Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM

10 posts, read 36,104 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to retire to the Sarasota/Bradenton area. We're coming from an affluent, upper middle class area, and we're looking for a similar demographic.

We don't want to live on a barrier island, and we're not looking to spend seven figures on a home, but neither do we want to be more than about 30 minutes outside of downtown Sarasota.

In what areas should we focus our search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
It would be easier to suggest neighborhoods if we knew your general price point.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
It would be easier to suggest neighborhoods if we knew your general price point.
Obviously an upscale area is going to be more expensive. I want to know where the best neighborhoods are. I don't want to give a number, and then have the answers limited by that number.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dog Ate My Homework View Post
Obviously an upscale area is going to be more expensive. I want to know where the best neighborhoods are. I don't want to give a number, and then have the answers limited by that number.

"The Dog Ate My Homework" said he does not want a 7 figure house but knows upscale will be more expensive. From my research from afar, I would agree that upscale is expensive. This is from the perspective that I live in an affluent CA neighborhood, and things are not exactly cheap here.

"Sunshine Rules" How about if you suggest neighborhoods with the price point of $700,0000 to $999,9999? There are others of us out here interested in that answer. If you think there are affluent neighborhoods priced under $700,000, I am sure there are many people interested in that.

"Dog" you might use zillow to see where houses with your specifics for rooms and square footage are located and how they are priced. You probably have to decide how far away from the bay you are willing to be.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
"Dog" you might use zillow to see where houses with your specifics for rooms and square footage are located and how they are priced. You probably have to decide how far away from the bay you are willing to be.
I've done that, and as you know, prices don't tell the whole story. For example, $500k will buy a fantastic house in a less upscale area, or it will buy a little cottage in a more upscale area.

I want to know the best areas *before* I start spending time evaluating individual properties.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
The Oaks. It's in Osprey.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Also Lakewood Ranch. Just named a top retirement community by Where to Retire Magazine:

Lakewood Ranch named top retirement community | Business | Bradenton Herald

Some of the wealthiest people in the area live there, but it is huge, with communities at different price points, and it's own "town." Definitely worth looking into. It is also near the brand new upscale mega-mall being built in that area.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
i dont know, but it sounds like you want everybody else do your homework...

Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
Yes with no clues to go on. Where is Carnac the Great?

Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
Well, Einstein, the reason I came to this forum *was* to do my homework.
Or perhaps you think I'd be better off just flying down there and asking around?

Is it really unreasonable to ask people who are familiar with the area what the upscale areas are?
If someone asked me that question about Northern NJ, I could give a pretty good idea about what towns are upscale, what towns are middle class, and what towns are to be avoided. Is it somehow different for Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area