Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 AM

192 posts, read 496,676 times

Advertisements

I saw this article in the Herald-Tribune and was wondering how often this occurs. Where I live in MA, there are several beaches that get closed throughout the summer, mostly those closest to Boston, but I was under the impression that Gulf Coast beaches were pristine. A little disappointed to see the article, as we absolutely love the area and hate to see bad news. Any insights as to what caused it? I know here it's often after a heavy rainfall when the treatment plants can't handle the volume.

No-swim warnings at Venice, Turtle beaches | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
So discouraging.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Darn, I was planning to spend the day at Venice Beach Sat. Hopefully Siesta K will be good to go, Sat/Sun.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Rats! I was gonna go to Nokomis Beach on Saturday. Maybe I'll head to Siesta as well. I don't recall the beaches being closed before for something like this. Looks like the scientists don't know what the cause is either.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times
Venice Beach and Venice Fishing Pier Beach have had numerous water quality problems and shut downs over the years. Here is a quote to an article from the Sarasota Herald Tribune in 2009:

"Venice beaches received among the lowest rankings in the state in an annual environmental study of beaches across the country. The Venice Fishing Pier and Venice Public Beach garnered one star out of a possible five in the National Resource Defense Council’s ranking of 200 popular beaches.

In Florida, five out of 65 beaches tested earned one star, with Venice the only city in the state with two low-rated beaches.
Siesta Key and North Lido Beach followed with two stars in Sarasota County.
The NRDC study uses last year’s health department testing data to determine how often a beach exceeds pollution standards. It looks at how often officials test the water and whether they post timely health advisories.
Venice Fishing Pier beach was under a health advisory for more than a month last year. The environmental group said old and poorly designed sewage and storm-water systems are to blame for most beachwater pollution problems in the country.
To view the organization’s report, visit tinyurl.com/n9nqfl."

This is 2010's results, which confirm that the quality is still not any better.
NRDC: Testing the Waters 2010

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Interesting....I don't remember reading about it in the paper. I know there have been many red tide warning over the years. But I don't remember this. I wonder what that actually means? I've been swimming at the beaches my whole life and have never gotten sick from it, as far as I know. And I wonder why the water quality is so bad?

Seems kind of odd that they'd name Turtle Beach and Venice but not Nokomis (which is in the middle of the two). Just doesn't make much sense. You would think they would say from x beach to x beach and not leave out beaches in the middle. So would that mean that Nokomis Beach is OK but the beaches to the north and south aren't? strange...

I'm gonna give Mote Marine a call and see if they can clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Venice Beach and Venice Fishing Pier Beach have had numerous water quality problems and shut downs over the years. Here is a quote to an article from the Sarasota Herald Tribune in 2009:

"Venice beaches received among the lowest rankings in the state in an annual environmental study of beaches across the country. The Venice Fishing Pier and Venice Public Beach garnered one star out of a possible five in the National Resource Defense Council’s ranking of 200 popular beaches.

In Florida, five out of 65 beaches tested earned one star, with Venice the only city in the state with two low-rated beaches.
Siesta Key and North Lido Beach followed with two stars in Sarasota County.
The NRDC study uses last year’s health department testing data to determine how often a beach exceeds pollution standards. It looks at how often officials test the water and whether they post timely health advisories.
Venice Fishing Pier beach was under a health advisory for more than a month last year. The environmental group said old and poorly designed sewage and storm-water systems are to blame for most beachwater pollution problems in the country.
To view the organization’s report, visit tinyurl.com/n9nqfl."

This is 2010's results, which confirm that the quality is still not any better.
NRDC: Testing the Waters 2010

Last edited by SoFLGal; 02-25-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Rating by beach location

Beach Sampling Results

According to this article, in the link below, last time there was a problem, prior to this recent event, was three years ago. It appears there's not such a frequent issue when reading various articles. The waters are tested often, though it takes two days to know if there is a bacterial problem. In such a case, you'll probably know before the lab. Same deal if you eat bad produce, meat, etc.

Beach Report February 25, 2011 | Ticket

Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM

I called up Mote and spoke to one of their scientists. He said that sometimes nesting birds can cause this. Just like in the article, he said that it would be very unusual for this to happen without lots of rain or a sewage spill. Seems as though no one is sure what is causing this.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM

I detest charts, but after getting dizzy from rereading that star rating chart, it appears that we could feel good about the quality of our beach waters. But then again, I'm terrible with charts, so you might want to check for yourself. Um highly suggested.

Here's what those little stars mean. As long as your beach has those darker blue stars you are doing quite good.

A Quick Look at 200 of the Nation's Most Popular Beaches

Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 PM

166 posts, read 603,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I detest charts, but after getting dizzy from rereading that star rating chart, it appears that we could feel good about the quality of our beach waters. But then again, I'm terrible with charts, so you might want to check for yourself. Um highly suggested.

Here's what those little stars mean. As long as your beach has those darker blue stars you are doing quite good.

A Quick Look at 200 of the Nation's Most Popular Beaches
Yeah, its definitely a little misleading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area