Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 AM

71 posts, read 145,816 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me, or give me any kind of information, about what type of programs are available in the area for young adults with autism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
My grandson is 14, he belongs to FACE Autism in Sarasota. He goes to social skills classes. Not sure what programs they have for different age groups, but you could contact them and ask. I think it is geared more toward children, but they have a parent group too. They could maybe refer you somewhere. Web link: face autism Good luck. It would be interesting to see what you find out. As my grandson gets older he is going to need support services since he has autism and epilepsy. There doesn't seem to be any many local resources as we had in NY.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM

71 posts, read 145,816 times
Thanks, TamRE. We are from northern NJ, and yes, there seems to be more programs up here; however, I'm sure there must be some programs for young adults in FLA ... Sarasota or Naples. Afterall, there are a number of seniors who live there, and I'm sure a number of them must have an autistic child -- what happens to these people? Do they just stay with the parents until the parents die? If so, then what happens to them afterwards?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
I know there are some group homes around. That is where I would think they would be geared toward. I don't think my step-daughter is thinking that far ahead, even though she should be. She is saying she will keep her son in high school until age 21. She will probably have him living with her forever, by choice. He gets social security disability.

I told her to send him to Sarasota County Technical Institute to learn a career. In NY we had job coaches for special need students. They went to school until age 18 and then got placed in employment. They were taught how to ride a bus, prepare meals, do their own check book, etc. Not sure what programs are available here. I know when I taught at North Port High School they had a separate class for special needs students and they were taught life skills. So, I would assume they would be taught the same in other Sarasota schools.

However, if you have an adult with autism, again, I am not sure what is available. Here is a link I found. Try contacting some of these places: Adult Autism Support Sarasota FL - Sarasota FL, autism, Sarasota FL Asperger down syndrome, Sarasota FL Asperger syndrome, Sarasota FL adult autism, Sarasota FL adults with autism, Sarasota FL adults and autism, Sarasota FL autism support, Sarasota F

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
Hi-- You Must check out Ave Maria Prep/Shepherds field. 2 year college program accepting McKay scholarships, and employability-specializing in kids/young adults on spectrum. They offer hands on training in the field of agriculture with a 2 year degree with job placement. We recently received government funding and are looking to add housing : ) Shepherd's Field Agricultural College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area