Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 AM

11 posts, read 17,557 times

Advertisements

Ok so I finally talked her in to coming down to visit Sarasota we are coming down for a long weekend because thats all we have time for. We are coming down from 6/21 in the afternoon till 6/24. i am already sold on the moving idea but she is not. I need some help finding a few things that will really show the area to her. I need to try to get her excitement up about the area. Being that we dont have much time I need to really plan this out. I am thinking I want to show her that bike trail that goes from Sarasota to Venice as she likes to ride road bikes. I am also thinking about renting some paddle boards or a canoe and checking out the mangroves and maybe trying to see some manatees. She loves ice cream so I hear Armands Cir has a good spot for that. Is it worth trying to head up to Bradenton, Clearwater, or Tampa to check them out. I am thinking we will just get a different hotel each night so we can really check out as much as possible. Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 AM

547 posts, read 927,060 times
There is an active cycling scene in Sarasota, including plenty of female cyclists. Make a quick stop at Village Bikes and Sarasota Cycles on Osprey Ave.and look into group rides. To check out the Legacy Trail I would suggest going to Oscar Scherer State Park. Just a little south of sarasota. You can not only visit the park but have access to the Legacy Trail via the park.
Renting Kayaks at South Lido and exploring the mangrove tunnels could be fun.There are vendors at the park near South Lido. Lido beach is across the street and is often overlooked as a fun place to walk. You pass through St. Armands to get there and can stop for an ice cream. I've been to the other places you mentioned.Sarasota has all you need.
Mantees may be scarce as the water is warm, you will have better luck seeing a dolphin. Want local flavor? Lunch at the New Pass bait shop, get a burger and sit at a picnic table overlooking New Pass.

As for a LEO career.City of Sarasota: Online Services

Sarasota County: Sarasota County Sheriff's Office - Careers

Let us know how things work out.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 AM

104 posts, read 253,122 times
+1 on the Village Bikes idea. Great shop with friendly staff.

We do a lot of cycling and have rented pretty nice road bikes from them in the past.

One reason Sarasota is on our short-list of move-to spots (from Baltimore, BTW) is for the cycling. The road that runs the length of Longboat Key from Sarasota all the way to the tip of Anna Maria Island is just a great ride. Maybe around 40 or 45 miles round trip. Flat, wide shoulder or dedicated bike path, moderately to magnificently scenic, relatively mellow drivers. For half of that ride, the wind will be at your back.

If your GF is serious about cycling, you definitely need to get her on a road bike there. Roads in so much better condition than in Baltimore area that you really can't compare them.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 AM

11 posts, read 17,557 times
You guys are awesome! Thank you for the input I will definitely check all that out. I just booked a hotel in dowtown Sarasota. A couple blocks off main street. Its called Americas Best Value Inn Sarasota. I am really excited about heading down and am hoping she will like it.

She is really serious about biking. She would be on it everyday if the weather would allow it. We don't have too much time while we are down there so I don't know if she will have any time to ride or not. If I can find some I will definitely get her on the road.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Now I just have to plan this trip. I have to take the TABE test while I am down there. Anyone know anything about it. Is it Easy?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:41 AM

547 posts, read 927,060 times
Tabe test: TABE Test Practice Questions - Help your TABE Exam Score with free TABE Test Preparation
I've taken it. Being away from school for a long time, I did not find it easy. I did pass.
The hotel is close to both the Sarasota Police Dept, and the Sheriff's Office across the street.
She will be close to Sarasota Memorial and a lot of Health Care. MD'S etc.
Tell her not to judge the cycling scene from the location of that hotel.(the traffic is bad)
You will be close to Main St. Go all the way west down to Marina Jack, have a snack at O'leary's and discuss your future. Life is good. Let us know how it works out.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM

10 posts, read 13,582 times
Default Couple relocating from Buffalo

My girlfriend and I (late 20s) are also relocating to the Bradenton area and I have been seeing mixed reviews on areas and apartments alike. My research thus far indicates that University Parkway is a decent area. Conflicting opinions on West Bradenton. Complexes I have in mind are Champions Walk, Harbour Point, The Gates, and Cypress Winds. Trying to find something around the $800-$850 mark and must be pet friendly. I have my MBA and am hoping to land a job in banking/finance. My girlfriend has her masters in mental health counseling. Willing to commute for jobs. Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

We are aiming to relocate by November but WILL NOT relocate without having jobs in place. Thanks again for any comments.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 AM

153 posts, read 192,156 times
jfranco-

Without looking at each complex and just speaking in general I personally I would chose the University Parkway area hands down out of the two. I google mapped one location you mentioned and its on an area onCortez Road that makess me want to pull my hair out driving through it. The University Parkway area also has easier access to 75 if one of you has to commute to St Pete or Tampa. If you're waiting until you have a job lined up its really moot to discuss apartments, I'd wait until then to decide. On a side note though I do know someone who lived at Aaron Lakes apartments on Cortez, it's in the area you were looking, in your price range, pet friendly, and was acceptable. Not a place I'd call home for years, but my friends used it as a transitional place till they found a home and it served them well. Again though, based on commuting and just general area I'd caution you to look elsewhere.

Is your heart set on Bradenton? There is a TON of apartment complexes at the tip of the St Pete area near the 275 bridge to Tampa and you're a stones throw away from some heavy hitters in Finance in St Pete at the Carrillon Center (Raymond James, FIS, Franklin Templeton, etc), as well as all of Tampa. When I buy a home in the area we'll definitely be back down in Sarasota/Bradenton and commuting, but for renting for now we choose to come up to St Pete. We found the prices to be better than Sarasota.

Good luck on the job search from the north, as someone in Finance who did it I know it's not easy. So worth it though! Best of luck.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
jfranco-

Without looking at each complex and just speaking in general I personally I would chose the University Parkway area hands down out of the two. I google mapped one location you mentioned and its on an area onCortez Road that makess me want to pull my hair out driving through it. The University Parkway area also has easier access to 75 if one of you has to commute to St Pete or Tampa. If you're waiting until you have a job lined up its really moot to discuss apartments, I'd wait until then to decide. On a side note though I do know someone who lived at Aaron Lakes apartments on Cortez, it's in the area you were looking, in your price range, pet friendly, and was acceptable. Not a place I'd call home for years, but my friends used it as a transitional place till they found a home and it served them well. Again though, based on commuting and just general area I'd caution you to look elsewhere.

Is your heart set on Bradenton? There is a TON of apartment complexes at the tip of the St Pete area near the 275 bridge to Tampa and you're a stones throw away from some heavy hitters in Finance in St Pete at the Carrillon Center (Raymond James, FIS, Franklin Templeton, etc), as well as all of Tampa. When I buy a home in the area we'll definitely be back down in Sarasota/Bradenton and commuting, but for renting for now we choose to come up to St Pete. We found the prices to be better than Sarasota.

Good luck on the job search from the north, as someone in Finance who did it I know it's not easy. So worth it though! Best of luck.
Great advice. University Parkway is an EXCELLENT choice, very nice and safe area, close to everything including the interstate for easy travel. I also agree that prices will be better in St. Pete. It all comes down to where you will be working.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 13,582 times
Thanks for the suggestions. We were thinking Bradenton because its somewhat middle ground between Sarasota and Tampa. I'm sure job ops would be better near Tampa so I'll look into Tampa / St Pete area. Is Cortez bad area or just bad traffic in Bradenton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area