Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM

697 posts, read 1,169,993 times

Advertisements

Well,

Finally purchased two lots. For past 4-6 months looked online for home plans with no luck...based off what we were looking to do:

Smaller home (we've have the 4000 sq ft, then 2700 sq ft and now 1600-1700 sq ft)
Large enough bedroom for my son (most 1600 sq ft plans have small 10X10 or smaller second & third rooms)
Proper layout to accommodate a bathroom off lanai for pool

So I drew up a set of plans on my PC using home design SW. Submitted them to my builder who tweaked them and sent to architect. We have our first official set of plans and are allowed one major change (outside walls).

The wife and I would love to discuss this with people who are familiar a little with home design and maybe could give us some hints/pointers.

How would we go about that?

Thanks to all on this site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
where to begin with the questions--
are there any restrictions on how much area of your lot can be built up?
how old is your son?
think about hobbies, activities, storage, number of garages you need?
who is restricting you to one wall change? It's your money and you should be able to make as many changes as you like-as long as you are willing to pay for the plan changes

Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
where to begin with the questions--
Looks like your on a start

Quote:
are there any restrictions on how much area of your lot can be built up?
Nope..not that I am aware of

Quote:
how old is your son?
10, be 11 in January

Quote:
think about hobbies, activities, storage, number of garages you need?
I am..already have 22 x 22 garage planned with RV pad behind the garage for my Mom in the next two years.

Quote:
who is restricting you to one wall change? It's your money and you should be able to make as many changes as you like-as long as you are willing to pay for the plan changes
That's just it..I would MUCH prefer to get at a minimum the house exterior design finished..which I believe it is. I need more help with the master bedroom/bath inside layout....and just as many additional eyes and suggestions as I can source.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Here are some changing home trends in 2012

Floors – Carpet, linoleum and even ceramic tile floors are being replaced by wood flooring.

Countertops – Laminate countertops are making a comeback versus granite. The latest European-inspired laminate counters that offer high definition texture and natural finishes are often preferred. Many people are still buying granite though.

Bathroom – Bronze is the preference for bathroom fixtures such as faucets, towel bars, and shower heads. Walk in showers with a seat are replacing bath tubs in the master bath.

Paint – Flashy paint colors are out and warm colors and earth tones are in. Homeowners are adding color with accessories instead of painting the walls bright colors.

Outdoor Living Spaces – This is not a new trend, but is becoming more popular. Adding an outdoor space such as a patio or deck makes the house look and feel larger. This is in addition to the traditional lanai in Florida.

Green and Energy Efficient – Environment-friendly and energy saving features include upgrading the HVAC system, windows and doors and adding more insulation and solar heating.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
consider getting tinted windows. They come from the factory as such and there is no film. The cost for tint is very reasonable.

there are different levels of tint. You can see out just fine but during the day folks can't see inside due to the tint.

Also the tint helps with the sun.

get as many exterior hose bibbs as possible. they always come in handy.

get toilets that are comfort height ( I think this is the common term). They are 2-3 inches taller than standard . You dont know they are taller at all BUT if you use another toilet that is "standard" you will feel as if you are sitting on the floor. That couple inches is much easier to get on/off no matter how old you are. You will never be sorry if you do this. Also get elongated toilet as opposed to round.

keep the exterior ac condensor away from your bedroom. You dont want to hear if while trying to sleep.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM

142 posts, read 354,376 times
Tall toilets, isonene (spray in) insulation in attic, insulate garage and it's door, Quality plumbing fixtures, Uponor water lines (I avoid copper and CPVC), Heat recovery on A/C (it captures lost heat from A/C and stores in your 80 gal water heater), LED lighting, no wood or carpet in baths and kitchen, real wood cabinets, Recessed shower floors that don't require a membrane, large conduit to islands for future uses, 36" high cabinets in bathrooms, timers or humidity sensors on bath exaust fans, Ceiling fans in each bathroom(we love this one) it dries the bathroom and towels quick, reducing mildew growth.

Then there's all the solar and water reclaiming stuff that may be too over the top.

I do plumbing in large custom homes in Sarasota and these are just a few of the things off the top of my head that I hear and notice in them.

I say, do what makes you happy, don't follow trends or what everyone else is doing. Unless you are going to sell it soon, and you don't sound like that is the case.

Garages can't be too big and a 8 foot door height is nice.

Don't forget a mancave.

Last edited by gitnerdun; 09-25-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Some may consider these minor items but often missed when building a home.
Tell your A/C duct work installer to install an exhaust out duct over your microwave.
Don't forget a drawer bank with kitchen cabinets, installed between fridge and range.
Pay the extra money to install a higher SEER heat pump [code is 13 and that is what is usually installed]
Install a programable thermostat and make sure it is for a heat pump.
Hose bibs- usually only two, at pipe entry at house and side of garage. Have an additional bib installed at rear of house.
Have electrician install ceiling fan hangers in living room and bedrooms with wall switch in addition to the wall switched outlet, even if you're not going to install fans right away. Think about kitchen lighting other than fluorescent. Also don't forget under cabinet lights for counter lighting. You might also want a TV cable outlet in kitchen.
Make sure the TV outlets are installed on the walls YOU want and not where the electrician wants them.
Install a ceiling light fixture in the master bath shower[or over the tub][and a no window bath can have a separate switch for exhaust fan not wired to light switch]
And living room size- 15' wide, wall with no windows, should be minimum not only for proportion but for TV viewing, especially if the TV is 47" or bigger.
Design for resale. A potential buyer may not like chartruse or pink floor tile or dark wood kitchen cabinets.

Last edited by d4g4m; 09-25-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Don't wood floors warp in FL? And bronze bathroom fixtures will look dated 10 years from now, in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM

142 posts, read 354,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Don't wood floors warp in FL? And bronze bathroom fixtures will look dated 10 years from now, in my opinion.
Chrome and white are my choices. And Gerber Avalanche is the best performing toilet IMO.
http://www.gerberonline.com/download.../avalanche.pdf

No badger 5 disposer, step up to the ISE pro compact. No rust interior.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions..I'm going to meddle through and make a living document...then at the appropriate time..discuss with builder.

The home will be an ICF 1600 +/- under air..about 2400 under roof
Will have Low-E, Impact widows, sliders. Fiberglass, Hurricane impact insulated doors.

Garage will be insulated (22x22 currently drawn out)..will install at build or later (have electric rough -in) a multi-split A/C unit for garage.

We had PEX in out Tennessee home and had no issues..plus inspectors really liked it. Is it more expensive than CPVC?..why isn't it standard here in Florida?

Ceiling fans in bathroom....would be nice if ceiling is high enough...what height would you need?

We will have a company give us an estimate/suggestions on our closets...putting all dresser type clothes inside walk-ins. Since this is a smaller home..We felt eliminating the bedroom dressers would open things up

Keep the suggestions coming..thanks a bunch

Flooring..wife likes tile...but we can talk to someone about wood style flooring (i like Bamboo)..think a darker florring would complement a lighter painted wall..not sure

Flooring in bedrooms will be a soft, high traffic Berber with 8/10 lb mat underneath

HVAC will be Seer 17 with Humidistat/Digital Thermometer..possibly zoned..will depend on A/C calcs expert (Manual J & D)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area