Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times

Advertisements

1) Regarding temps, you're looking at maybe 3 or 4 degrees hotter in the daytime as LWR is further from the beach. I live about 4 miles west of LWR and we do get afternoon sea breezes even this far inland. LWR also gets a few degrees colder on winter nights. You may have to cover your tropical plants more frequently than those who live closer to the beaches.

2) LWR has a nice, smallish town center where you can go to do some shopping. Just west of the LWR, on University Pkwy are several shopping centers which include stores such as Kohl's, Target, Stein Mart, Sports Authority, and soon Old Navy & Dress Barn. There's also a small outlet mall. What I do like about LWR's Main Street is that they throw a big street party once a month with live music, dancing and activities for the little ones.

As to your comments about the HOAs - well said! Some people complain about the deed restrictions but it is those very restrictions that keep the community looking nice and maintain values. If you don't like the restrictions, buy elsewhere, you have many other options with either less or no restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:14 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Speaking specifically about LWR Main Street, I don't think many people would say that it is an active bustling area, except for the times when there are special events which can draw a huge number of people. There are some nice shops, nice restaurants, movie theater, miniature golf but there are also still some empty store fronts...victims of the economy. It will become more vibrant when things get better and there are plans to greatly expand the commercial activity here but, to be fair, right now it can range from sleepy to somewhat busy to super active.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:39 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times
Main St in Lakewood Ranch is very Disney-ish and small. Not like Downtown Sarasota or Venice (which are apples and oranges already) I feel like Lakewood Ranch's Main St area was built to resemble a town, it's very Stepford there to me BUT it really is pretty!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 AM

105 posts, read 146,461 times
Default Hoa

Well, if you are retired then LWR is it, because no one really goes outside and it's quite an inactive community separate from it's Golf Courses.

Regarding your family. The HOA actually restricts your child from being a child. Speak to families in lakewood ranch first and you will see. Children are just that, children and when the HOA nitpicks every little thing from something as simple as a bike left out over night, to a toddler's little fort, the LWR flare tends to wear off quickly.

As I stated, ask some families that live here. Use the Town Hall's space and set up a family meet and greet and definitely do your due diligence if you think this is the best fit for children.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:45 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotalaw52 View Post
Well, if you are retired then LWR is it, because no one really goes outside and it's quite an inactive community separate from it's Golf Courses.

Regarding your family. The HOA actually restricts your child from being a child. Speak to families in lakewood ranch first and you will see. Children are just that, children and when the HOA nitpicks every little thing from something as simple as a bike left out over night, to a toddler's little fort, the LWR flare tends to wear off quickly.

As I stated, ask some families that live here. Use the Town Hall's space and set up a family meet and greet and definitely do your due diligence if you think this is the best fit for children.

Why is a bicycle left out or a child's play fort an issue? When it violates the deed restrictions that govern your community. The deed restrictions that give a community a pristine appearance and great curb appeal when you're out searching for a home to buy may become a thorn in your side once you move into that pristine neighborhood if you don't get and read a copy of the deed restrictions and by-laws before you write an offer.

FL state law requires that buyers in condo communities be given and sign an addendum to the purchase contract that allows them 3 days from receipt of condo docs (which include the deed restrictions and by-laws) to review the documents and either go forward with the purchase or cancel the transaction. Buyers in mandatory HOA communities must sign an addendum to the purchase contract that discloses there's a mandatory HOA and restrictive covenants governing the use of properties in the community, but no 3 day review period. Considering how many home buyers are now purchasing in communities with mandatory HOAs & deed restrictions, you'd think the state legislature would put these home buyers on the same level as condo buyers.

The state of FL is one of the few that has extensive legislation regulating HOAs. Here's the link to the state site: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2010->Chapter 720 : Online Sunshine

I totally agree with the last line about doing your due diligence before you buy into a community, to make sure it's really a good fit for your family's lifestyle.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:39 AM

16 posts, read 84,112 times
Lakewood Ranch is a beautiful community, well maintained and safe. The CDD fees are well worth it (about 100 bucks a month) as it ensures everything is kept looking good. The CDD fees are only for a set number of yrs as many of the older homes have paid theirs off, am thinking 15 yrs total? As for the HOA rules, very fair and lenient, the hoa manual is THIN and not overwhelming. Mostly just common sense and keeping everything looking nice, but not too an extreme. Eg. you cant paint your house bright purple, cant let grass get two feet tall, no old junk cars on your front lawn etc. Keeps the neighborhood looking good but doesnt go overboard.

LWR isnt perfect and their are some negatives, if youre moving down from the Northeast youre going to be in for a shock. You know the sense of community you have from back home, were all in it together, common courtesy, friendliness and a pleasant attitude towards others...well forget all that... what youll see is a lot of antisocial, rude and just plain obnoxious behavior...the place is ghost town as most people hide in their homes most of the time...lots of just plain out nasty people. The good news, there are exceptions..fellow Northeasterners and europeans...most are just like from back home. If you move here youll find yourself befriending others from the NE and Europe and ignoring the bad apples...

Last edited by gws35; 10-26-2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
gws35, a few points. When you search for threads that interest you, keep in mind that the threads you will see can be from years ago so adding to them doesn't always make a lot of sense, particularly when you are responding to another comment from someone who is long gone.

Since you made a comment on CDDs, I just want to clarify for anyone who might read this and get the wrong idea, that CDDs do not eventually go away. The bond portion of the payment does eventually mature and THAT part goes away in time but the larger part of the CDD tax bill is for maintenance and operation and that will never go away.

I lived in the northeast for many years before coming here in '87 and, while your opinion is yours to have, I find that people here aren't nearly as high strung, rude, obnoxious, etc. as many of the people (not all!) up north were. Having grown up in the mid-west, this kind of easy-going life appeals to me. I grew up in suburbs instead of a city neighborhood block but I think I understand what you talking about. The thing is, if you are going to move to a suburb and expect it to be like a neighborhood block, well, I think your expectation that it should be the same is erroneous and you will be in for a frustrating time.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
I'll preface this by noting I do not mean to insult or offend anyone in LWR. And if you want nice safe sterile suburban family environment, LWR will do the trick. It really has to be your cup of tea. We looked there, but did not buy because (1) houses were overpriced and too close together (2) it feels like a family place and we have no kids and simply aren't into "family" type activities (3) the Main Street feels like Disney--a made up plastic downtown. The retail stores on Main are expensive and stores keep opening and closing because nobody really shops there--more like housewives' hobbies than stores. Nothing about LWR feels authentic to us, and there is a slight 'snob appeal' thing going on there. If you prefer a more organic type of neighborhood without super-strict rules, it may not be for you. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:26 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,920 times
As I've said on other threads to this unhappy poster, it all depends on how you approach people and the attitude you project. I've only found people to be polite, courteous and friendly. There are definitely plastic looking people here who look like they don't want to engage in conversation and are in a hurry but to each his own. Haven't had any more tailgaters or bird flippers here than anywhere I've lived. No parking space stealers. Still find that people hold the door for me and I'll do the same for them.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,267 times
How is LWR for retirees? We are looking at a new neighborhood, Esplanade Golf and Country Club.
LWR seems like a great self-contained community (if you want it) plus close enough to Sarasota and beaches for additional fun. With all the LWR clubs it sounds like a friendly suburban type community and easy to meet people. We are early 60s and like the idea of all ages, but hoping not to be a minority as retirees either. Any feedback is appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area