Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 02:43 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I mostly buy packaged stuff at Aldi's...not fresh. I don't eat meat, so non-issue for me. I buy tea bags, chocolate, canned beans, aple juice, ect. at Aldi.

Ocasionally, I'll buy produce if the price is great, it looks good, and I know I can eat it all w/in 72 hours.

Milk there is $1.98, and Publix its $4.29 earlier this week. Just 1 example of the price differential Aldi vs. Publix.
So it works for you, that's great. I buy none of those items so no appeal for me. ALDI definitely fills a niche. Again, if it were closer I would probably shop there once in a while, but since it isn't, it's a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 06:13 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Default Aldi buying the Sarasota and Venice stores

I saw this posted on a local Venice forum today:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/busine...stores-to-aldi

Old 01-30-2020, 01:22 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I saw this posted on a local Venice forum today:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/busine...stores-to-aldi
Thx! I wont have to drive up to Aldi in Nokomis anymore.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:09 AM

12 posts, read 5,876 times
the aldi near me is a relative dump - seen better at DG food stores

Old 01-31-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_mana View Post
the aldi near me is a relative dump - seen better at DG food stores
The Aldi nearest us is newer, and is nice. They do struggle with the fresh produce area right inside the main entrance since its a high traffic area, and berries are constantly being spilled there.

They should have placed the produce department elsewhere w/in the store.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:02 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
So it's official, Aldi is going to take over that spot.

I was hoping it would be Detwiler since the Venice location is really small, but oh well.

I don't shop a lot of package food, and Aldi is really sad when it comes to fresh produce items. The savings from going all over the place just to hunt for 1 deal here, 1 deal there, is not worth the aggravation for me. Coming from Northern Virginia, we're really, really spoiled for reasonably priced fresh produce, including some tropical fruits and vegetables. That's why I love Detwiler - their fresh produce selections are the best, IMO. I'm just grateful we have it here as an option.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
So it's official, Aldi is going to take over that spot.

I was hoping it would be Detwiler since the Venice location is really small, but oh well.

I don't shop a lot of package food, and Aldi is really sad when it comes to fresh produce items. The savings from going all over the place just to hunt for 1 deal here, 1 deal there, is not worth the aggravation for me. Coming from Northern Virginia, we're really, really spoiled for reasonably priced fresh produce, including some tropical fruits and vegetables. That's why I love Detwiler - their fresh produce selections are the best, IMO. I'm just grateful we have it here as an option.
I agree. I wish there was a Detwiler in Lakeland. Best store for produce, meats and fish (and some other things).

Old 02-01-2020, 04:17 AM

Detweilers has a wide array of produce, but the grade of their produce is lower than most other grocers we have here.

I think their fish quality and pricing is the best thing about Detweilers.

I wont go to ther Venice store anymore because its too dangerous to pull into and out of the partking area, and the parking area is also dangerous due to poor design.

Maybe, I'll try again off-season and after the road construction out fron along 41 has been completed.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 2,702 times
I'm a winter resident here from upstate NY (Wegmans territory, although my nearest one is 45 min away.) I love the service at Publix, but other than the BOGO items I think they are really overpriced.
I do a lot of shopping at Aldi back north and it has become my first stop for shopping. You can't be the prices on so many things. Then I go to my local large chain to fill in with things I don't buy there. I realize this isn't an option for busy people with young families.
I just went to the Nokomis Aldi - it is a nice store! I do buy produce there and have never had a problem.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 5,876 times
discounters aren't supermarkets ! different standards of buying, different qualities also
Like Detweilers is a bulk wholesale buyer of junk produce all from south America and Mexico -- stuff that the buyers at Publix, Wegmans, Kroger, even Walmart won't touch/order to be brought into their stores - but shoppers don't know this - and the meat is NOT first run USDA Choice - most is garbage "Select"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area