Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 10:34 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,624,289 times

Advertisements

My CEO did another short 'get outta the house' run to Laurel Rd Publix, this morning:
-they had PT, both Brawny & Bounty in 'large' roll 6 packs, one pkg to a customer; like finding a gold doubloon on the beach, lol!

-No salmon of any species; we were Jonesing for salmon. Other fish was just so-so she said, though they did have swordfish if one likes eating 'baby sword'.
-Meat counter closed, but meat cases were full: good.
-Not too crowded and easy to keep distance, she said.

Chased the ball again this morning: temps were decent for first few holes, (for my less than hot liking), but hazy sun peaked through and RH cranked up.
Stay Safe,
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 02:18 PM

734 posts, read 762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Great report Matt...thx! Costco's all over it....even the restrooms! Classy company.

How many people were in the check out line in front of you, and did you feel you were far enough away from others during the check-out process?

What capacity was the parking lot at that time? Did you have to park over by Sears, and back several rows?

Was everyone wearing masks? Costco employees? Customers?
It was not busy at all. I arrived shortly after 5pm and was probably checking out around 6pm, and they close at 6:30pm. Plenty of lanes open, with 1 person waiting and 1 checking out in each line, so minimal waits.

I thought I was keeping my distance standing near the front edge of the belt while the person was paying, but they told me to move farther back to some yellow line. So plenty of distancing in practice at checkout!

Lot was the least-full I've ever seen it. I parked on the liquor store side (which was also open), and got a spot in the first full horizontal row, where I usually park. Plenty of parking spots around.

I wore a mask, and I'd say the majority of people were. But not everyone, not even all the workers. So it must be optional.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 7,554,323 times
For the first time in weeks, the Walmart neighborhood store at State Rd 70 & Lockwood Ridge in south Manatee county had the entire aisle of paper products fully stocked for toilet paper and paper towels!

What was even more shocking, shoppers were not rushing to grab tp or pt, a few had items in their carts but most people were walking by that aisle without stopping. My guess is a lot of people have enough toilet paper at home to last thru hurricane season, with all the hoarding that's been going on.....

Old 04-18-2020, 07:33 AM

564 posts, read 554,099 times
The New TP is meat or maybe frozen pizza

https://popculture.com/trending/2020...irus-pandemic/

Last edited by joshan; 04-18-2020 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-18-2020, 07:53 AM

25,863 posts, read 12,890,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
It was not busy at all. I arrived shortly after 5pm and was probably checking out around 6pm, and they close at 6:30pm. Plenty of lanes open, with 1 person waiting and 1 checking out in each line, so minimal waits.

I thought I was keeping my distance standing near the front edge of the belt while the person was paying, but they told me to move farther back to some yellow line. So plenty of distancing in practice at checkout!

Lot was the least-full I've ever seen it. I parked on the liquor store side (which was also open), and got a spot in the first full horizontal row, where I usually park. Plenty of parking spots around.

I wore a mask, and I'd say the majority of people were. But not everyone, not even all the workers. So it must be optional.
Thx Matt!

Old 04-18-2020, 08:57 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,964,394 times
I think if you avoid stores during "retiree" and "snowbird" hours you won't have any issues.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:15 AM

25,863 posts, read 12,890,963 times
I'm hoping things will thin out due to departing snowbirds, so the stores will get back normal, mostly empty mid afternoons, no shortages.

My next trip out is getting near. I'm thinking Target 1 hr before closing time. I've never seen a crowded Target, and their checkout areas are very spacious.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:08 PM

8,601 posts, read 4,720,308 times
Walmart to require all employees wear face masks starting Monday as part of coronavirus response:
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

"Walmart and Sam's Club will require all employees to wear masks or other face coverings starting Monday to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Shoppers also will be encouraged to wear face masks as part of the retailers' updated COVID-19 response.

The retail giant announced the changes in a letter sent to employees that was posted on Walmart.com late Friday.

The employee policy is for U.S. stores, clubs, distribution and fulfillment centers, and corporate offices, according to the letter written by Walmart U.S. president and CEO John Furner and Sam's Club CEO Kath McLay."

-----------------------------------------------------

I wonder what exactly they mean by shoppers will be "encouraged" to wear masks? Does this mean the greeter that wipes off the carts will "suggest" to shoppers they wear a mask? Or if you decline you'll be frowned upon?

Would Walmart have the legal authority to ban shoppers from their stores if they refused to wear a mask? I know the CDC recommends it - but it's not mandated by any kind of law. Still I'm thinking if Walmart wanted to they could ban shoppers (without a mask) from their store. It would probably be up to the local store manager. I don't think Walmart would do that though because many would consider it bad public relations and a violation of their "rights".

Last edited by wondermint2; 04-18-2020 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 04:20 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,143,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post

I wonder what exactly they mean by shoppers will be "encouraged" to wear masks? Does this mean the greeter that wipes off the carts will "suggest" to shoppers they wear a mask? Or if you decline you'll be frowned upon?

Would Walmart have the legal authority to ban shoppers from their stores if they refused to wear a mask? I know the CDC recommends it - but it's not mandated by any kind of law. Still I'm thinking if Walmart wanted to they could ban shoppers (without a mask) from their store. It would probably be up to the local store manager. I don't think Walmart would do that though because many would consider it bad public relations and a violation of their "rights".
Yes, social ostracization is a thing. I'm pretty sure we've all experienced it a time or two in our lives. Unless it was store/company policy, employees wouldn't say anything, but in an area where the vast majority of people were wearing masks/believe it is the "right" thing to do, other customers might. (My wife was going to run into Publix on the way home from work on Easter Eve to get carrots for the Easter bunny. She didn't, which I told her was a good thing. Many people might not have been happy with her walking around in her scrubs).

Yes, any business can refuse service to anyone, as long as they're not doing it based on discrimination of a protected class. Yes, stores can require you to wear masks. Fresh Market is doing so.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:26 PM

8,601 posts, read 4,720,308 times
I just got back home from shopping at the Aldi in Nokomis and the Publix off Laurel Rd. in Nokomis. It was about 2:45 PM when I arrived at Aldi. Neither store was very crowded. No waiting in line at all to check out. Both stores have one way aisles and the plexi-guard shields up at the check out. All the employees were wearing masks. I'd say at Aldi about 50% of the customers were wearing masks - while at Publix it was more like 70% - 80%. They had toilet paper and paper towels at Aldi. The only thing that I noticed Aldi was a bit low on was frozen vegetables.

Normally I wouldn't shop at Publix - but there is a sign warning about the road construction going on about 6 miles down (on Hwy 41 heading North). It says that there's only one lane open and advises taking an alternate route (this construction is like right before the Walmart in Osprey). So for people coming from the South and heading North trying to get to the Walmart in Osprey - it seems like it's going to be a hassle until this construction is finished.

Last edited by wondermint2; 04-21-2020 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area