Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Are you flipping kidding me?? That lake is fine. The same weed raking had been done many years before us, and it is still being done 20 years later. My son's godfather still lives on that lake and we visit each summer. People still swim in front of their properties, and there is still over half the lake undeveloped where the little fishes still bite a worm. Don't worry, it's OK. If people didn't control the weeds, they would overgrow and take over, JUST like mangroves down here. How is this so hard for you to comprehend?
So, from your perspective, thank whoever you think is holy, that we came along and made sure that we correct the balance that was there naturally since the ice age.

After all, all those natural environments need us to correct them to get the best and highest use out of them, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
What is your solution? Should everyone that bought man-made waterfront not be allowed to maintain such? If not should they be reimbursed by the government and in turn increase your taxes to execrise that? If you have inland property and have a man-made pond and a mangrove sprout comes about can you not remove it? If a rare bettle is spotted on your yard should you be evicted so that you don't accidentally step on it?

Granted we need to live in harmony with nature but we also need to be practical. Overarching regulations do not achieve that. I cannot beleive the intent of the mangrove laws reaches as far as some you make it out to be.
I think there is probably a good balance between man made and nature.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:14 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I've lived on the water my entire life. If seawalls don't cause erosion, and they plainly do, then why aren't they still building them? Because mother nature does it better.

How much seawall do you see in the Intracoastal? Very little.
What freaking planet do you live on?? Not building them?? There are at least a dozen companies in the area that build seawalls! A new one was just constructed on our waterway last month! They are constructed all the time, concrete and rip rap. You last statement has clearly discredited you.
Have you ever been on the intracoastal? I would bet to say 95% of properties have either concrete or boulder seawalls my friend.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I've lived on the water my entire life. If seawalls don't cause erosion, and they plainly do, then why aren't they still building them? Because mother nature does it better.

How much seawall do you see in the Intracoastal? Very little.
You are clearly not seeing the same thing I am there is no wave activity on any man made canal or waterway to erode any thing just the smooth action of the tides coming in and going out. I can't see how a seawall adds to any erosion on a inland canal. What waterway do you live on?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 AM

142 posts, read 354,137 times
Sounds like typical non residents acting selfishly for their own benifits. No mangroves, no fish or coastal wildlife. Why else would people come here? I think Harbor hopper should make a call to the DEP and ask them to explain the benefits of having mangroves and the legalities in trimming or even moving the seeds. Their office is probably in Tallahassee, you can stop in on your way out this spring, after you are thru enjoying our beautiful state. I would expect more from an educated man. And no, I'm no tree hugger. I am a native with two waterfront properties with mangroves. Their complex roots do an excellent job controlling erosion for me.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnerdun View Post
Sounds like typical non residents acting selfishly for their own benifits. No mangroves, no fish or coastal wildlife. Why else would people come here? I think Harbor hopper should make a call to the DEP and ask them to explain the benefits of having mangroves and the legalities in trimming or even moving the seeds. Their office is probably in Tallahassee, you can stop in on your way out this spring, after you are thru enjoying our beautiful state. I would expect more from an educated man. And no, I'm no tree hugger. I am a native with two waterfront properties with mangroves. Their complex roots do an excellent job controlling erosion for me.
Actually, I'm a full time resident thank you. I know the benefits of mangroves. Never argued that point. I simply don't prefer them, that's all. My point was simply that our area is over 70% protected from development, where the mangroves and all the wildlife that is associated with it, can grow freely. Residential neighborhoods on the water, in which I live, are almost completely cleared of mangroves. I personally prefer having a view of the water and the occasional dolphins swimming by. We still have plenty of fish and wildlife on my canal.
Just yesterday I pulled three seedling tubes! Then I went over to my neighbor's and pulled a couple more from his property, for which he offered me a Yuengling

Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 AM

142 posts, read 354,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Actually, I'm a full time resident thank you. I know the benefits of mangroves. Never argued that point. I simply don't prefer them, that's all. My point was simply that our area is over 70% protected from development, where the mangroves and all the wildlife that is associated with it, can grow freely. Residential neighborhoods on the water, in which I live, are almost completely cleared of mangroves. I personally prefer having a view of the water and the occasional dolphins swimming by. We still have plenty of fish and wildlife on my canal.
Just yesterday I pulled three seedling tubes! Then I went over to my neighbor's and pulled a couple more from his property, for which he offered me a Yuengling

If I were to do something illegal I would like to think I would be smart enough not to post a confession on a public forum.

You were what? An Engineer? Did you drive the train, blow the whistle, or just wear the striped hat? (No offense meant to train operaters)

Proof of law.

Welcome to the University of Florida's Wetlands Extension site

Hate to be this guy
Jupiter couple face $1.6 million penalty for removing protected plants

Fourth paragraph
What threats do mangroves and seagrass face?

Some good reading on what it is that makes the mangrove so essential to water and wildlife quality.
Mangroves in aquarium (http://toptropicals.com/html/aqua/plants/mangrove/mangrove_eng.htm - broken link)

Full time resident? Maybe now. You are a transplant. Enjoy your retirement, but please don't screw it up for mine.

Should this thread be forwarded to the proper authorities?

Laws are laws. I don't like them all. But they keep a level playing field for us all. You seem to choose which ones do or don't apply to you.

I wonder who held responsible for your actions on your neighbors property? You or them?

Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Well, Hmmmm? I always thought sea walls were made of concrete. I thought water caused erosion. And, anything that you can do to control that helped to mitigate erosion. I've never see concrete cause dirt to wash into the sea. There are a wide variety of things you can due to help slow erosion - not sure you can ever stop mother nature from doing what she wants to do. . .

So, mangroves, bushes, wild beach grasses, and all kinds of plants will have pretty much the same effect. I think the concrete retaining walls in PGI do a fantastic job of keeping my back yard in place. :-)

Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Harbor Hopper, you sir are a piece of work. Me and 95+% of the waterfront population of Florida

You knowingly break conservation laws and laugh about it. Did that little stainless steel ring restrict circulation to your head? SS ring?? What are you talking about?? My waterfront is NOT a protected area!!! Is it MY property and I choose to keep it clear! NONE of YOUR business!

If you are an engineer, then did you take the oath? It says in part, at the end:
"As an engineer, I shall participate in none but honest enterprises.
When needed, my skill and knowledge shall be given without reservation for the public good.
In the performance of duty and in fidelity to my profession, I shall give the utmost.
- The Obligation of the Engineer
An oath freely given is an obligation. So is the obligation to follow the laws of your country. If you don't like them, lobby to get them changed. You don't get to pick and choose, regardless of what you think is right. I have no idea where you got this, but you obviously don't know how many types of engineers there are. I am not any kind of civil engineer. I am a metal and plastics engineer (I manage projects for a mid-size company). You don't take an oath when you receive an engineering degree my friend. You just keep stretching and stretching to get your point across and it's not going to work. I'm soooo done with this ridiculous thread.
Wow, this thread has taken to personal attacks now and should be removed.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,883 times
No they can crack your seawall and cause damage too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area