Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Shame on you Ben. That is uncalled for and unnecessary. Your remark comes across as disdaining and that is exactly what OP complains about as wealth attitude.
How can it be called a wealth attitude? If you can afford Arbys, suddenly I'm wealthy? Wouldnt that be the wealthy, middle class, low class, and most homeless people? Everyone buys Arbys! The point is, Arbys isnt even expensive.

What can you eat for dinner that would cost less at the grocery store?? Dinner for one is going to run you $5 for a "nothing special" meal. Let alone the cost to wash the dishes, clean them, drive there etc........ OP cant even feed himself for 24 hours if this is the case! Thats 3 meals a day!

You will find more often than not that people who complain about not having money waste it on unnecessary things. I would bet lunch that if you went into the OP's house you'd find super high speed Internet access, lots of video games that are $60 each with a LIVE subscription, cable TV, A/C set too low, more car insurance than necessary, lots of items that should be sold as they are losing value, and a car that guzzles more gas than its worth, some combination of this. And probably a cigarette smoker or pot smoker or alcohol consumer too! (Hows that for $100-$400 a month?!). And of course we'll hear back with a reply and this being the quote that s/he does none of it and its not his/her fault and all that stuff because they dont want to blame themselves or live up to it. I fully anticipate that reply.

So while the OP (or others) may not like my suggestion, if you cant afford to go out for $10, then you really need to re prioritize your finances! Life choices put people in the position they are in -- every time -- all the time. Short of a natural disaster or getting fired from a place unexpectedly that you've worked at for decades or medical emergencies!

My "move to Nigeria" comment was intended as a tongue in cheek way to say the cost of living is lower elsewhere and if you just cant make it here, then find yourself a better job elsewhere and move there. What about the oil work in the midwest where you get $150k per year for doing not so hard work? Oh, they dont want to live THERE though! Aaaaaaaaaah. The "I want it all just give it to me" attitude.

I'm not rich. I'm not poor. I'm just a guy with a wife and a five kids who can happily pay his bills because of GOOD life choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 AM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
I'm sure anyone privy to the details of your life beninfl, could name a few choices you've made in life that were not so good.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
How can it be called a wealth attitude? If you can afford Arbys, suddenly I'm wealthy? Wouldnt that be the wealthy, middle class, low class, and most homeless people? Everyone buys Arbys! The point is, Arbys isnt even expensive.

What can you eat for dinner that would cost less at the grocery store?? Dinner for one is going to run you $5 for a "nothing special" meal. Let alone the cost to wash the dishes, clean them, drive there etc........ OP cant even feed himself for 24 hours if this is the case! Thats 3 meals a day!

You will find more often than not that people who complain about not having money waste it on unnecessary things. I would bet lunch that if you went into the OP's house you'd find super high speed Internet access, lots of video games that are $60 each with a LIVE subscription, cable TV, A/C set too low, more car insurance than necessary, lots of items that should be sold as they are losing value, and a car that guzzles more gas than its worth, some combination of this. And probably a cigarette smoker or pot smoker or alcohol consumer too! (Hows that for $100-$400 a month?!). And of course we'll hear back with a reply and this being the quote that s/he does none of it and its not his/her fault and all that stuff because they dont want to blame themselves or live up to it. I fully anticipate that reply.

So while the OP (or others) may not like my suggestion, if you cant afford to go out for $10, then you really need to re prioritize your finances! Life choices put people in the position they are in -- every time -- all the time. Short of a natural disaster or getting fired from a place unexpectedly that you've worked at for decades or medical emergencies!

My "move to Nigeria" comment was intended as a tongue in cheek way to say the cost of living is lower elsewhere and if you just cant make it here, then find yourself a better job elsewhere and move there. What about the oil work in the midwest where you get $150k per year for doing not so hard work? Oh, they dont want to live THERE though! Aaaaaaaaaah. The "I want it all just give it to me" attitude.

I'm not rich. I'm not poor. I'm just a guy with a wife and a five kids who can happily pay his bills because of GOOD life choices.
Well said. I'm with you.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 AM

288 posts, read 452,814 times
Quote:
If you want a meal under $10 you can barely even go to Arbys. My large roast beef n cheddar combo comes to $9.60.

You might try Nigeria instead.
Wrong!
A ton of people have talked about Sweet Tomatoes restaurant recently...you can score a 8 dollar buffet meal (if you sign up for their email coupons) and a lot of people in this forum responded positively, how much they like it....does that make them all cheapskates?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
How can it be called a wealth attitude?
If you look at my post, the only thing I copied was the Nigeria comment, not the part about the cost of an Arby's burger.

Your tongue in check comment sounds like Marie Antoinette's "let them eat cake".

I agree with 99% of you post. One of the things I absolutely love about the Sarasota forum is the underlying attitude of many posters than hard work & good choices are the way to live, whiners have usually made their own situation in some way, and no one should expect free lunch. Most of your response post reflects these attitudes that I respect.

Maybe tongue in cheek doesn't always translate well on the internet, but I thought the Nigeria comment really sounded snarky. I view you as a good hearted soul and a forum friend and just couldn't believe you were channelling Marie Antoinette.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Sweet Tomatoes is icky for me. I'm not a big salad buff.

Sure, I've made some bad choices in life too. Anyone who says they've never made a bad decision in their life is probably under the age of 3 months old. Then again they do poop their pants!

I should have picked a different country than Nigeria. Just insert any third world area and that'll suffice. Or, Detroit or something.. :-)

I had to google Marie Antoinette to see who she was. Guillotine, ouch!

PS -- Wife & I had lunch at Five Guys Burger & Fries today. $17.64 for two burgers, one drink, one french fry cup. Yummy, but wont be back! $$$$

Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 PM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
I'm over 40, so I'm no expert on what young people do, but my kids & all their friends are in their 20's, & they seem to enjoy the beaches & parks, they meet people there, they go to clubs, such as Sky, I believe it's free to get in, & there are others, can't remember what they're called.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I think a lot of places that one wouldn't think would be that expensive actually are, or at least they are for what you get. In other words, no bang for the buck.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 PM

122 posts, read 323,747 times
Steak-N-Shake has triple steakburger combos for $4.00

just sayin'

Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiamiTrailBlues View Post
Steak-N-Shake has triple steakburger combos for $4.00

just sayin'
As long as you dont want fries or a drink! (and dont mind waiting 15 minutes in their drivethrus, I always hated that )

So today for lunch I ate @ Freddy's Burgers on SR-70 by I-75 in front of Lowes. D E L I C I O U S! $8 for a full combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area