Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 PM

153 posts, read 287,980 times

Advertisements

Hey Old Man Winter, let's talk about your machine. I'm guessing a dresser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
Hey Old Man Winter, let's talk about your machine. I'm guessing a dresser.
I have an 02 FXD Superglide. Custom front end with a slight rake, High performance racing cams, custom exhaust. She needs to be rechromed, but the salt down here is not kind on chrome so I have not bothered to do it. It was put together for low end torque not top end. Top speed is 115 MPH. She is a cruiser, very easy to handle with a sexy Lapera seat that wont allow my wife to join me . Last time my wife road with me the bike burned her pretty good on the leg (wife does not follow dismount instruction). I dont ride much anymore, most of my riding buds are dead from accidents and my wife does not want me to join them, so my lil Thumper rests peacefully in the garage until after easter when the white hair army goes home.

I use to run the 1/4 mile drags out in Bradenton, my buddy Jack was my racing partner. Last run we had together my scoot did 12.24 at 113 MPH, thats pretty quick for a Harley. It was the best run I ever had. The *** bikes were pulling low 10's at 126 I think. Numbers are close, I got them written down somewhere. I have not even been to the track since his death, probably will never go back.

I am tearing her down this summer, Im going to redo all the seals, new tires and I may put my drag pipes back on. Ill probably replace all the cables and a new intake as well..... if I have the coin I may blast the rims and front end down and send them to Kentucky for chrome, we will see. If I get a chance ill scan a few pics and send them to you.

Do you ride down here? If you do , stay safe man nobody is looking out for you on the roads m8

Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
I think that staying in the left lane at any speed, limit - appropriate - excessive, when other want to pass is wrong. Aggressive drivers are wrong as well. Speeders are wrong as well. Slow pokes are wrong as well. Deciding who has the right to the left lane is wrong, if the person deciding that wasn't voted to make that decision.

Get the out of the way, let traffic flow as it is supposed to, with passing on the left. And drive safely.

Forcing others to pass on the right is not safe, and it should not be your right to decide that the law should make an exception for you because you are already in the left lane.

You are causing others (who are right or wrong) to make a more dangerous decision and that is wrong! Your license should be revoked! But, I'm not voting to revoke it.

Be courteous. How is that for advice!?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I drive the speed limit, even when on my bike. Years ago I would cruise I75 doing 112 MPH all day every day if traffic allowed it. Now im older, and have lost too many friends and riding buddies over the years, 7 to be exact since 2002. I was there when my buddy Jack died in 2004 and to this day it haunts my every thought when I get on my bike. I stilll see his great smile every damn time my engine turns over and I cringe at the thought of the *$$h*l* that did it and never stopped. Seeing that bike smash into that tree and being helpless to do a damn thing to stop it all because someone was driving too fast and couldnt handle the corner they were on. The guy drifted right into our lane and Jack had no place to go but off the road. He was DOA when medics arrived.

So I guess long story short, you can drive around like an idiot all day, maybe one day it will be one of your own going home in a body bag, or maybe you take out a mom and her baby, maybe thats what it will take for some of the drivers. For me, I want to go home to my wife and sleep well knowing there were no casualties on my watch. Life is too short, drive safe peeps

I had to edit to add this,

We miss you Jack, I will always love you my brother RIP
Truly sad. Sorry for those lives lost and the pain caused to you and their loved ones.

I too was one to drive the max on the GSP in NJ. Cruising was 70 mph back in the day and if you were doing anything less, most times, you were holding up the flow of traffic, which could be hazardous. Presently, I'm happy to be in a vehicle that never goes over 35mph. Unfortunately, one of my young friends with the convertible, enjoys top speed and riding people's bumper I cringed anytime the group of friends would get together and she was the one doing the driving. Hopefully that's not ever going to be an issue in the present, but I worry about her staying safe with her driving attitude.

Ah shucks, just remembered another friend might be visiting next week and his driving repulses me as much as the gal pal's. maybe if I threaten him with the bus, he'll tame his driving ways. He'll be on my turf, my rules.

I guess what it boils down to is people going above the speed limit have no more right to expect a person going at speed limit to move out of the way, unless there's an emergency. If they move, it's a curtesy, not a right. Having said that, the persons staying in the passing lane, while most traffic is going at a faster flow, is really being simple minded, since it's not their responsibility to control the flow of traffic and in fact could cause more safety issues than those going with the flow of traffic at that particular time. No the people going above the limit may be in the wrong, but why do what will possibly contribute to the cause of an accident.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
I have an 02 FXD Superglide. Custom front end with a slight rake, High performance racing cams, custom exhaust. She needs to be rechromed, but the salt down here is not kind on chrome so I have not bothered to do it. It was put together for low end torque not top end. Top speed is 115 MPH. She is a cruiser, very easy to handle with a sexy Lapera seat that wont allow my wife to join me . Last time my wife road with me the bike burned her pretty good on the leg (wife does not follow dismount instruction). I dont ride much anymore, most of my riding buds are dead from accidents and my wife does not want me to join them, so my lil Thumper rests peacefully in the garage until after easter when the white hair army goes home.
Nice! I've been on two wheels in some form for 25 years. The wife thing - LOL

Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 AM

153 posts, read 287,980 times
Quote:

I use to run the 1/4 mile drags out in Bradenton, my buddy Jack was my racing partner. Last run we had together my scoot did 12.24 at 113 MPH, thats pretty quick for a Harley. It was the best run I ever had. The *** bikes were pulling low 10's at 126 I think. Numbers are close, I got them written down somewhere. I have not even been to the track since his death, probably will never go back.

I am tearing her down this summer, Im going to redo all the seals, new tires and I may put my drag pipes back on. Ill probably replace all the cables and a new intake as well..... if I have the coin I may blast the rims and front end down and send them to Kentucky for chrome, we will see. If I get a chance ill scan a few pics and send them to you.

Do you ride down here? If you do , stay safe man nobody is looking out for you on the roads m8
Sorry to hear about your friend, our brother. This is a risk we all take on when we throw a leg over. I am still in Chicago but hope to be there soon. My wife has been there for 4 months already, I'm trying to sell a house. I ride an '05 Ultra that's completely pimped out. I hope the salt down there doesn't eat my chrome! I'll see if I can send you a pic, I've already hi-jacked this thread enough.

Edit: Couldn't send private message with pic, so here it is for the whole world to see. Sorry about the hi-jack.
Attached Thumbnails
left lane slugs take note-trailer_4.jpg  

Last edited by JohnInChicago; 03-18-2011 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Add pic

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Paradiddle, you negated every point you wanted to make by actually TAKING PICTURES WHILE DRIVING. Did you make that post while you were driving, too?

Wondermint, you have some odd ideas about what the speed limit is, why it exists, and who installed and tested it. I still do not understand why you want to be in the left lane at all. I can only assume it is some matter of principle (your "right") or something. I guess your view is that if there is open road in front of you, and you're doing 70 MPH, and I want to drive 75 MPH, that it is somehow your duty to deprive me of all that open road. In other words, you are in charge of it. I do not agree.

OMW, sorry about your friend.

All, I guess this is sort of a pointless conversation, much like politics or religion. Here are some Fun Facts for those who didn't already know them:

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The overall road traffic safety of German autobahns is generally better than that of other European highways[citation needed]. A 2005 study by the German Federal Interior Ministry (Bundesministerium des Innern) indicated that Autobahn sections with unrestricted speed have the same crash record as sections with speed limits[citation needed].
Quote:
The speed limit in the USA is commonly set at or below the '85th percentile speed' (which is the speed at which 85% of the traffic is travelling)[41] and in the USA is typically set 8 to 12 mph (13 to 19 km/h) below that speed.[42]

Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 PM

51 posts, read 88,320 times
In NJ we have signs that say the left lane is for passing only. Futile.

I saw a bumper sticker many years ago that I still remember.
"As a matter of fact, I DO own the road."

Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times
Here's the current laws for each state concerning driving in the left lane: State "keep right" laws

Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Here's the current laws for each state concerning driving in the left lane: State "keep right" laws
The information is wrong for my state. Can't vouch for the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area