Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM

103 posts, read 381,403 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Just wondering if one typically needs a sprinkler system to maintain a nicely landscaped yard in Sarasota? I know the summers are wet, but do you get enough rain in winter to avoid installing a system? Perhaps the occasional soaking from the garden hose would suffice ...

My husband and I really try to use native plants when landscaping so that we don't have to use excessive water to keep them alive. Here in Cali it's all dependent upon the sprinkler systems and we're hoping to avoid that. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
I had a student who was a conservationist and she said to use rain barrels. I thought it would be a good idea in the summer when it rains, but what about the winter when we don't get much rain.

Here are the rain barrels if you want to take a look: http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/conservation/rainbarrel/

We have a sprinkler system at our house, but rarely use it. We have bahia grass and it goes dormant in the winter. I hand water my landscaping with a hose, even though I could just set the sprinkler system for the landscaping only. I prefer to hand water. It is part of the fun of gardening. Our area has watering limits. 2 days per week and you have to go to the county web site to see which days and times you are allowed to water.

I guess it depends on what type of grass you have. Some have to be watered and others do not. As far as new landscaping, you can water as often as you want when they are first planted. And during the summer rainy season, you rarely have to water.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Many counties have water use restrictions. In Sarasota county we can use water for yards only one day a week after 4PM. People still refer to the 'rainy' season, but many years in the last twelve have been below normal rain fall. For Jan-Mar, my rain gauge is already 6.31 below normal.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,749 times
One more plus for having a well. No watering restrictions!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
If you have a well you still have to follow the watering restrictions. It is the water table that gets low and the well pulls from that water table. My neighbor thought he could water anytime because he had a well, and he got two warning notices. So be careful and follow the restrictions.

Sarasota County - Sarasota County Environmental Services Water

Current Water Restrictions for unincorporated Sarasota County as of Jan. 16, 2007
Sarasota County reminds all residents of unincorporated Sarasota County of the following landscape and irrigation water restrictions. These restrictions apply whether the source of water is a well, pond, or from a utility system. Go the web site above to see the restrictions.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,979 times
from what i see the grass can take a beating, but your plantings, as long as they're not too exotic can do well on their own, with only an occassional soaking, maaybe once a week.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,749 times
Thanks for the link. It says no restrictions for handwatering and I hand water so I'm in the clear.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,837,509 times
nature1

If you want a green lawn you will need an irrigation system, rain is not reliable to keep a lawn green.
Well water can be too salty to use as irrigation as we found out, especially during a drought, the well water is pulling saltier water and applying it to the lawn and plants.

Talk to your local extension agent about alternatives. Many people are now planting minimal lawn and using well mulched plants that do not require much water. Other people tear out their lawns and out down stone for low- or no-maintenance. One of our neighbors did this last year and another down the street is doing that as we speak.

We removed our dying St. Augustine lawn and put in bahia grass which needs less water and no chemicals. Yes it came with some weeds but they are green too and look nice. It still needs water in the dry winter season but much less than St. Augustine.

As water gets more expensive more and more people will have xeriscaped (low water) yards. It's the "green" thing to do. :-)

Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Water restrictions [less revenue to county] water use/sewer rates increased to make up for lost revenue, people xeriscape to use less water, rates increased to make up for lost revenue. You will pay the same amount for not watering your yard as you did only a few years ago for watering your yard 3 times a week.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM

279 posts, read 578,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature1 View Post
Hi All,

Just wondering if one typically needs a sprinkler system to maintain a nicely landscaped yard in Sarasota? I know the summers are wet, but do you get enough rain in winter to avoid installing a system? Perhaps the occasional soaking from the garden hose would suffice ...

My husband and I really try to use native plants when landscaping so that we don't have to use excessive water to keep them alive. Here in Cali it's all dependent upon the sprinkler systems and we're hoping to avoid that. Thanks!
we have a drip system that goes to specific plants around the yard and we run it for an hour in the morning 3-4 times a week if it is dry out. if it rains maybe 2x a week. it uses very little water. We don't water anywhere else. I want to find out about doing rain barrels and using that with the drip system too. we get enough rain in the summer to stock up lol I have no idea how that all works though :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area