Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 05:02 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Is Matt Gaetz still being investigated for child sex trafficking and having a relationship with a 17 year old or have these allegations been found to be not true?
Nothing has come of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 07:07 PM

224 posts, read 187,424 times
You can't rely on crime statistics. A lot of places just don't report crime and police don't show up when you call them. Thus places with better law enforcement sometimes report better stats. Look at suicides and murders combined those are harder to hide.

Old 01-07-2023, 09:15 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usir View Post
The real crime is that the Biden administration has done nothing to quantify the frequency of long COVID state-by-state.

How do you quantify the frequency of something with such a nebulous definition?

https://www.covid.gov/longcovid/definitions

“Long COVID is broadly defined as signs, symptoms, and conditions that continue or develop after initial COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2 infection. The signs, symptoms, and conditions are present four weeks or more after the initial phase of infection; may be multisystemic; and may present with a relapsing– remitting pattern and progression or worsening over time, with the possibility of severe and life-threatening events even months or years after infection. Long COVID is not one condition. It represents many potentially overlapping entities, likely with different biological causes and different sets of risk factors and outcomes.”

Here's how it's done in the U.K., which surveys for long COVID several times annually.

<<An estimated 2.1 million people living in private households in the UK (3.3% of the population) were experiencing self-reported long COVID (symptoms continuing for more than four weeks after the first confirmed or suspected coronavirus (COVID-19) infection that were not explained by something else) as of 4 December 2022.>>

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...k/5january2023

If the 3.3 percent rate is applied to the U.S., over 11 million Americans suffer from long COVID to some degree, but the statistic likely is higher in the U.S. due our inferior public health system, and especially higher in Florida given its the anti-public health regime instituted by the DeSantis administration.

The Trump administration severely limited autopsy research and to my knowledge, the Biden administration has not restored the national autopsy programs to previous levels. So we have ridiculously limited knowledge about the impact of COVID on bodies.

https://www.mountsinai.org/about/new...his-disease-pr

This U.S. lack of scientific research regarding COVID is unfortunate in many respects, not only because the health of many Americans is being impaired. E.g., there appears to be a drug that is effective in reducing or even preventing the damage to endothelium layer of blood vessels associated with COVID, but this drug largely has been ignored by the FDA.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34290717/

The U.S., and Florida, should be very worried about the consequences of repeated COVID infections, especially among children. The relative incidence of COVID in the U.S., especially compared to nations such as Japan and Australia, with robust public health measures and relatively high vaccination rates, may result in a general decline of public health in the U.S., especially among children if reinfected with COVID later in life.

<<
Now, a new study from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the Veterans Affairs St. Louis Health Care system shows the health consequences of reinfection. The researchers found that repeat SARS-CoV-2 infections contribute significant additional risk of adverse health conditions in multiple organ systems.

Such outcomes include hospitalization; disorders affecting the lungs, heart, brain, and the body’s blood, musculoskeletal and gastrointestinal systems; and even death. Reinfection also contributes to diabetes, kidney disease and mental health issues.>>

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/repe...failure-death/

The cost of long COVID disability on the U.S. and Florida economies could be staggering.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/20/long...-benefits.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/08/long...s-economy.html

Republicans such as Donald Trump and Jim Jordan are more interested in COVID as a source of political polarization than in effective public health policies, and Democrats largely only pay lip service to the long-term dangers of COVID, much as they do with the impact of climate change. In general, America is more interested in the politics of COVID than in the advancement of science-based policies to reduce the impact of this very deleterious infectious disease, and this is especially true in Florida relative to many other states, such as California. E.g., California seriously continues to consider adding COVID to its list of required school vaccines, while in Florida the DeSantis administration attempts to disparage further, even criminalize, COVID public health measures such as vaccination.

https://calmatters.org/education/202...-requirements/

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ity-committee/

If the U.S. greatly increased its rate of autopsies, including for children, perhaps we could develop a knowledge of the impact of COVID infections on the body and perhaps develop a consensus about the need for better public health measures to combat and treat COVID infections.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-07-2023 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-08-2023, 10:43 AM

119 posts, read 117,875 times
oh my my

Old 01-08-2023, 11:55 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Shouldn't posts on Covid be moved to a different thread as they are off of the topic of this thread?

Old 01-08-2023, 01:39 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Shouldn't posts on Covid be moved to a different thread as they are off of the topic of this thread?

See post 17, which initiated the COVID discussion. Was posting that article off-topic? If persons are moving to southwest Florida because they value lax public health defenses against COVID, COVID certainly isn't off-topic.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:28 PM

224 posts, read 187,424 times
I'm not against Floridas health policy but non stop flights from around the world and diseases they bring is a reason not to live here.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:54 PM

32 posts, read 25,194 times
An estimated 2.1 million people living in private households in the UK (3.3% of the population) were experiencing self-reported long COVID (symptoms continuing for more than four weeks after the first confirmed or suspected coronavirus (COVID-19) infection that were not explained by something else) as of 4 December 2022.

You’re citing “self report” as a scientific measure rather than actual diagnosis from a licensed professional?

The Trump administration severely limited autopsy research and to my knowledge, the Biden administration has not restored the national autopsy programs to previous levels. So we have ridiculously limited knowledge about the impact of COVID on bodies.

Why do you think the government (both administrations) would want to not investigate or suppress this data? And why do you think the world has so little definitive information about it after it being the single worst health crises of our lifetimes? Could it be they really don’t want what IS KNOWN to become public?

California seriously continues to consider adding COVID to its list of required school vaccines, while in Florida the DeSantis administration attempts to disparage further, even criminalize, COVID public health measures such as vaccination.

I would think it would be very harmful for California to require children to vaccinate as a requirement for in person education. Not only would it lead to worse outcomes for those who chose against the mandate it would also be something that would be legally challenged and if pursued could cost the state severely should they try to defend a mandate for parents and their children when we know as little about the vaccines as we do the disease.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:11 AM

140 posts, read 116,000 times
This post was ”Jacked” by the Branch Covidians.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:47 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightTalker2022 View Post
Reasons I NO LONGER want the Florida that you believe YOU want.

1. I’m not willing to uproot my entire life and extract myself from my family and friends, just to trade them in for a fantasy life of sunshine dreams and unicorns. Florida has more than its share of crime, gangs, drugs and homelessness. It’s the same as many other places; just with more boats and convenience gas marts. You WILL miss your family and lifelong friends.

2. Florida’s geographical location is in that prime "bullseye zone” for storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic every June 1-Nov 30. Since Hurricane Ian, the newer residents have a feel for what it's like, when a "BIG ONE" is coming. These newbies either had no idea what life is like when one of these “Ecological Disturbances” come through town or have been living under that denial rock. Long time residents basically hold their breath during this time or snow bird it to the Carolinas. Let's be honest, as people age, it becomes harder and harder to weather these storms, not to mention evacuation logistics and temporary relocation costs. All of these hardships can only be possible IF you are in good physical and mental condition?

3. I’ve been to Disney and realize that the yearly resident dream pass will render itself useless after a season or two. Mickey and Minnie are simple house pests anyway. Once a resident, you will find yourself avoiding large tourist crowds, as you proudly coin yourself as a “resident”

4. Gated-type community living is a very popular concept in Florida. This is not far off from living in a glorified correctional facility. The strict rules of these communities limit the freedoms and privileges of its residents in the name of “maintaining a specific standard” “If I want to paint my door green, I’ll paint my door green”. Also, many quickly learn to over-use the Hawaiian born word “lanai” and repeat it often as they are impressed that they now have one. Not to worry, most of you will enjoy your neighbors lanai as well. Uncomfortable and unwanted conversations echoing from their beautiful lanai will be an earshot away from your new over-promoted private paradise. The idea of paying those HOA fees are justified when purchasing that new dream property, but the value will truly be measured over time. As rates drastically rise, due to the increases needed for services and repairs, residents feel the real squeeze in their wallets as they quickly climb to "golden year' status on that fixed income.. Time to uproot again!

5. Wild pigs, wild coyote packs and more species of snakes, frogs and lizards than you ever imagined! Honorable mention goes out to that friendly 10 foot Gatorsaurus Rex you named when it was a cute little pond swimmer, “WHO’S MORE AFRAID OF YOU, THAN YOU ARE OF IT”. Don’t forget to look under your car before taking that afternoon ride to that signature beach. Not to worry, many of the snakes in Florida are harmless, unless of course you step on one. Did you know that alligators do not have a brain and will eat anything when hungry? This makes it very difficult to have pets. Also, small children need to be restricted from playing in the yard near any water or tall grass (remember those cute little snakes?)………… Still thinking about those “Wild Pigs?” I almost forget a to mention the insects disguised as alien roaches. Ah, just forget it. I want to leave something for the imagination. It's all good until they breach the perimeter of your home. Look up: LOVE BUGS (No, Not the car)

6. Thousands are currently choosing Florida as the “Relocation State”, and believe they have found out life’s secret formula, just as you have. Soon, over-population issues will bring you right back to the conditions you fled up there in that that over-taxed, snow-covered unbearable place, that you couldn’t wait to leave. You remember that place right? That place where you left your family and friends and now get upset because they haven’t traveled thousands of miles to gawk at your new beginnings? Besides, we all saw it already on. FB. Residents constantly complain that the tourists are ruining everything. You know, those “tourists" who are now residents?

7. “Swamp Hot” is never enjoyable. Waking up at 4 am to get a round of golf “in” before that oppressive sun rises doesn’t appeal to me “at all”. The last time I played, I felt “rushed” by the other golfers, who obviously employ the technique of “speed golf” during the hot months in order to check a box to validate their existence in paradise; not too enjoyable for me. On the plus side, one can play later in the day for a discount. The only problem is that it may conflict with dinner time (which starts @ 4pm)

8. The idea of owning a golf cart to get around is so novel and appealing, until you are stuck driving behind the block watchers, who are out on community patrol, writing down the license plates of every car that is present in their community and reporting drivers labeled “speed demons”, who recklessly race over the speed bumps at 15 mph. You’ll find your license plate listed on the community bulletin board at that clubhouse you are no longer impressed by.

9. I prefer having more than 2 seasons other than “unbearably oppressive” and “not too humid”. A proper comfortable “Fall” season is something I look forward to. I maintain winter just fine and am not afraid of snowfall. I truly believe that a big reason some move to Florida is to prod people up North when it is snowing on them. It’s partially true. No, really, it is. I’ve been party to thousands of conversations where people attribute their relocation 100% because of “not wanting to shovel snow” HERE’S A NEWSFLASH “You can hire a snow removal service”…. and still keep your family and friends close.

10. Dining. Don't get me started. Hey!, we all like to eat; like everyday? Restaurant chains at every intersection where the food quality is sub-par at best. Olive Garden just doesn't cut it and Chick-fil-A is okay in a pinch, but I'm still not buying into that altruistic, old school "We're CLOSED on Sundays" slogan. If banks are open, you can be open.

11. Increasing Taxes, Water pollution, Sink Holes, Invasive Species, Congestion and Lack of Efficient Transportation are major concerns right now in the State of Florida. It appears to me that the idyllic concept of a Florida retirement doesn’t have the appeal it offered 25-30 years ago. And it appears things will be escalating.

12. Homeowners and Car Insurance. Insurance companies will ALWAYS pass their costs on to the individual. After all, they're in business for profit. Florida has some of the highest car insurance and homeowner rates in the USA. Recently, many areas have been re-assessed and increased fees to cover unforeseen costs due to storms and erosion. Projections are scary.

Like Bon Jovi wrote "Who says you can't go home?"

On that note, I think I’ll stay put.
Speaking as a Native Floridian who retains a fondness for the state even though I chose to leave, I enjoyed this post.

The funny thing though is it could have been written in 1988, and yet the people keep coming! Florida was "overcrowded" and fretting about the problems of "overpopulation" with a mere 12 million residents back then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area