Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:55 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times

Advertisements

I just spent some quality time studying many of the almost 100 pdf files of 2015 preliminary flood maps for Sarasota county. It appears to me that they expanded the flood zones around the various watershed areas of creeks, added to watersheds of coastal bay areas and in North Port they appear to have added a good portion of the drainage canals into flood zones.

I noticed a portion of Paver Park is now in a designated flood zone, additional streets in Desoto Lakes & Kensington Park, the western portion of The Meadows, additional streets in South Gate near the Phillippi Creek basin, some additional streets within the city of Sarasota near Arlington - Shade, Phillippi Creek basin areas, west of US41 by the airport, a few streets in the Nokomis area. Anyone looking at west or south Venice should definitely check out the new maps. Also those looking at North Port, because of the drainage canals as well as watershed basins that have been added.

The maps are not easy to read, you can get an idea of flood zone areas but for individual addresses you would have to seek out additional information.

I am going to say something that will not make me popular with some real estate agents. I am sure there are agents in our area that will attempt to downplay the impact of the changes to the flood maps to their clients. DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. Depending on where you are looking for a home in our area, there is a chance that the flood zone designation is changing, so do your homework, seek out the information on the particular addresses you are interested in. Even if you are planning to pay cash and therefore not obligated to carry flood insurance, being in a flood zone can impact the resale value of a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 05:52 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
I am sure there are agents in our area that will attempt to downplay the impact of the changes to the flood maps to their clients.
I have to disagree on this point. I don't think any competent agent would downplay, minimize, or hide the fact that a property is in a flood zone and I doubt any would knowingly do so with a property that is newly designated. I think the problem will come if the flood zone data available thru the MLS is not updated immediately once the new maps are adopted. If that happens, I can foresee all sorts of issues and that is why I brought up the questions regarding disclosure and liability for both the agents and the sellers. Ultimately, though, the responsibility is probably the buyer's but I doubt anyone of them will see it that way. It's probably a very good idea to use the insurance addendum in every transaction....just in case.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Being distrustful of many government actions, I'm wondering how many of the added properties have been added only for the purpose of getting more revenue in the FEMA bank account. I'll bet many of the properties would not see any kind of flooding conditions in a 1000 years.
It's like having a house 8 miles from the Philippi Creek but being required to connect to a sewer line so you don't pollute the creek.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:24 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I have to disagree on this point. I don't think any competent agent would downplay, minimize, or hide the fact that a property is in a flood zone and I doubt any would knowingly do so with a property that is newly designated.
Unfortunately I have already seen posts on other sites by agents doing just that, attempting to downplay questions about flood insurance in general and as it pertains to specific properties. But I would agree, I would not call those agents competent....

Old 01-18-2015, 05:35 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Being distrustful of many government actions, I'm wondering how many of the added properties have been added only for the purpose of getting more revenue in the FEMA bank account. I'll bet many of the properties would not see any kind of flooding conditions in a 1000 years.
It's like having a house 8 miles from the Philippi Creek but being required to connect to a sewer line so you don't pollute the creek.
To be honest, this was my first thought, too. They need the money and when they tried to revert back to an actuarially sound rate schedule to get there, revolt was in the air. Personally, I don't think the government should be in the insurance business at all but that conversation will take us down the rabbit hole.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:15 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
I am requiring all of my agents to have clients sign a flood disclosure that puts them on notice to check out the new flood changes. I could foresee a huge liability here. Someone buys a home and can only afford X amount. Their home gets rezoned into a flood area and their payment goes up. This has been all over the news. The agent knew or reasonably should have known of potential flood changes. I'd rather over disclose and not have my clients have issues. That's my stance. I'm kind of surprised to know that many of the big agencies aren't taking the same stance. The Sarasota Board of Realtors said that they have had no calls about this and they have no stance on it.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:35 AM

81 posts, read 134,592 times
We recently bought a lot in Rotanda meadows, anticipating 2 years till we build. Does this mean we will be charged the $ 250.00 surcharge for non-primary residences since we live in MD?????

Old 01-19-2015, 01:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orhs66 View Post
We recently bought a lot in Rotanda meadows, anticipating 2 years till we build. Does this mean we will be charged the $ 250.00 surcharge for non-primary residences since we live in MD?????
You are only charged this if you have flood insurance for a home that isn't your primary home.

First off, you need to find out of your lot is in flood zone per the revised map. If yes, what is the new flood zone and does it require flood insurance if you have a mortgage? If in a flood zone A, AE, V, or VE, then you need to find out the FEMA required BFE. THis is the minimum elevation of the lowest living area of the home. Then your new home's elevation must be at or above this BFE, else your permit won't be approved(regardless if you pay cach or get a loan). You might be required to raise the elevation of your home if the lot is lower than the required BFE.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:44 PM

81 posts, read 134,592 times
thanks Sware2cod, I believe the lot is AE and elevation is 10 feet. Mr. Sunshine who is a great asset to this forum, informed me he thinks I will need a stem wall of several layers. Have not had a elevation survey yet, but know I will need one.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
New FEMA flood maps causing confusion | HeraldTribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area