Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 PM

27 posts, read 67,828 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Sarasota in June I scored a good medical billing/AR job. I am a 33 year old single mom of a daughter who is 13, she will be in 8th grade next year. I am hesitant to rent anything unseen so I am going to be staying with my friend in Brandon when I first arrive, I think it will be about an hour commute. It will suck but won't be for two long I am hoping I can find a place within a few weeks. I am looking to stay around $850-$950. I am a little overwhelmed by all the neighborhood choices. Which ones should I avoid which ones have the best schools?

I wouldn't mind renting on one of the keys I have found several all inclusive 2 bedroom condos for around $1100 that would be ok because all utilities would be included. Are those good areas to live in. I love the ocean, I am moving from Alaska seeking a warmer climate.

Maybe we should rent an apartment first that's a plus because there is a pool but I really don't like apartment living.

My daughter prefers a house which I wouldn't mind I am an avid gardener and somewhere with a nice yard would be good. I would like to be close to a good Yoga studio.

From what I see one great schools.com I am thinking I want her to go to Sarasota Middle School and Riverview High school. They are both in Sarasota county but I don't know if my address matters I figure where I live dictates what school and then what addresses am I looking for? I guess I should call the district office.

Anyway I am rambling....I am very excited I was worried about moving to Florida I kept reading how horrible unemployment was and I would never find a job. But hard work and good references paid off!!! I would like to live somewhere we can enjoy and it is safe. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
First, congrats on the new job. Next, it seems like you have done your homework checking out schools. Here's a list of the Sarasota county schools and you can click on each one to see what area it covers. Sarasota County Schools Long Range Planning

As a kid I lived off of Proctor Rd on Riverwood Ave. On the corner of Riverwood Ave and Outer Dr. That area was pretty decent and I don't think it has changed a whole lot.

Many of the Palmer Ranch neighborhoods are zoned for Sarasota/Riverview so you might want to check there. I doubt you'll get a home in their in that range but you might find a condo. You should inquire about how many rentals are in the complex when you're looking around. If you find a complex that is stricter on their renter polices than you won't have as much movement with your neighbors.

I believe there might be a small portion of Gulf Gate that is in Sarasota Middle but make sure you verify this.

Crooked Creek is a lesser know kind of cool little community. I do, however, think the middle school is Brookside and the high school is Riverview.

I'm assuming when you were speaking of "the keys" you might be referring to Siesta. It's zoned for Brookside and Riverview. One word of advice if you're looking to be a full time resident on Siesta. I have many friends with young kids who live out there. Many of them get tired of it after a year or so. The problem is the traffic getting on and off the key in the wintertime. If you live north of the north bridge or south of the south bridge this cuts down on a lot of the "on key" waiting. When you have kids and need to get off key several times a day for school pick up, extracurricular events, shopping, etc. It gets old real fast.

Anyway, good luck with your search

Last edited by SoFLGal; 05-06-2011 at 04:49 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,804 times
WOW...a BIG congratulations to you. Jobs are hard to find, but, like I've previously said, the medical billing industry is always looking for good, qualified people. May I ask how that went? I remember everyone giving you a little grief about applying long distance for a job. You will be doing a lot of people a service by giving them some info on how you went about this. Did you come down for the interview?

Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck. You will love FL because you have the right attitude. You seem to look at your glass as half full, not half empty.

Thanks for any help you can give some other members who ask often about getting employment.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Congratulations! You have just proved that it can be done! It seems that the people with the right attitudes are the ones who get jobs and accomplish their goals.

I agree, you will love Sarasota because you have done your research, got your job lined up, and don't have unrealistic expectations.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it here

Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halapena View Post
I am moving to Sarasota in June I scored a good medical billing/AR job. I am a 33 year old single mom of a daughter who is 13, she will be in 8th grade next year. I am hesitant to rent anything unseen so I am going to be staying with my friend in Brandon when I first arrive, I think it will be about an hour commute. It will suck but won't be for two long I am hoping I can find a place within a few weeks. I am looking to stay around $850-$950. I am a little overwhelmed by all the neighborhood choices. Which ones should I avoid which ones have the best schools?

I wouldn't mind renting on one of the keys I have found several all inclusive 2 bedroom condos for around $1100 that would be ok because all utilities would be included. Are those good areas to live in. I love the ocean, I am moving from Alaska seeking a warmer climate.

Maybe we should rent an apartment first that's a plus because there is a pool but I really don't like apartment living.

My daughter prefers a house which I wouldn't mind I am an avid gardener and somewhere with a nice yard would be good. I would like to be close to a good Yoga studio.

From what I see one great schools.com I am thinking I want her to go to Sarasota Middle School and Riverview High school. They are both in Sarasota county but I don't know if my address matters I figure where I live dictates what school and then what addresses am I looking for? I guess I should call the district office.

Anyway I am rambling....I am very excited I was worried about moving to Florida I kept reading how horrible unemployment was and I would never find a job. But hard work and good references paid off!!! I would like to live somewhere we can enjoy and it is safe. Any help would be appreciated.

halpena,
Congratulations on your new job, and the decision to move! You have me excited too! You have found a great site to ask questions to help you sort things out. Gypsychic, Oobie, Ladywithafan, and SoFlgal will all be great resources for you. They all know the area, where to live, what to do, things that will interest you, what great schools to think about, where to avoid, etc.....

I'm happy for ya!
If you want to hang out, fish, and drink beer all day, then I may be an OK resource.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Quote:

Congratulations!
I would make a suggestion that you try to live within five miles of your job if possible due to rising gas prices; you will understand that once you commute from Brandon. I currently drive almost 20 miles rt each day x 5 and am definitely having pain at the pump.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Default Rental help

Thanks, I applied for a TON of jobs through craigslist and the internet you just never know what will happen! I did three phone interviews and I know they spoke with my references. Hard work and a good work history paid off!!

Now I am overwhelmed with where to move, I have been doing a lot of research and looking at craigslist but I am very hesitant to rent without personally seeing it and you never know with all the weirdo's and scams going on in the world. After research it really seems that I want to put my daughter in Sarasota Middle School and Riverview High.

I also looked at renting a vacation rental for the first month I was there, but now I am considering just renting an apartment on a 6 month lease and going from there? Does anyone know about the following apartments?

Citation Club On Palmer Ranch

Beneva Place (this might be in another middle school area)

Vintage Grand on Palmer Ranch

Saratoga Place on Palmer Ranch

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Or the Gulf Gate apartments....

Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Quote:
Thanks, I applied for a TON of jobs through craigslist and the internet you just never know what will happen! I did three phone interviews and I know they spoke with my references. Hard work and a good work history paid off!!

Now I am overwhelmed with where to move, I have been doing a lot of research and looking at craigslist but I am very hesitant to rent without personally seeing it and you never know with all the weirdo's and scams going on in the world. After research it really seems that I want to put my daughter in Sarasota Middle School and Riverview High.

I also looked at renting a vacation rental for the first month I was there, but now I am considering just renting an apartment on a 6 month lease and going from there? Does anyone know about the following apartments?

Citation Club On Palmer Ranch

Beneva Place (this might be in another middle school area)

Vintage Grand on Palmer Ranch

Saratoga Place on Palmer Ranch

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks
Pick a central location in regards to your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area