Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 02:58 AM

95 posts, read 355,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
bradenton has pretty beaches. try to stay in west bradenton. the higher the road number, the better (if i remember correctly).
Yeah i would have to agree with you on that one.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 AM

95 posts, read 355,929 times
Default Bradenton is the safest place ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
Stay away from Bradenton.... I repeat...Stay AWAY from Bradenton. Sorry to all of you who live in Bradenton, but my 3 month stay proved to be nothing short of a disaster! I has car parts stolen right off my car, I was harassed by homeless ppl daily and we had UPS packages stolen right from our front door. Not to mention the fact that most of the retail areas are horrendous, although they are adding some nice retail at the corner of 14th and Cortez. I'm sure there are very nice parts of Bradenton, but IMO Sarasota is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. I moved here from Raleigh, NC about 2 years ago, and I feel the Lakewood Ranch/University Parkway area of Sarasota is probably one of the best areas of Sarasota-Bradenton. Most everything is new, and they are developing like crazy right now. Prices are negotiable as far as rents go and there are plenty of affordable apartments and condos in the area for 2 income households. I currently live in a 1700sf BRAND NEW condo with water, trash and basic cable included for 1150/month. Prior to that, we rented a 1900sf condo with cable and trash included for 1100/month. If your not afraid to negotiate, name your price and you are likely to get it if it's reasonable. Jobs in the area, I feel, are a bit scarce. At least jobs that pay more than 7/hr. I still can't get over the fact that there is no tax on groceries or your car! In NC they taxed damn near EVERYTHING the could get their grubby paws on! There are plenty of good things about the Sarasota-Bradenton area, and in my opinion, they far outweigh the negatives. As for crimes and gang activity, all I can say is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! Of course, as with any other city, there will be some random craziness in the "safe" areas, but for the most part, it is very easy to figure out what areas to stay away from. I personally have never had a run in with gangs, but I wouldn't be surprised that such activity exists in certain areas.
Bradenton is so safe at least thats what i think.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrer1 View Post
Bradenton is so safe at least thats what i think.
What people don't understand about Bradenton is what someone else has already mentioned.

For the size of the town/county, Bradenton has an extraordinary amount of crime....that's all.

Just had a great robbery Monday from the Oasis Lounge on Manatee Ave./west Bradenton....two robbers hit up the night cleaner and took off with $6K from a safe & $300 out of the drawer...best way to find out who the thieves were is through the drug deal that went down after the robbery...you know they didn't steal the cash to pay off a credit card....

Old 07-10-2008, 05:55 AM

52 posts, read 138,680 times
Default chill, people

I can't believe how excited everyone gets about Bradenton on this forum. It is a disservice to people who don't know the town and are just trying to get factual information to develop a picture in their mind. So many stories out of context and the exaggerations are childish.

Bradenton is not much different than any similarly sized city in Florida. The downtown area is not as nicely developed as it should be (good bones, waterfront). The "crime box" is south and slightly east/west of a line along 14th Street West (which runs north/south, aka US 41). I don't have the exact dimensions but this is roughly from the Braden River on the east side to 34th Street West on the west side. Yes, it was in the paper last year. But even within that large area there are several respectable neighborhoods.

The area north of Manatee Avenue (runs east/west) from downtown all the way west is fine. That's "Northwest". All kinds of housing stock, from historic to new.

To the east, the real estate boom led to suburban development around the I-75 corridor. Little crime out that way, lots of foreclosures if you're looking for a bargain. Good schools. "Newer" if that's what you like. You do not even have to come into downtown, ever.

To the west, Bradenton has developed gradually (beginning in the 1920s) and there is not much crime. Someone said areas south of Cortez are bad. Yet El Con and Glenn Lakes are both south of Cortez, great neighborhoods.

So for you folks who are considering Bradenton, don't get too excited about what you are reading. Bradenton is not perfect by any means but it has more going for it than some say. I have lived here for several years (have known the area well for 35 years). It is a difficult place for people with no financial cushion. As are most places these days.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Exclamation Please think twice before "chilling"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msms View Post
I can't believe how excited everyone gets about
Quote:
Originally Posted by msms View Post
Bradenton on this forum. It is a disservice to people who don't know the town and are just trying to get factual information to develop a picture in their mind. So many stories out of context and the exaggerations are childish.

Bradenton is not much different than any similarly sized city in Florida. The downtown area is not as nicely developed as it should be (good bones, waterfront). The "crime box" is south and slightly east/west of a line along 14th Street West (which runs north/south, aka US 41). I don't have the exact dimensions but this is roughly from the BradenRiver on the east side to 34th Street West on the west side. Yes, it was in the paper last year. But even within that large area there are several respectable neighborhoods.

The area north of Manatee Avenue (runs east/west) from downtown all the way west is fine. That's "Northwest". All kinds of housing stock, from historic to new.

To the east, the real estate boom led to suburban development around the I-75 corridor. Little crime out that way, lots of foreclosures if you're looking for a bargain. Good schools. "Newer" if that's what you like. You do not even have to come into downtown, ever.

To the west, Bradenton has developed gradually (beginning in the 1920s) and there is not much crime. Someone said areas south of Cortez are bad. Yet El Con and GlennLakes are both south of Cortez, great neighborhoods.

So for you folks who are considering Bradenton, don't get too excited about what you are reading. Bradenton is not perfect by any means but it has more going for it than some say. I have lived here for several years (have known the area well for 35 years). It is a difficult place for people with no financial cushion. As are most places these days.
...In Your Opinion. You forgot to write that. Just because you say it doesn't imply that it's exactly as you say.

You’re telling us to "chill", but we shouldn't "chill" because Bradenton isn't all you say. Take a look at this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinflorida View Post
Posted on
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinflorida View Post
Sun, Jul. 06, 2008
Police Blotter

"Bradenton
Ninth Avenue East, 1800 block. Theft. July 1.
Ninth Street West, 1100 block. Traffic offense. June 29.
10th Avenue Drive West, 300 block. Burglary. June 30.
11th Street West, 600 block. Burglary. June 30.
13th Avenue East, 1800 block. Criminal mischief. June 30.
14th Street West, 2200 block. Larceny. July 1.
14th Street West, 2500 block. Larceny. June 30.
21st Avenue West, 1100 block. Narcotics-related. July 1.
21st Avenue West, 1100 block. Narcotics-related. July 1.
25th Street West, 900 block. Larceny. July 1.
26th Street West, 2900 block. Criminal mischief. July 1.
51st Street West, 4800 block. Criminal mischief. June 30.
59th Street West, 2900 block. Burglary. June 30.
Castleton Drive, 3000 block. Larceny. June 30.
Heritage Lane, 6100 block. Harassment. June 30.
Manatee Avenue East, 1800 block. Burglary. July 1.
Manatee Avenue East, 2700 block. Narcotics-related. July 1.
Manatee Avenue West, 2900 block. Criminal mischief. June 30.
MLK Avenue East, 1100 block. Narcotics-related. July 1.
MLK Avenue West, 700 block. Shooting. June 30.
River Preserve Court, 2600 block. Burglary. June 30.
Riverside Drive East, 300 block. Traffic offense. June 30.
State Road 64 East, 4600 block. Assault. June 30.
.......shortened for length & space! For full post, please click the ">" by the posters name.......

© 2008 Bradenton.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. Bradenton.com | Homepage
^ This is not "chill" material. This is crazy, and this is everywhere in Bradenton. Everybody has their opinion, but the facts (lostinflorida's post) shows that Bradenton has serious work to do, however I believe that it is possible that Bradenton has potential. If the right work is done, then Bradenton might return to the good city it once was. However, if our police and sheriff officers don't start taking action soon, maybe roam the streets more often to find the drug dealers, the graffiti makers, the robbers, the strippers walking 14th Street, etc.- than at that point, we can get work done. Until that happens, I don't see where the list above is going to change, unfortunately.

Example, Orlando Valenzuela. He's the 16-year-old connected with the death of Stacy Williams III, the 9-year-old Bradenton boy was shot to death from the cross fire of gang-related violence. The poor boy was doing nothing wrong, and he was shot, by whom... gang people. BUT, has Manatee County/Bradenton really done anything about it? NO! Sure, they built a park in the boys’ name, that won't stop gangs. Even the grandmother’s house was targeted by gangs AFTER the death. And even after the death, things still go on, and gangs still roam, but I don't see anything being done. They need to start patrolling the streets to catch the criminals to put them away so who streets will be safer, and we won't be afraid to be out late, we won't be afraid to walk around, but it won't happen unless the police, the people who are paid to protect the people, start doing their job. Then, there won't be anymore deaths of little 9-year-old boys or girls. Nobody else will lose there lives and they to will be able to enjoy the things that you do, and that I do, and that we all do. Just think about that, little Stacy Williams will never be able enjoy the things that you do, and that I do, and that we all do all because of the gangs that killed him. This is what we need to eliminate from our streets, to make it safer for the people that live in Bradenton.

This is NOT an "exaggeration", nor is it "out of context", msms, this is real. Think about this, please.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Bradenton police and government officials are very lackadaisical. This town has so much potential but it is going to heck in a handbasket. On the surface, it is so pretty, with the waterfront downtown and all the old banyan trees around, not to mention the nice beaches. But the ungodly crime! A couple years ago we were considering relocating to Bradenton (having once lived in Sarasota) but after reading crime stats, and then the shootings on Coquina on Easter we said WTH?!!! Also, the downtown is 3/4 dead with empty storefronts and all sorts of questionable looking types walking around - we were very uncomfortable. So we chose Lakeland, and now are buying a second home back in Sarasota.

Bradenton has tons of work to do, but right now it seems to be going down, not up, no one in charge seems to care.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,709 times
I moved here from the Capital (Tallahassee) to be closer to family and geta fresh start. Don't get me wrong, every place has its shortcomings but there happens to be a lot of crime in Bradenton. I live in a fairly decent area with nice homes, apts., and schools, but guess what? A woman was shot multiple times and killed during the day in a shopping plaza. So, it depends on your view. We have less crime than Miami (violent) but more than Vail, CO. The beaches are beautiful but some have curfews because of gang related crimes. Gang crime is bad here and on the rise. The person who posted abouve about the little boy Stacy and the crime blotter, that is real. We have a lot of people who are seasonal workers and addicts. They need help. The kids aren't getting what they need from parents in terms of stability and discipline. Lots of parents are gang-bangers too. Come visit and see for yourself. Make sure you have a permit and gun.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profile4lyfe View Post
I moved here from the Capital (Tallahassee) to be closer to family and geta fresh start. Don't get me wrong, every place has its shortcomings but there happens to be a lot of crime in Bradenton. I live in a fairly decent area with nice homes, apts., and schools, but guess what? A woman was shot multiple times and killed during the day in a shopping plaza. So, it depends on your view. We have less crime than Miami (violent) but more than Vail, CO. The beaches are beautiful but some have curfews because of gang related crimes. Gang crime is bad here and on the rise. The person who posted abouve about the little boy Stacy and the crime blotter, that is real. We have a lot of people who are seasonal workers and addicts. They need help. The kids aren't getting what they need from parents in terms of stability and discipline. Lots of parents are gang-bangers too. Come visit and see for yourself. Make sure you have a permit and gun.
Your 100% correct. It was msms that said that our stories were "out of context and the exaggerations are childish." The shooting of Stacy Williams or Pamela LaRose, the women shot outside of Peach's Restaurant, that is real. That is not out of context, nor are we exaggerating. That is real, and the town needs real help.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
For a "small" town of 53,000 (to me, small is less than FIVE thousand, and that's a small CITY, not a TOWN)...Bradenton really doesn't seem to have a lot of crime. I've lived here two years, and I've never seen a crime committed here.

In fact, in the past TWENTY years, I've only experienced two crimes...(I don't consider "assault" a crime, when it happens IN or NEAR a bar.) Two different towns, much smaller than Bradenton. So, using those parameters, small towns have more crime than cities. I know, preposterous.

It still remains that I've only been victimized twice. Two thefts...well, one theft, one attempted theft. In the theft, it was someone I KNEW and LET INTO my home. Guy walks out with my wallet...I happen to know because they busted him for having improper ID (mine) trying to buy alcohol in a bar where they knew me.

The other time, a guy tried to break in my home and steal my TV...but since I was home at the time, I put him in a headlock, and held onto him until my wife got home. Then I walked him to the door and told him to STAY out. He never came back.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Exclamation 53,000 people??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
For a "small" town of 53,000 (to me, small is less than FIVE thousand, and that's a small CITY, not a TOWN)...Bradenton really doesn't seem to have a lot of crime. I've lived here two years, and I've never seen a crime committed here.

In fact, in the past TWENTY years, I've only experienced two crimes...(I don't consider "assault" a crime, when it happens IN or NEAR a bar.) Two different towns, much smaller than Bradenton. So, using those parameters, small towns have more crime than cities. I know, preposterous.

It still remains that I've only been victimized twice. Two thefts...well, one theft, one attempted theft. In the theft, it was someone I KNEW and LET INTO my home. Guy walks out with my wallet...I happen to know because they busted him for having improper ID (mine) trying to buy alcohol in a bar where they knew me.

The other time, a guy tried to break in my home and steal my TV...but since I was home at the time, I put him in a headlock, and held onto him until my wife got home. Then I walked him to the door and told him to STAY out. He never came back.
Sorry, I can't believe that Bradenton only has 53,000 people. If I believe that, then I believe that Orlando only was 7,000 people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area