Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 AM

894 posts, read 4,352,919 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I could care less if its E/W/N/S Bradenton. I am patiently waiting for it to open, but my concern is, has anyone noticed that there this no way to get back on 70 when exiting the store?

Old 04-26-2016, 07:51 AM

73 posts, read 63,875 times
The "triad" of grocery store options at the intersection of Lockwood Ridge roads and sr70 should bode well for some healthy competition between AlDi, Walmart Neighborhood Market, and Publix.

Of course Publix doesn't target a Walmart customer, but the lower prices and proprietary brands of AlDi might give Publix in THAT location a real headache. The ALdi store however is relatively small.....most of their stores aren't HUGE...that's not their business model at all.

Eventually, Aldi would like to grow to 2,000 stores in the U.S. — less than half of Wal-Mart's U.S. store count.

As Aldi expands, other grocers will have to respond. Even Publix, which doesn't compete on price, is likely to ramp up promotions or bundle deals like its buy one, get one sales. Aldi is also making improvements to its shopping experience — where Publix shines — making it a multifaceted threat.

The nearby WaWa adds another shopping "dimension"...of course unrelated to general grocery marketing, but will likely attract the "get milk and dash customer" while getting petrol.

One bad thing that is apparent even at this writing is that ingress and egress to ALDi will be problematic....by there again, access to Publix on the south side of sr70 isn't exactly ideal either. Vehicle access to Walmart Neighborhood market is quite good, notwithstand egress during afternoon rush hour. THAT will be a nightmare exiting to the weat accessing Lockwood southbound AND northbound. This is an area of accidents waiting to happen.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
After he is finished with Manatee County; there are 65 other counties in Florida he can get worked up about. Duval County is OK, its all incorporated, Jacksonville and Duval County have a consolidated government.. Perhaps he should move to Jacksonville for his sanity!!

Jacksonville ?? nope, too many rednecks, and I don't want to live around an area that might as well be "south Georgia".....nop, that's why I live in CA and FL thankyouverymuch

Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,954,536 times
We have Aldi stores in our area of TX
Some people shop there for just few things...some people do almost all shopping there
I have been to my local 3 times now and just find it incredibly frustrating...

Smaller sq footage inside/overall, difficult to move cart when there is any kind of traffic inside--aisles are more narrow...not as much selection and lot of store brands which is not to say "bad" but you have to buy/use to know if you really like it... Last time I went the Gatorade was only 1 size of bottle (larger) and all flavors dumped in box...you had to rummage through to see if flavor u wanted was there and price not that much cheaper than buying on sale at another store... Fresh fruit had only 1 type of oranges for example-5 lb bag and no navels...
Checking out is frustrating because you have to take cart w/stuff u bought over to shelf and add to bags you bought...people just clump at area at end of checkout often blocking your way further down...

I don't have patience for that but friend of mine's granddaughter--married w/2 yr old--shopped at an Aldi recently and was super happy about her lower costs...maybe her store was larger/better selection...cause it is not one I went to...

There are enough people in SRQ area who have budget issues...they likely will be glad to have it...but Aldi is not for everyone...

Old 04-26-2016, 11:56 AM

4,628 posts, read 7,561,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShekleKing View Post
The "triad" of grocery store options at the intersection of Lockwood Ridge roads and sr70 should bode well for some healthy competition between AlDi, Walmart Neighborhood Market, and Publix.

Of course Publix doesn't target a Walmart customer, but the lower prices and proprietary brands of AlDi might give Publix in THAT location a real headache. The ALdi store however is relatively small.....most of their stores aren't HUGE...that's not their business model at all.

Eventually, Aldi would like to grow to 2,000 stores in the U.S. — less than half of Wal-Mart's U.S. store count.

As Aldi expands, other grocers will have to respond. Even Publix, which doesn't compete on price, is likely to ramp up promotions or bundle deals like its buy one, get one sales. Aldi is also making improvements to its shopping experience — where Publix shines — making it a multifaceted threat.

The nearby WaWa adds another shopping "dimension"...of course unrelated to general grocery marketing, but will likely attract the "get milk and dash customer" while getting petrol.

One bad thing that is apparent even at this writing is that ingress and egress to ALDi will be problematic....by there again, access to Publix on the south side of sr70 isn't exactly ideal either. Vehicle access to Walmart Neighborhood market is quite good, notwithstand egress during afternoon rush hour. THAT will be a nightmare exiting to the weat accessing Lockwood southbound AND northbound. This is an area of accidents waiting to happen.

The west exit of the Benderson shopping center where the Publix is located can be a traffic nightmare at certain hours of the day because the driveway for the post office is immediately across the street there, plus traffic backs up to both driveways from the traffic light at 53rd (SR-70). Wonder what genius was involved in the planning of that configuration?

Old 04-26-2016, 05:54 PM

You don't have to have "budget issues" to be a smart shopper.There is no "status" in paying too much.

Potential customers shouldn't think that ALdi is going to be a grande dame "supermarket" ! it's simply not that. ALDi is owned
by the same organization as TRADER JOE's and TJ's certainly is not for everyone or every buyer either. Publix is a very good supermarket (except for the one at Lockwood Commons...they stink).

Purdue chicken or Tyson chicken is the same whereever you buy it...most chicken is chicken....A sweet onion is a sweet onion in most cases. Pasta is pasta. All milk is locally sourced and the same. Cereal is cereal, sugar is sugar.

Heck, my favorite store for absolute cheap basics is Dollar Tree...soaps, bleach, paper towels, and I have even purchssed some of their frozen veggies/steak fries etc.....cheap and very very good quality....as good as any Publix for half the price.

I'm positive there will be problems with ALdi to some extent....but there are problems even with Walmart selling mostly sourced fresh veggies from Latin America and lousy pre-packaged and gassed low SELECT GRADE MEAT in their cases ! yes that's right, most all of their meats are not USDA Choice #1, and their crap labeled Choice is the lowest grade of
"choice" on the meat grading scale and most people don't know that either...you're getting screwed...all Choice is not the same, neither is "Prime".

Back to the traffic and planning...yep, pretty bad it will be....how about Bank of America having a driveway 6 feet from
the major street ! now that's stupid too ! too bad you can't enter the center from the rear westside of the plaza...and exit there...someone screwed up....probably some goofball planner at "The City of BRADENTON", eh ? LOL LOL

Old 05-05-2016, 03:03 PM

24 posts, read 27,483 times
Sunshine Rules, is all traffic planning in Bradenton non-existent or done by engineers on crack? Or "engineeers" who graduated from some fly-by-night online school that has been shut down already?

I'm currently on the eastern edge of Bradenton and the kind of configuration you describe near the P.O. on SR 70 is by no means the first horrible traffic design I've seen. I have honestly never seen anything stupider in my life than the design of the large strip mall on SR 70 between Creekwood Blvd and I-75. Only two entry/exit points, and only one of those allows for drivers who need to go east on SR 70. The configuration is insane. During the season traffic is backed up beyond belief into the mall parking lot.

This is the worst example of traffic "planning" or "design" that I've seen, but by no means the first or the last. Don't get me started on the entry/exit to where I'm currently living. *facepalm*

To get back on topic...I'm eagerly awaiting the new Aldi opening. I won't buy meat there because I can't stand those saline injections, but having an alternative to Publix and Wally World produce would be nice.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modjewels View Post
Sunshine Rules, is all traffic planning in Bradenton non-existent or done by engineers on crack? Or "engineeers" who graduated from some fly-by-night online school that has been shut down already?

I'm currently on the eastern edge of Bradenton and the kind of configuration you describe near the P.O. on SR 70 is by no means the first horrible traffic design I've seen. I have honestly never seen anything stupider in my life than the design of the large strip mall on SR 70 between Creekwood Blvd and I-75. Only two entry/exit points, and only one of those allows for drivers who need to go east on SR 70. The configuration is insane. During the season traffic is backed up beyond belief into the mall parking lot.

This is the worst example of traffic "planning" or "design" that I've seen, but by no means the first or the last. Don't get me started on the entry/exit to where I'm currently living. *facepalm*

To get back on topic...I'm eagerly awaiting the new Aldi opening. I won't buy meat there because I can't stand those saline injections, but having an alternative to Publix and Wally World produce would be nice.

As a matter of truth and FACT, Bradenton had absolutely NOTHING to do with this traffic planning. You can't lay that at the feet of Bradenton administrators or professionals. IT's NOT in BRADENTON, pal. It's no where near Bradenton.
ALDI will probably surprise newer shoppers I think because they don't understand their business model. It's not a traditional "supermarket" in scope, size, or strategy. I expect nay-sayers to start popping off at the mouth about "what they don't have"...lol

Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 PM

4,628 posts, read 7,561,420 times
For all of you Aldi fans in the area, I just received a card in the mail, the new Aldi store opens Wednesday, May 11th, at 4525 53rd Ave E, Bradenton.

They are offering a sneak peek of the new store on Tuesday, May 10th, between 10 am and 6 pm.

The promo does state the store accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover cards, which is nice as not everyone likes to pay by cash or debit cards.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:38 PM

Don't forget the coupon 5 dollars off for spending 30....through May 22....sample products on May 11, 12-5p, get a free eco-bag on May 11.......enter to win free produce for a year,

Sneak pre on Tuesday at 10a

Store is located at sr70 and Lockwood Ridge Road intersection....it's NOT in Bradenton....but in unicorporated S Manatee County FL....use your MAP...easy to find ! it's NOT in Bradenton for the newcomers, it's way outside the limits of Bradenton no matter what your mailer designates as a US Postal address...please don't get confused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area