Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,916 times

Advertisements

Single working mom with 2 children,we are thinking about relocating to Bradenton. The cape is changing much to fast (She aint what she used to be)
I did visit once and thought it was a very pretty town. But now I am reading about crack and meth problems and am frietened for my children( One being a teenage boy who is some what of a follower,and so far has managed to stay away from any of those problems. Is the crime REALLY as bad as it sounds compared to Cape Cod. Also looking at apartment located on55th ave, is that a bad area?

Would really be gratefull for some info!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM

523 posts, read 2,829,465 times
Why Bradenton? Do you have family there? My sister lived off 57th and hwy41 and it was bad around there. My niece lives off exit state rd 64, and also
University exit off Inerstate &4 is growing nice area. Of course Anna Maria Island is nice beach to go to .

Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
Marycape - check the site below. It is the link to the city - and you can get in touch with officials who wil give you crime stats. good vs. bad neighborhoods, schools, etc.

The City itself is always a good place tp start. I am considering Brandenton at some point in the future, too - along with Sarasota, Lakeland, Sebring, and Lake PLacid.

Happy Hunting!

http://www.cityofbradenton.com/

Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
If your going to go to Bradenton make it EAST bradenton, near Lakewood Ranch. You are just a few minutes further from the beach but a lot safer. Try Sarasota also, they have some nice younger areas that would be great for you kids. My suggestions also is to rent for sure. And the area you suggested? West Bradenton isn't a great area-we are there now but we are renting and looking to get out fast!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:03 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
If your going to go to Bradenton make it EAST bradenton, near Lakewood Ranch. You are just a few minutes further from the beach but a lot safer. Try Sarasota also, they have some nice younger areas that would be great for you kids. My suggestions also is to rent for sure. And the area you suggested? West Bradenton isn't a great area-we are there now but we are renting and looking to get out fast!
East Bradenton, the nice part, is minimum 40 min. to the beach - with the ever-present construction and traffic - more like an hour.

Funny, the west Bradenton we live in is wonderful, and has been for 9.5 years. We live in a beautiful, tree-canopied family neighborhood with A schools, and we are, literally, 10 minutes to the gulf beaches--where we go to eat out or just for coffee--several times a week. Plus, we get the gulf breezes that make the heat more bearable.

Don't overlook the gem that is West/NW Bradenton!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 AM

153 posts, read 479,917 times
Default Try Ellenton Parrish area

I am a Florida native and Bradenton is getting really bad. I would try the Ellenton/Parrish area. It's right off I75, nice, affordable homes and good schools.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamperedrachel View Post
I am a Florida native and Bradenton is getting really bad. I would try the Ellenton/Parrish area. It's right off I75, nice, affordable homes and good schools.
Bradenton has its rough area, just like every town and city in the USA. Lots of really nice family areas, too. We have been very happy here for a long time!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
We are looking to get out of Bradenton, we live just almost in NW bradenton. The problems seem to be strictly gang related, however I could be wrong. I just prefer to be in a more middle class area.. this area is very mixed. We're Looking to go to EAST Bradenton or Parrish.. Homes seem to be affordable, however, if you plan on renting you may be limited in this area

Old 12-05-2007, 02:16 AM

22 posts, read 115,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
Bradenton has its rough area, just like every town and city in the USA. Lots of really nice family areas, too. We have been very happy here for a long time!
We have too. I believe Bradenton is a nice place to grow a good family at. People say its dangerous but i find it quite safe.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marycape cod View Post
Single working mom with 2 children,we are thinking about relocating to Bradenton. The cape is changing much to fast (She aint what she used to be)
I did visit once and thought it was a very pretty town. But now I am reading about crack and meth problems and am frietened for my children( One being a teenage boy who is some what of a follower,and so far has managed to stay away from any of those problems. Is the crime REALLY as bad as it sounds compared to Cape Cod. Also looking at apartment located on55th ave, is that a bad area?

Would really be gratefull for some info!!
Thanks
I am originally from the Cape (Yarmouthport) and have lived in Pinellas County for almost 20 years. The 2 places are similar in that they both share the same problems that "vacation destinations" share. Poor job markets, rapidly rising costs, ect.

That is the only way they are similar. If you are at all concerned about your children's quality of education and environment, you should stay in Massachusetts. Even the best public schools in Florida don't compare to Mass as it pertains to test scores, graduation rates, students entering college, SAT's, ect. The drug problem is worse down here as well.

There are so many things that you will miss about the Cape although maybe not at first. Florida has a funny way of "creeping up on people" so to speak. The area that you are looking at is considered "Southwest" Florida. It is extremely hot and humid for most of the year. It will stay that way through the night as well because the dew points are very high. I know that the Cape has "moderate" winters compared to interior New England but their is NOTHING moderate about the weather in Southwest Florida for 10 months of the year.

If you enjoy the holidays at all, that will take some getting used to. Coming from the Cape, it's not going to feel like the holidays at all. The small town charm of the villages of the Cape will be a thing of the past. Most of Florida looks like Route 28 (times 100) on the Cape. Strip mall after strip mall.

I know the Cape "isn't what she used to be" but at least they strive to keep as much of the "quaint, small town feel" as possible. The local governments of the Cape keep control over developers with extremely tight regulations. That is not the case here at all. Developers have free reign of the entire state and always have. "Anything goes" down here and that has ruined the natural beauty of this state.

If you want my advise, remember- I have lived in BOTH places. I wouldn't move here nowadays from the Cape for any reason. If you have grown tired of the Cape, I would look elsewhere in New England or the Northeast. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area