Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 10:13 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It might, who knows? I'd also think maybe a bad hurricane with lots of damage and power out for a couple months ( like what happened to us in Miami in 1992) might drive some people off but I can't wish such a thing on anyone and I sure don't want to live through another Andrew and two years aftermath again.
I posted similar too. Not so much that but if we have another 2004 type season or a large in size cat4 or cat5 goes up the FL West Coast like Irma was supposed to do all the way to Tampa, THAT could cause a decrease in population. The major surge damage and wind damage. A cat5 for sure would do total destruction. In addition the insurance industry would be demolished.

If Irma had went into Miami and up the spine of FL as 150mph that might have done it. Wouldn't shock me if FL had a 20 percent deduction in population.

Dorain recall the forecast models showed it as a strong cat5 stalling over Miami for 2 days. That would have caused total destruction.

If FL has hurricanes like it did in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s again this state will look a lot different.

If THIS mad landfall in Miami or scraped Naples to Sarasota it could do it. A storm like Dorian stationary with 160mph plus winds for 24 hours straight would look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb shockwave.

175mph

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 05:21 AM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
The snowbirds are long gone before Hurricane season begins June 1st, so that would be a different topic.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:03 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,543,282 times
We could play "what if" about a lot of things.

What if the New Madrid Fault in the midwest became active? Earthquakes could tragically impact parts of 7 states, plus totally destroy Memphis.

Tornadoes tear thru the midwest every spring, and often in the fall as well. One particularly destructive outbreak of tornadoes hit 6 midwestern states in December of 2021.

Hurricanes are not just a Florida event. Texas, the Carolinas, even New York City have suffered the rain and wind effects of hurricanes.

If you're looking for a safe haven, Michigan is considered one of the safest states in terms of potential natural disasters. That is, if you can take the winter months.

Natural disasters can take place in any state.

Earthquakes, volcanoes, blizzards, tornados, intense storms, wildfires, landslides, avalanches, sinkholes, flooding, droughts, heat waves, and more are all on the table. “The U.S. is blessed with a wide range of natural hazard events,” says David Applegate, acting deputy director of the United States Geological Survey.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:25 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
We could play "what if" about a lot of things.

What if the New Madrid Fault in the midwest became active? Earthquakes could tragically impact parts of 7 states, plus totally destroy Memphis.

Tornadoes tear thru the midwest every spring, and often in the fall as well. One particularly destructive outbreak of tornadoes hit 6 midwestern states in December of 2021.

Hurricanes are not just a Florida event. Texas, the Carolinas, even New York City have suffered the rain and wind effects of hurricanes.

If you're looking for a safe haven, Michigan is considered one of the safest states in terms of potential natural disasters. That is, if you can take the winter months.

Natural disasters can take place in any state.

Earthquakes, volcanoes, blizzards, tornados, intense storms, wildfires, landslides, avalanches, sinkholes, flooding, droughts, heat waves, and more are all on the table. “The U.S. is blessed with a wide range of natural hazard events,” says David Applegate, acting deputy director of the United States Geological Survey.
Great post ^^^. Some people think Florida is the only state to experience disasters. My mother grew up in Missouri by the way, and told me stories of numerous flash floods where her family lost everything. No one is 100% guaranteed a safe haven anywhere.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:51 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Great post ^^^. Some people think Florida is the only state to experience disasters. My mother grew up in Missouri by the way, and told me stories of numerous flash floods where her family lost everything. No one is 100% guaranteed a safe haven anywhere.
So very true, and while it seems the prevailing myth passed along by the sensationalist news media is that Florida is the Ground Zero for hurricanes, other states are hit by them as well. And other types of natural disasters that give little or no warning ( tornados, wildfires, flooding, mudslides) hit other areas, seemingly with more frequency than we get hurricanes in FL.

Still, I knew of a number of people who decided to call it quits in FL after hurricane Andrew in 1992, and following the hurricanes that hit FL in 2004 and 2005. I recall meeting up with some out of state visitors to FL one time when we spent a long weekend trying out an RV experience on Siesta Key. One woman, learning that we lived in Miami and had rebuilt our house after it was virtually destroyed in hurricane Andrew, asked me " how we could be so stupid as to move right back to the same area that had seen such destruction, as it would just happen over and over again". I pointed out it was home, we had our jobs, our lives, our history there, had rebuilt the house stronger than it was before, etc.

. As she kept going on about how "dumb" people like us were, I asked her to tell me, exactly where we could move where we could be 100% guaranteed of no natural ( or manmade, for that matter) disasters, EVER, and we would pull up our roots, find new jobs, archive our history and move there. She mentioned a few places, but couldn't come up with any places guaranteed to never have natural disasters. And I rested my case. Also I decided I had nothing more to say to her, not caring to be called names by ignorant strangers.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:39 PM

Hurricane season starts June 1st, and snowbirds are long gone by then...plz start another thread to discuss the weather. Thx!

Old 04-19-2022, 05:44 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
They are still here.

Tried to go out to dinner tonight. 75 min wait at 5:30. On a TUESDAY.

Go home already.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:17 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They are still here.

Tried to go out to dinner tonight. 75 min wait at 5:30. On a TUESDAY.

Go home already.
Where was this? I don't ever remember waiting 75 mins for a table. Even outback on Christmas eve when it was crowded.

Last time I went to Sharkies the wait was about 50 mins because it was almost 90 degrees and the beach was packed.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:34 AM

I've noticed easing, but not as much or as fast as I thought. Some of it is just lots of new permanent residents.

I'm seeing less out of state car tags, & parking lots at the beaches are easing up, & again, less outof state tags.

The Canadians & Minnesotans stay longer due to the weather back home still being lousy.

The 3-4 month renters have left, the Spring breakers are mostly gone, its the snow birds who own 2 homes who can leave as they wish that are staying longer...& the new permanent residents that we are seeing now.

I stil have not tried a top 10 restaurant from 5-8pm yet, but I have noticed Fins at the Venice Pier loading up starting at 4:45. By 5:30, its crowded, & by 6 its packed & too loud for me to deal with....ugh!

It's better than it was, but we have a a ways to go.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:32 AM

68 posts, read 82,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I've noticed easing, but not as much or as fast as I thought. Some of it is just lots of new permanent residents.

I'm seeing less out of state car tags, & parking lots at the beaches are easing up, & again, less outof state tags.

The Canadians & Minnesotans stay longer due to the weather back home still being lousy.

The 3-4 month renters have left, the Spring breakers are mostly gone, its the snow birds who own 2 homes who can leave as they wish that are staying longer...& the new permanent residents that we are seeing now.

I stil have not tried a top 10 restaurant from 5-8pm yet, but I have noticed Fins at the Venice Pier loading up starting at 4:45. By 5:30, its crowded, & by 6 its packed & too loud for me to deal with....ugh!

It's better than it was, but we have a a ways to go.
I tried to tell you it was not over April 1st - we know because we needed to rent a place and April 1st was impossible - May 1st on the other hand was not easy but doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area