Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 AM

490 posts, read 624,333 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why some people think that bad drivers and traffic congestion is unique to the Sarasota area. 41 sucks. Stipulated. I get it. Sometimes even though it sucks it's the best or only choice but really if you just accept the fact that it's not going to be a quick and easy route and practice defensive driving measures your going to make it where you're going 999,9 out of 10,000 times. And by the 10,000th time you'd probably wish you were dead anyway so it's mostly a wash.

I think what many year round residents respond to is the difference between "in season" and "out of season. Even though the traffic in season isn't appreciably worse than many other metropolitan areas it's the fact that driving here is so different from one season to the next. Just when you get used to summer traffic and short lines it changes dramatically. In NYC or Atlanta it sucks all year but people just get used to it. Here, just when you get comfortable here the rug is snatched out from under you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 9,410 times
I live in Bradenton and commute via 301 to South Sarasota.
The issue isn't so much the volume of traffic as the types of drivers.
Think little old lady/man sitting behind a very large sedan which they are unable to see past the end of the car.
Now add NO DRIVING SKILLS and ZERO COURTESY to the other drives on the road.
Welcome to Sarasota/Bradenton.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM

14 posts, read 35,873 times
Traffic becomes absolutely ridiculous.
Snow birds clog the roads. While the speed limit tends to be higher here than other states, it doesn't make up for the elderly who are very poor drivers.
Just wait and see. Anyone who tells you traffic isn't an issue during the winter is completely wrong. Completely wrong. P.s. AVOID anna maria island during season. One lane roads and 30mph with high congestion makes it impossible.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 PM

182 posts, read 272,981 times
Not blaming the rich at all! Just an observation that the wealthy can afford to enjoy the 3 to 4 pleasant months in Florida per year, and then go elsewhere the rest of the year. Ordinary folks like us do not have that option! Or as one friend puts it, "we have only 4 nice months in the year, and what happens? We get swamped with old people and it gets dark by 6 p.m.!"

Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM

398 posts, read 822,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
Not blaming the rich at all! Just an observation that the wealthy can afford to enjoy the 3 to 4 pleasant months in Florida per year, and then go elsewhere the rest of the year. Ordinary folks like us do not have that option! Or as one friend puts it, "we have only 4 nice months in the year, and what happens? We get swamped with old people and it gets dark by 6 p.m.!"
The only thing worse than putting up with snowbirds 4 months out of the year would be putting up with Cleveland weather in the winter. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSnowbirds View Post
The only thing worse than putting up with snowbirds 4 months out of the year would be putting up with Cleveland weather in the winter. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
Been there. Done that. The sun does not come out for 6 weeks straight in Jan-Feb. The whole town develops seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Nothing like an entire city depressed together. When the sun does come out again, you can look forward to a storm that drops 14 inches of wet heavy snow in late March or early April. But that is not so bad, because at least the temperature is above zero and you no longer have to put the electric dip stick in your car to make sure it starts.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,435 times
The thing is traffic it up over what it was a few years ago or even last summer. As more and more people start to move back its only going to get worse. If you don't like it now your going to darn right hate it this winter.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 PM

Default January traffic report

I was in town the week of Jan 8-15, and Hubby, who remained in CA, was waiting with bated breath for the traffic report. Just how bad is the snowbird traffic? I have answers. My answers do not include Siesta Key or Main Street downtown as I didn't make any trips there this time.

The heaviest traffic I saw was on the south trail starting at the intersection of 301 & Mound down to about Stickney Point. The speed limit is 45mph and traffic usually moves at 45mph. This time traffic only moved at 35mph. That was enough to make me 5 minutes late for my appointment. I called the person I was meeting and he though I was calling to ***** him out because he was late because the traffic was "so bad." When we got there, we commiserated about how horrible traffic was.

In contrast, in LA no one is considered late unless it exceeds 15-20 minutes. Less than that is just assumed that you are stuck in a traffic jam that is not moving or at best is creeping at 5mph or you are looking for a parking place. In LA if you want to be on time you add an hour to how long you think it will take to get there. I couldn't believe I was whining so much about being 5 minutes late in Sarasota. What kind of alternate reality is this? It is all expectations. In Sarasota, you do not expect to be slowed down by traffic and when it happens, it is sort of shocking.

I drove over to St Armands twice. I did not notice any increase in bridge traffic and I had no trouble finding parking. The sidewalk cafes were bustling. And you had to be more alert for pedestrians at crosswalks. Lots of dog walkers and families with baby carriages.

The neighborhood traffic was not noticeably heavier. Driving through downtown to banks, etc was not a big deal. More traffic but not bad. Only noticeable because it is so empty in summer. The north trail was not heavy. Lakewood Ranch didn't seem bad, but I don't go there enough to compare it to other seasons.

There was a motorcycle event and lots and lots of cycles in town roaring up and down the trail. That was different.

The main difference I noticed between January vs summer or fall was parking lots are full and it is harder to park.

Now about those restaurants you can't get in. Here is the seating report from my regulars. Yes I know it is a small sample.

The Toasted Mango on the north trail is fabulous for breakfast. They have a small parking lot but in the summer there is usually one open space. In the fall there are no open spaces and you might as well park on the street. In January, there are 3 cars trying to find a space that doesn't exist in that small parking lot. So if you happen to have one of the existing spaces, you can't get until the parking hoverers sort themselves out. In the summer and fall, you can always get a table, but you have to wait from them to clean it. In the winter, there is a waiting line of about 15 minutes and 15 people which you can bypass if you eat at the counter.

Nicks on Ospery. A friend and I decided to grab dinner at 6pm. Found parking behind the building. Went in and not a single person was there. All the tables were reserved for 7:30. Assured them we would be gone before 7:30 and we had our choice of tables. Same deal at Hillview Grill. I frequent their happy hour for the food. It was no more crowded than in the summer. Tables all had reservations for later.

Morton's Market. The store was always full and crowded. Parking lot full. Outside tables--always open.

Starbucks at Bahia Vista Inside had about the same number of people sitting around and you could always find a seat. Outside seating was more full but again there are tables to be had. Instead of 1-2 people in line, sometimes there are 5 or 6. In the summer there is only a long line at the drive through at about 8 am. In January there are random and unpredictable lines of 6-7 cars.

So there you have it. It is only really bad because you get spoiled by how good it is in the summer.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Cardiff - it will increase much more in February and March, but mostly on the beaches especially Siesta, and downtown. Other places it is more bearable. I usually just stay away from the areas that get too crowded.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Cardiff - it will increase much more in February and March, but mostly on the beaches especially Siesta, and downtown. Other places it is more bearable. I usually just stay away from the areas that get too crowded.
Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area