Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 AM

157 posts, read 389,502 times

Advertisements

Foreclosure filings up, but no 2009-style deluge foreseen | HeraldTribune.com

Interesting article about local foreclosure fillings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthrust View Post
The BIG point that you are missing in your above statement is that incomes are stagnant and actually falling. Add in the higher prices of food, fuel, etc and this compounds the income downward spiral.

Historically yes.. Inflation means higher incomes which leads to higher home prices. We are in a time of the things you NEED to buy too live are inflating in price.. But the things your OWN are deflating in price.. Ie.. Houses.

Stagflation!... you can not compare today to the past 30 years.. Its a whole new world of printed money today!

Just give it 6 months.. Watch the new inventory that will be coming to market. Oh and btw.. Banks are trying to stop investors from flipping distressed properties.. So if investors are going to have a harder time buying reo properties.. Watch out! That means homesteaders will need to pick up the slack.. And we already know that the majority of home purchase these past two years are from investors.
I think you're talking about something completely different than I am.

I'm not talking about the smalltime investor who finances houses & flips them. That smalltime investor is not the one deciding between Euro futures & real estate to the degree that has substantial market impact.

I'm talking about the place where "wages" are not stagnant at all. Investment companies that pool resources of top 1% incomes. Those wages are certainly NOT stagnant.

You're right about the world not being the same place as 30 years ago. 30 years ago, the top 1% would not have nearly as much capital to pool together and drive markets to such massive booms & busts. They were counter-balanced by the majority of "commoners" who did not react as wildly or speculatively.

I'm not really putting it out there that way to incite a debate on wealth inequality but just pointing out that us "commoners" and our collective wages are not nearly as impacting as the top 1% of pooled investments that actually drive markets up/down. Right, wrong, or indifferent...its the new reality.

So, to bring this back to the point I was trying to make. The substantive investors will (imho) put their resources into real estate when/if the Euro becomes less of a safe investment in order to stave off the inflation. The 2007-2009 real estate bubble popping is the exception rather than the rule, regarding where they put their money. Real estate moving forward will be much closer to overall inflation (not to be confused with CPI, mind you) at this point and I believe investors will see it that way as well.

Just because a bubble pops doesn't mean the asset class will always go down compared to inflation.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
any post with three ! usually is guilty of overreacting to something....

Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 AM

159 posts, read 346,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
any post with three ! usually is guilty of overreacting to something....
time will tell :-)

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,543,282 times
Great post Martin, you make some very good points.

I happened to catch an interview on one of the cable news channels on Friday with a former Morgan Stanley analyst. He believes the next wave of foreclosures will not create a free for all in the market because the banks are managing foreclosures much more carefully now than in the past, releasing them into the market in a more timely manner so as not to further erode home prices.

You can find evidence of that in our own local real estate market. Banks are now more likely to have foreclosure homes painted, new carpet and appliances installed to attract higher prices. Many REOs are coming on the market at prices closer to current market, or they are priced to attract bidding wars which end up in a final price that is closer to current market prices.

I think we may see more short sale listings in the next couple of months as homeowners that are upside down on their mortgages start to realize that unless Congress extends the deadline through legislation, the tax breaks that homeowners currently receive on the balance "forgiven" in a short sale by the lien holders through the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act will go away after 12/31/12 and homeowners may, depending on tax bracket, owe income taxes on that forgiven debt on sales completed after the deadline.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM

159 posts, read 346,246 times
Housing Repenetrates Alleged Bottom As NAHB Index Misses By Most In 22 Months
Housing Repenetrates Alleged Bottom As NAHB Index Misses By Most In 22 Months | ZeroHedge

oppsss..

and

Homebuilder Outlook Plunges, Reversing Spring Rebound
News Headlines

oppss again..

hmmm... is it possible that as the first quarter leaves us that things sink again as they have done in the last 3 years??? sounds like it..

Old 04-16-2012, 02:07 PM

398 posts, read 822,636 times
Nope

Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 PM

I hope not cause we just completed contract to buy house in Nokomis--
I want some rising home values now that my price is locked in....

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 PM

378 posts, read 629,673 times
Congratulations, Loves2read!
I shouldn't worry about falling values. Anecdotal observation here in NP and PC sees fewer new listings all the time and houses flying off the shelf once they appear.
I wish you happy in your new house.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM

There was another offer on house we bought--and it was only on market shoet time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area