all for parental control, and I exercise it more stringently than most. (And my kids are teenagers already, this is not a hypothetical.) But the initial posters here have made incredibly strong points and we must all work together to make our society safer. Otherwise we all lose. That IS the function of government. Our new governor seems to feel that government has NO function. I don't get it.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 AM

216 posts, read 623,600 times
Quote:
I appreciate you clarifying your view point for me. Although I partially agree with you, the acetominophen is actually what they are after most of the time. It is a primary ingredient in the manufacture crank if I am not mistaken. We cant have these people on the street, they contribute to the majority of crime and home robberies so they can get money to buy the stuff with. I dont know what the answer is, but the data base would have made it impossible for them to doctor shop.

Rick Scott is an idiot, that was clear before he became Floridas problem. The project was being funded with half a million in private monies that were donated, there was no taxpayer money involved.

Rick Scott invested over 5 million dollars of his own money into pharmacies, he wants the sales to continue, it increases his dividends.

Why anyone voted for him is beyond me, his company has the largest fine in the history of the United States issued to a corporation, for Medicare fraud no less..... so his company makes hundreds of millions screwing the taxpayers, it is forced into insolvency, Rick Scott walks away with a 5 million dollar bonus check as his corporation becomes bankrupt and then they elect him into government

Too much special interest for me, the man is a criminal and a liar and I dont trust him as far as I can wizz into the wind. Ill need pain meds soon, just to make through his term.....

Sorry for the rant, the guy infuriates me
No apology necessary.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
the acetominophen is actually what they are after most of the time.
I agree with the rest of your post, but this is categorically untrue.

They are "after" the opiate element. In fact, if they had their way, the acetaminophen wouldn't even be in it at all, because prolonged exposure to Tylenol is, in some ways, even worse for the body (it is brutal on the liver) than the opiates themselves.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM

i thought rick scott had what it takes but it looks like he is missing it on a big problem. fortunately the law moves on without him. saw on the news this morning that they pulled off the busts on the drs. they showed the cars, lambos, ferraris and other high end stuff.

clipped and pasted this from a miami paper.

Pill-mill arrests hit right target: Doctors cranking out oxycodone prescriptions - Fred Grimm - MiamiHerald.com

Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
i thought rick scott had what it takes but it looks like he is missing it on a big problem. fortunately the law moves on without him. saw on the news this morning that they pulled off the busts on the drs. they showed the cars, lambos, ferraris and other high end stuff.

clipped and pasted this from a miami paper.

Pill-mill arrests hit right target: Doctors cranking out oxycodone prescriptions - Fred Grimm - MiamiHerald.com
The Florida senate has/had legislation to enact those seizures into law. I cant find the correct bill so I dont know if it passed yet.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,508 times
All I can say, as a Clinic owner in Orlando, I truly hope SOMETHING is done soon to help clean up our industry so that we can back to the business of helping those truly in need. Sad what this has turned into. Almost embarrassed to tell people what I do anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area