Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 15,388 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Me and my fiance are moving to Bradenton in two months. We have three kids ages 6 and 1 year old identical twin girls. I have been doing some heavy research in the Bradenton area, and I'm getting mixed reviews on which area of Bradenton to stay away from. At first I was reading reviews to stay away from the West side, and now I have been reading in this forum to stay away from the east? Everybody seems to agree University Parkway is safe. Can I get some reviews from people that live here and know exactly how Bradenton is? Plus my second question is I'm a cook/chef and my fiance is a CNA, Is there jobs down there in these fields?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
So you are planning on moving down here with 3 kids to support & neither of you have jobs lined up?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Yes, you'll find a job as a cook all day long for $8 an hour. My husband has at least ten applications for chef/line cooks per day and they will not pay more than that. No one will. He currently has TWO CIA grads and a Johnston & Wales grads that are line cooks. This is in one of the nicest, busiest restaurants on the southwest coast.

CNA? All day long again at $8 per hour.

How are you going to support three kids on that?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes, you'll find a job as a cook all day long for $8 an hour. My husband has at least ten applications for chef/line cooks per day and they will not pay more than that. No one will. He currently has TWO CIA grads and a Johnston & Wales grads that are line cooks. This is in one of the nicest, busiest restaurants on the southwest coast.

CNA? All day long again at $8 per hour.

How are you going to support three kids on that?
Hey, he's "Moneymyke" -- says it all.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 PM

Damn does anyone got any good news?...@ PixStix....Of course I'm going to line something up before I go, because obviously I got three kids to support. Which I've already been in contact of the Manager of Beef O Gradys to set up an interview...and @ blueherons..... What area are you talking about? because what we discussed was way higher than $8.00?? I have been in touch with a couple other restaurants in the Bradenton area that are hireing...so I'm confused. @ kiggy you better believe it brotha...lol...so back to my question, can someone tell me some GOOD news about the Bradenton area or other surrounding areas that would be a good place to raise my family?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
The wesley chapel may fit your jobs better since a new hospital and a new walmart will soon open.
Florida pays not much.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymyke View Post
Damn does anyone got any good news?...@ PixStix....Of course I'm going to line something up before I go, because obviously I got three kids to support. Which I've already been in contact of the Manager of Beef O Gradys to set up an interview...and @ blueherons..... What area are you talking about? because what we discussed was way higher than $8.00?? I have been in touch with a couple other restaurants in the Bradenton area that are hireing...so I'm confused. @ kiggy you better believe it brotha...lol...so back to my question, can someone tell me some GOOD news about the Bradenton area or other surrounding areas that would be a good place to raise my family?
Jobs are hard to come by , a friend lives there 5 kids in a 2 bedroom home and gets food stamps.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Call it "tough love".... as we can see disaster written all over this. Thousands of people do the exact same thing you do every day. Sunshine & palm trees seems to take every ounce of reasoning & life planning away for some reason..

With supposedly only 2 months until your move & you were asking if jobs were available, it's obvious you do not have any job secured & when children are involved, it's just irresponsible. Getting an interview at Beef o Bradys (not Gradys) doesn't mean you will get the job. It's just an interview. You will not be able to sufficiently support 3 children down here with a line cook job. Then what happens? Your family ends up getting government help with our tax dollars. That's what is irritating to us locals about the whole thing. Way too many people move down for "fun & sun" & when the vacation is quickly over & real life sets in- it's not so rosy. It's also why Florida gets such a bad rap sometimes. People move here unprepared, fail, move back & then whine & moan that Florida sucks.

Obviously, your girlfriend should secure a job also as you will need her income with ANY chance to make it. I surely hope you both do get alot more than $8/hr or otherwise, YOU WILL STRUGGLE WITH 3 KIDS.

As for what part of Bradenton you should live in? Not worth discussing at this point really. Assuming you are going to rent, how do you know what you can afford when you don't even know what your income is going to be? You want a good area, you are going to pay more obviously. Where are your jobs going to be located?

My advice to you- push your move date back, start saving extra money(don't even think of coming here with no savings to fall back on), schedule a trip & interview as much as you can, secure a job beforehand, budget what you can afford for rent, find a place, then move. In that order.

Do a search of the forum & how many people come on here asking the exact same thing & in the same situation as you. You will see time & time again the same advice given to them as I've just given you.

I'm sorry this is harsh but it is reality. If it was just the 2 of you, I wouldn't feel nearly the need to respond in such a manner (although my thoughts would be essentially the same) but with kids involved, I'm telling you, you need to re-think your process.

Last edited by PixiStix; 02-01-2013 at 04:07 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 AM

@ PixiStix thank you so much for the advice, I definately see where your coming from. I am working on employment right now, but my next question is... Is it like this with the no jobs all over Florida?? or is there another part of Florida I should be looking that has a better job market?? but like I said I've already called a few restaurants and they are hiring, and the starting pay was from $11.00 to $14.00 depending on which one it was. I don't think that is that bad seeing that Florida doesn't have a state income tax which evens the low pay out. I live in Cape Cod,MA all my life where the rent for a three bedroom ranges from $1,200 to $2,000 a month and the pay isn't too far off from the 11-14 down there in Florida, so I know all about struggling. So please let me know what area I should be looking for a better job market....if any....lol...Thanks for the "Tough Love" but my eyes are definately wide open on this move because I do hear all the horror stories of Florida, and I don't want to be one of those statistics.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
@ PixiStix thank you so much for the advice, I definately see where your coming from. I am working on employment right now, but my next question is... Is it like this with the no jobs all over Florida?? or is there another part of Florida I should be looking that has a better job market?? but like I said I've already called a few restaurants and they are hiring, and the starting pay was from $11.00 to $14.00 depending on which one it was. I don't think that is that bad seeing that Florida doesn't have a state income tax which evens the low pay out. I live in Cape Cod,MA all my life where the rent for a three bedroom ranges from $1,200 to $2,000 a month and the pay isn't too far off from the 11-14 down there in Florida, so I know all about struggling. So please let me know what area I should be looking for a better job market....if any....lol...Thanks for the "Tough Love" but my eyes are definately wide open on this move because I do hear all the horror stories of Florida, and I don't want to be one of those statistics.
Trust me, I understand the excitement & the urge to "move down right now". Again, people mistakenly do it all the time. I just wanted to stress the importance of proper planning because it will make all the difference in whether you guys live happily ever after here or go back up north jobless & bankrupt (not to mention all the turmoil you will introduce into your kids lives) As long as your eyes are wide open going into it, that's an obvious positive.

It's like this all over Florida for the most part- Sarasota area is no different really. I'm not saying there is no place better to go for you but overall, it is what it is. Florida is very much a feast or famine type state. Many areas cater to tourism & during high season, things are busy & people are hiring but during off-season, things are pretty slow & many people lose jobs. The service/retail industry is cut throat & people are clamouring for these entry level spots & there simply isn't enough to go around. If you can get $14/hr. in a line cook position, then I would jump on it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in & give you some more advice.. I honestly don't know where else to tell you to look where it might be better.

Last edited by PixiStix; 02-01-2013 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area