Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 03:17 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

I think we are 90% cleared out now, based upon my observations and discussions. The areas snowbirds & tourists frequent are almost all Florida car tags now.

The last snowbird I know personally that is still here leaves May 11th.

When I drive through my neighborhood on trash day, ~1/3rd of the driveways have no trash out...those are mostly the snowbirds homes.

I think inflation will hurt our Summer time tourist revenues. People will stay closer to home. Regular gas is $4.20 & premium is ~$5.00 now, & I think it will go up even more as other countries stop buying from Russia. Food prices are eating into vacation budgets.

I predict this Summer tourist revenue will be lower than last Summers.

I'm not ready to predict next tourist season yet. I'm just glad its thinned out so much now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 03:23 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I think we are 90% cleared out now, based upon my observations and discussions. The areas snowbirds & tourists frequent are almost all Florida car tags now.

The last snowbird I know personally that is still here leaves May 11th.

When I drive through my neighborhood on trash day, ~1/3rd of the driveways have no trash out...those are mostly the snowbirds homes.

I think inflation will hurt our Summer time tourist revenues. People will stay closer to home. Regular gas is $4.20 & premium is ~$5.00 now, & I think it will go up even more as other countries stop buying from Russia. Food prices are eating into vacation budgets.

I predict this Summer tourist revenue will be lower than last Summers.

I'm not ready to predict next tourist season yet. I'm just glad its thinned out so much now.

2018 was a tough summer in Lee, Collier, and Charlotte Counties due to the massive red tide. It hurt business a lot. I hope it's not that bad but what I'm seeing in another thread has me worried about the bookings being way down in the Pan Handle for hotels.

Hurricane season could affect my sales too. From what I'm seeing though, all the ingredients are there for an active season. I wouldn't be shocked if we get a couple threats.

I'm still seeing a few plates from Ohio, NY, NJ. Not all are gone but most are. Even in the summer you'll see a few of them.

I work part time at Publix and people of all ages and all income brackets are cutting back on what they buy.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:47 PM

I finally ventured out to a popular restaurant to eat dinner at 7:30 tonight (Wednesday), & it was only 1/3rd full. The bartender said even earlier, at 5:30, they were not near full. He agreed with me that nearly all of the snow birds have left.

There were several parking spots in the row closest to the entry door, so I knew it would be quiet inside.

They were grossly overstaffed, so those working for tips had a rough night.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I finally ventured out to a popular restaurant to eat dinner at 7:30 tonight (Wednesday), & it was only 1/3rd full. The bartender said even earlier, at 5:30, they were not near full. He agreed with me that nearly all of the snow birds have left.

There were several parking spots in the row closest to the entry door, so I knew it would be quiet inside.

They were grossly overstaffed, so those working for tips had a rough night.
If food prices keep going up you might notice less eating out as well.

Not only restaurant menu prices up but notice how they're using cheaper meats and such now. Cutting corners on food quality.

I hear a lot of locals complaining about food quality. Very inconsistent but also cheaper meats .

I love sharkies in venice. They raised the price of the large platter. Like 40 bucks now but they only give you a couple sea scallops now on it! Give you more fried shrimp on it now instead. At least the food is still good but an example how they cut back. I get the cod meal and the appetizer platter that has grouper nuggets and onion rings. More food snd the two combined 8 bucks cheaper! Than the platter.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:44 AM

Grocery prices have escalated faster than restaurant prices, but yes, some restaurants are cutting quantity and/or quality and/or while increasing prices I've heard and read. If you read recent reviews, those comments are popping up.

My 1st dinner restaurant exerience in many months went well, & I felt the value was acceptable. The more relevant fact to this thread is that the place was 2/3rd empty, and the bartender agreed that the snowbirds are nearly all gone now.

I hope other year rounders (like myself) will get out to support the locally-owned restaurants now that the snowbird madness has ended. A lot of restaurant employees will lose their jobs, or be forced to quit, with the falloff in business, & tips.

I'd hate to try to operate a restaurant around here with the wild fluctuations in businss volumes. A lot of food must be going to waste right now, & workers making a lot less in tips.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:26 PM

Just went to Fisherman's Village.

VERY SLOW! So many open tables.

Wasn't that way at 4pm this time back in Feb.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Just went to Fisherman's Village.

VERY SLOW! So many open tables.

Wasn't that way at 4pm this time back in Feb.
This off-season could be brutal on our working neighbors. Plz shop local, & support local businesses.

I think more have head North than we can imagine...its crickets chirping around here which is nice for some of us, but not for working people in the service sector.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
This off-season could be brutal on our working neighbors. Plz shop local, & support local businesses.

I think more have head North than we can imagine...its crickets chirping around here which is nice for some of us, but not for working people in the service sector.
Yep. I really think it's inflation too. People are not eating out as much as well. Just bought my k cup coffee at walmart. Was 12.74 4 months ago then 13.74 recently and tonight was 14.74 for it!

2018 was brutal around here because of red tide and blue green algae when the national media kept talking about it scared people away.

Less taking vacations due to gas, but locals spending less too. Im worried about my summer sales.

I also think some service jobs might cut their staffing shortages if you have more people taking second jobs or retired people applying due to higher cost.

Dow tanked 1000 points today

Old 05-06-2022, 05:43 AM

"Be careful what you wish for" I've been wishing for the snowbirds to leave, & I got my wish, but geez, they must have each taken other people with them. What a stark contrast.

I thought our 54,000 new neighbors would soften the blow, but they must have all taken one more trip back North too.

Maybe when school gets out up North, some families will come down & spend some $ here.

I see consumers pulling back, and travel to FLA is one of the 1st things they cut.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:20 AM

Dead here at the market. Slower than last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area