Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:53 AM

22 posts, read 47,327 times

Advertisements

we are retiring in a few years, and the Englewood area is top on our list. We were planning on buying a pre-existing home, but I saw some lots for sale in Rotunda. They are fairly inexpensive, 20k. We would like to build a small 1600 square ft. Home. What is avg. price per square foot? How difficult is the building process? Reputable builders, etc. also, what can you tell me about Rotunda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 06:34 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,554,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
we are retiring in a few years, and the Englewood area is top on our list. We were planning on buying a pre-existing home, but I saw some lots for sale in Rotunda. They are fairly inexpensive, 20k. We would like to build a small 1600 square ft. Home. What is avg. price per square foot? How difficult is the building process? Reputable builders, etc. also, what can you tell me about Rotunda?
Check out rotondawest.org and be SURE to read the Deed Restrictions. I thought they weren't bad but some may. 1600 sq ft is the minimum allowable home size excluding the garage and lanai areas. I think the minimum garage has to be 2 cars and 405 square feet (or there abouts). If you want a lot on a canal, I believe they start at around 25k and go up from there. I'm not sure about lots not on the canal system. As for a reputable builder, there's one who is on the boards that I'm somewhat familiar with. I'd tell you his name but he's promising to make all kinds of noise and dust when building a new house across the street from our place this Fall. Just kidding, not sure if I'm allowed to "promote" on the site.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:37 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Check out rotondawest.org and be SURE to read the Deed Restrictions. I thought they weren't bad but some may. 1600 sq ft is the minimum allowable home size excluding the garage and lanai areas. I think the minimum garage has to be 2 cars and 405 square feet (or there abouts). If you want a lot on a canal, I believe they start at around 25k and go up from there. I'm not sure about lots not on the canal system. As for a reputable builder, there's one who is on the boards that I'm somewhat familiar with. I'd tell you his name but he's promising to make all kinds of noise and dust when building a new house across the street from our place this Fall. Just kidding, not sure if I'm allowed to "promote" on the site.
Just not yourself.

Mr&MrsSunshine builds in that area.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Just not yourself.

Mr&Mrs Sunshine builds in that area.
Thanks Cardiff - just trying to avoid another 'unplanned vacation' from the site.

Tell Mr&Mrs Sunshine that I sent you, maybe he'll relax his orders to his crew. (Just kidding btw)

Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Thanks Cardiff - just trying to avoid another 'unplanned vacation' from the site.

Tell Mr&Mrs Sunshine that I sent you, maybe he'll relax his orders to his crew. (Just kidding btw)
So you have been bad? You must have been really bad cause this forum is really tolerant.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:52 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
Noise, dust and a few bananas !!!

03 is pretty spot on. Minimum under air 1600, garage is 450.

NOW here's the thing about Rotonda lots, they have gone up a fair bit this year, look at all the new homes going up and its obvious.

the average price for a good land lot is around $20-25k, a golf course or canal add $5k, Boundary Blvd on water $40 up
but don't be mislead into thinking the lower price is the cheapest.

Add in 3 factors.

Power
Elevation
Clearing

If its full of trees (as the cheaper ones often are) add $4-5000
if it is in a flood zone or has a low elevation and needs a stem wall....add From $5k up........depending
Power...MOST streets now have power , a few don't. If you cant see a pole it can cost a LOT

so all of a sudden that $20k lot can cost you $30+

You need a good realtor who can help you and a friendly builder (ahem) who will look at lots and tell you the good or bad.

Build costs will depend on you, what you do/don't want..........................

ask away

Old 06-03-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
So you have been bad? You must have been really bad cause this forum is really tolerant.
I'm not allowed to discuss it openly (that's how I got into trouble on the Tennessee forum in the first place. ) Let's just say, don't challenge the 'management'....

Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
There are 738 lots currently for sale in Rotonda. I agree with Mr Sunshine on his statement that most of the better lots start at 20K+. Once in a while you can snag a bank owned one cheaper but you really have to be ready to purchase it because there are flippers who grab up the cheap lots and relist them.

I also will throw in a recommendation for Mr Sunshine/Vantage Homes. I've done business with him on many occasions and all of my customers have been pleased.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:01 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
x3 for Vantage! Great folks to work with!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Noise, dust and a few bananas !!!
kewl! We like bananas! Maybe a pineapple or two as well please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area