Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times

Advertisements

When I signed up for Comcast Economy internet plan they told me that they were going to upgrade the download speed (from 1.5mbps to 2mbps) with an upgrade to the service in February. I was told that technicians were to start in North Port and work there way North to other communities in the Sarasota area. Well here we are in early April and my download speed is still exactly the same as when I signed up (aprox. 1.5mbps). I'm in Nokomis. I was wondering if anyone else here has Comcast Economy Internet service and if so what is your download speed? And have you heard anything about this supposed upgrade in service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 06:03 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'm guessing that the 54 Mbps you see is the speed noted on your wireless card.

That's the theoretical max speed between your machine and the wireless router. From the router out to the internet you're probably not getting more that 10-15 Mbps if you are on a lightly used node (cable gets slower as more people in your neighborhood use it).

You can test down and up speeds at a number of places like Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
I'd test from a couple of different servers to get a better sample.
There is no wireless card. the 54 Mbps is the speed noted when I hover over the wireless computer icon in the lower-right, or if I open the wireless networks window. Once in a great while, it says 48 Mbps, but that's rare. Regardless, it's very quick for $25/mo.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
There is no wireless card. the 54 Mbps is the speed noted when I hover over the wireless computer icon in the lower-right, or if I open the wireless networks window. Once in a great while, it says 48 Mbps, but that's rare.
Yea, that's the speed of your wireless network. If you get further away from the router, or there's some interference, you'll get a lower number but you won't see any real difference until it gets below the actual internet speed (probably under 10 Mbps).

Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times
I called Comcast today and asked them when the speed to my internet service will be upgraded. I was told that Comcast was in the process of upgrading their entire network - and this upgrade is called their "digital migration". I was told the digital migration upgrade should take "several more months". Here's a link that explains a bit about it: What is the Comcast Digital Migration?

Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
I'm looking at Brighthouse, although I'm up in Dunedin. They offer a seasonal internet plan that looks interesting to me.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM

70 posts, read 217,002 times
Regarding mobile "Broadband" with no contract, I haven't actually researched it fully, but Virgin has a pretty decent offering with their pay as you go program. By memory, a one time payment of $100 for the USB broadband modem, and $20 for two months/250MB of bandwidth. I could be wrong on the bandwidth, but it's more than plenty for email and reading websites without video. As far as residential Internet access, the phone company is a lot more reliable than the cable company. I would estimate about 10 times more reliable. Of course, you're splitting hairs a bit, as even cable is pretty reliable. So, my order of preference is FIOS > DSL > Cable. FIOS is extremely fast in terms of both bandwidth and latency. DSL is about the same speed as cable, but cable is shared a lot closer to the home. So, your neighbors using up a lot of bandwidth is more likely to affect your cable connection. Anyway, that's an executive summary, the gory details are, of course, a bit more complex, and unless you're a power user, (P2P or gaming,) you won't really notice much of a difference anyway, and you're best off going with whatever service plan is best for you financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area