Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:07 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times

Advertisements

duffer47 - I guess the schools came up because I pay a lot of property taxes - just as much in other "non-snowbird/tourist" states - we do not need their tax revenue just like any other place in the country does not need snowbirds -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 05:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
duffer47 - I guess the schools came up because I pay a lot of property taxes - just as much in other "non-snowbird/tourist" states - we do not need their tax revenue just like any other place in the country does not need snowbirds -
Just FYI, most all places with decent schools and services need very high property taxes, sales taxes and state income taxes.

The amount spent by tourists alone (largest in the USA, maybe the world) is equal to the State Budget!

State spending per capita (you and fellow floridians) is the lowest in the country....the translation being that Florida residents aren't spending a lot of money (and therefore not paying a lot of sales and other taxes)....

It's not going to happen, but my guess is that 2 to 3X the property taxes would be needed if not for tourism or snowbirds. Probably closer to 2X for starters...3X if Florida wanted to become world class in education and stuff like that.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:45 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
People are fleeing States with very high taxes, and they are migrating to places with very low taxes. Many snowbirds stay in Florida 6 months and 1 day so they can be Florida residents. Obviously, many people, including snowbirds, prefer lower taxes. So much so, they are willing to uproot and move. Florida's economy would sink w/o good and bad snowbirds...we need them all.

Florida has an older population with less school aged children per adult than most other States, so Florida doesn't require as much property tax revenues per household as other States since there are fewer kids to educate.

Besides, more taxes doesn't always = better schools. California has very high taxes, yet bad schools.

More money doesn't always equal better education because public education is not a free marketplace. Public educators do not have to compete as much as the private sector does for raises, promotions, or to keep their jobs. It's largely decided by tenure, advanced degrees, and Union contracts. Bad teachers keep their jobs and keep teaching (poorly). Unions guarranty it.

This hurts lower income families the most since they are less able to move, or send their kids to private schools. Very sad.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:40 AM

137 posts, read 194,269 times
Nancy, the people who have jobs in the tourist industry and support their families would strongly disagree with you. Many Floridians depend on the snowbirds to insure their own standard of living. Also if you think taxes are high in Florida then you should live in other states where property taxes are double and there are state income taxes as well. Energy costs are also much higher in many other states. No one likes to pay taxes but comparatively speaking Florida has it better than many other states.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
We already pay a lot of taxes. We do not need the snowbirds - the schools suck - thats why I have my children in private and the one good school down here that is decent. The schools are so bad that many people homeschool - my family's job has absolutely nothing to do with snowbird money - they are useless to us -

I really do not understand why they are coming back - the beaches are a disaster and too disgusting to even walk on the beach - they just found out the blue green algae is airborne and making many people sick - if I were them I would stay up north.
I just bet you would like that. I'm enjoying the fact that we might actually be able to get a seat at a restaurant and not as much traffic. True, Nokomis does suck.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:11 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you...we walked Siesta Key Beach today for an hour, and other than tea colored water, it was fine. There were quite a few people there. The snowbirds will be back in force. Visit your favorite restaurants now before its too late. We have until the Monday after Thanksgiving, then it will be waitsville again.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:33 AM

220 posts, read 270,043 times
I find it humorous that people actually still believe in the "six months and 1 day residency rule". If you read on the Sarasota County Website it explains it clearly.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarboy View Post
I find it humorous that people actually still believe in the "six months and 1 day residency rule". If you read on the Sarasota County Website it explains it clearly.
Sarasota County has nothing to do with how another State defines residency when it comes to paying State income taxes.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:53 PM

282 posts, read 248,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you...we walked Siesta Key Beach today for an hour, and other than tea colored water, it was fine. There were quite a few people there. The snowbirds will be back in force. Visit your favorite restaurants now before its too late. We have until the Monday after Thanksgiving, then it will be waitsville again.
"tea colored water"... Not what I'd be looking for in a beach destination.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Get a life people Red tide will be here and gone in time. Just one of the problems of living in paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area