Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 08:08 AM

148 posts, read 125,070 times

Advertisements

Reasons I NO LONGER want the Florida that you believe YOU want.

1. I’m not willing to uproot my entire life and extract myself from my family and friends, just to trade them in for a fantasy life of sunshine dreams and unicorns. Florida has more than its share of crime, gangs, drugs and homelessness. It’s the same as many other places; just with more boats and convenience gas marts. You WILL miss your family and lifelong friends.

2. Florida’s geographical location is in that prime "bullseye zone” for storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic every June 1-Nov 30. Since Hurricane Ian, the newer residents have a feel for what it's like, when a "BIG ONE" is coming. These newbies either had no idea what life is like when one of these “Ecological Disturbances” come through town or have been living under that denial rock. Long time residents basically hold their breath during this time or snow bird it to the Carolinas. Let's be honest, as people age, it becomes harder and harder to weather these storms, not to mention evacuation logistics and temporary relocation costs. All of these hardships can only be possible IF you are in good physical and mental condition?

3. I’ve been to Disney and realize that the yearly resident dream pass will render itself useless after a season or two. Mickey and Minnie are simple house pests anyway. Once a resident, you will find yourself avoiding large tourist crowds, as you proudly coin yourself as a “resident”

4. Gated-type community living is a very popular concept in Florida. This is not far off from living in a glorified correctional facility. The strict rules of these communities limit the freedoms and privileges of its residents in the name of “maintaining a specific standard” “If I want to paint my door green, I’ll paint my door green”. Also, many quickly learn to over-use the Hawaiian born word “lanai” and repeat it often as they are impressed that they now have one. Not to worry, most of you will enjoy your neighbors lanai as well. Uncomfortable and unwanted conversations echoing from their beautiful lanai will be an earshot away from your new over-promoted private paradise. The idea of paying those HOA fees are justified when purchasing that new dream property, but the value will truly be measured over time. As rates drastically rise, due to the increases needed for services and repairs, residents feel the real squeeze in their wallets as they quickly climb to "golden year' status on that fixed income.. Time to uproot again!

5. Wild pigs, wild coyote packs and more species of snakes, frogs and lizards than you ever imagined! Honorable mention goes out to that friendly 10 foot Gatorsaurus Rex you named when it was a cute little pond swimmer, “WHO’S MORE AFRAID OF YOU, THAN YOU ARE OF IT”. Don’t forget to look under your car before taking that afternoon ride to that signature beach. Not to worry, many of the snakes in Florida are harmless, unless of course you step on one. Did you know that alligators do not have a brain and will eat anything when hungry? This makes it very difficult to have pets. Also, small children need to be restricted from playing in the yard near any water or tall grass (remember those cute little snakes?)………… Still thinking about those “Wild Pigs?” I almost forget a to mention the insects disguised as alien roaches. Ah, just forget it. I want to leave something for the imagination. It's all good until they breach the perimeter of your home. Look up: LOVE BUGS (No, Not the car)

6. Thousands are currently choosing Florida as the “Relocation State”, and believe they have found out life’s secret formula, just as you have. Soon, over-population issues will bring you right back to the conditions you fled up there in that that over-taxed, snow-covered unbearable place, that you couldn’t wait to leave. You remember that place right? That place where you left your family and friends and now get upset because they haven’t traveled thousands of miles to gawk at your new beginnings? Besides, we all saw it already on. FB. Residents constantly complain that the tourists are ruining everything. You know, those “tourists" who are now residents?

7. “Swamp Hot” is never enjoyable. Waking up at 4 am to get a round of golf “in” before that oppressive sun rises doesn’t appeal to me “at all”. The last time I played, I felt “rushed” by the other golfers, who obviously employ the technique of “speed golf” during the hot months in order to check a box to validate their existence in paradise; not too enjoyable for me. On the plus side, one can play later in the day for a discount. The only problem is that it may conflict with dinner time (which starts @ 4pm)

8. The idea of owning a golf cart to get around is so novel and appealing, until you are stuck driving behind the block watchers, who are out on community patrol, writing down the license plates of every car that is present in their community and reporting drivers labeled “speed demons”, who recklessly race over the speed bumps at 15 mph. You’ll find your license plate listed on the community bulletin board at that clubhouse you are no longer impressed by.

9. I prefer having more than 2 seasons other than “unbearably oppressive” and “not too humid”. A proper comfortable “Fall” season is something I look forward to. I maintain winter just fine and am not afraid of snowfall. I truly believe that a big reason some move to Florida is to prod people up North when it is snowing on them. It’s partially true. No, really, it is. I’ve been party to thousands of conversations where people attribute their relocation 100% because of “not wanting to shovel snow” HERE’S A NEWSFLASH “You can hire a snow removal service”…. and still keep your family and friends close.

10. Dining. Don't get me started. Hey!, we all like to eat; like everyday? Restaurant chains at every intersection where the food quality is sub-par at best. Olive Garden just doesn't cut it and Chick-fil-A is okay in a pinch, but I'm still not buying into that altruistic, old school "We're CLOSED on Sundays" slogan. If banks are open, you can be open.

11. Increasing Taxes, Water pollution, Sink Holes, Invasive Species, Congestion and Lack of Efficient Transportation are major concerns right now in the State of Florida. It appears to me that the idyllic concept of a Florida retirement doesn’t have the appeal it offered 25-30 years ago. And it appears things will be escalating.

12. Homeowners and Car Insurance. Insurance companies will ALWAYS pass their costs on to the individual. After all, they're in business for profit. Florida has some of the highest car insurance and homeowner rates in the USA. Recently, many areas have been re-assessed and increased fees to cover unforeseen costs due to storms and erosion. Projections are scary.

Like Bon Jovi wrote "Who says you can't go home?"

On that note, I think I’ll stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 10:29 AM

32 posts, read 25,261 times
Default https://www.city-data.com/forum/sarasota-bradenton-venice-area/3399586-honest-self-assessment.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightTalker2022 View Post

1. I’m not willing to uproot my entire life and extract myself from my family and friends, just to trade them in for a fantasy life of sunshine dreams and unicorns. Florida has more than its share of crime, gangs, drugs and homelessness. It’s the same as many other places; just with more boats and convenience gas marts. You WILL miss your family and lifelong friends.

2. Florida’s geographical location is in that prime "bullseye zone” for storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic every June 1-Nov 30. Since Hurricane Ian, the newer residents have a feel for what it's like, when a "BIG ONE" is coming. These newbies either had no idea what life is like when one of these “Ecological Disturbances” come through town or have been living under that denial rock. Long time residents basically hold their breath during this time or snow bird it to the Carolinas. Let's be honest, as people age, it becomes harder and harder to weather these storms, not to mention evacuation logistics and temporary relocation costs. All of these hardships can only be possible IF you are in good physical and mental condition?

3. I’ve been to Disney and realize that the yearly resident dream pass will render itself useless after a season or two. Mickey and Minnie are simple house pests anyway. Once a resident, you will find yourself avoiding large tourist crowds, as you proudly coin yourself as a “resident”

4. Gated-type community living is a very popular concept in Florida. This is not far off from living in a glorified correctional facility. The strict rules of these communities limit the freedoms and privileges of its residents in the name of “maintaining a specific standard” “If I want to paint my door green, I’ll paint my door green”. Also, many quickly learn to over-use the Hawaiian born word “lanai” and repeat it often as they are impressed that they now have one. Not to worry, most of you will enjoy your neighbors lanai as well. Uncomfortable and unwanted conversations echoing from their beautiful lanai will be an earshot away from your new over-promoted private paradise. The idea of paying those HOA fees are justified when purchasing that new dream property, but the value will truly be measured over time. As rates drastically rise, due to the increases needed for services and repairs, residents feel the real squeeze in their wallets as they quickly climb to "golden year' status on that fixed income.. Time to uproot again!

5. Wild pigs, wild coyote packs and more species of snakes, frogs and lizards than you ever imagined! Honorable mention goes out to that friendly 10 foot Gatorsaurus Rex you named when it was a cute little pond swimmer, “WHO’S MORE AFRAID OF YOU, THAN YOU ARE OF IT”. Don’t forget to look under your car before taking that afternoon ride to that signature beach. Not to worry, many of the snakes in Florida are harmless, unless of course you step on one. Did you know that alligators do not have a brain and will eat anything when hungry? This makes it very difficult to have pets. Also, small children need to be restricted from playing in the yard near any water or tall grass (remember those cute little snakes?)………… Still thinking about those “Wild Pigs?” I almost forget a to mention the insects disguised as alien roaches. Ah, just forget it. I want to leave something for the imagination. It's all good until they breach the perimeter of your home. Look up: LOVE BUGS (No, Not the car)

6. Thousands are currently choosing Florida as the “Relocation State”, and believe they have found out life’s secret formula, just as you have. Soon, over-population issues will bring you right back to the conditions you fled up there in that that over-taxed, snow-covered unbearable place, that you couldn’t wait to leave. You remember that place right? That place where you left your family and friends and now get upset because they haven’t traveled thousands of miles to gawk at your new beginnings? Besides, we all saw it already on. FB. Residents constantly complain that the tourists are ruining everything. You know, those “tourists" who are now residents?

7. “Swamp Hot” is never enjoyable. Waking up at 4 am to get a round of golf “in” before that oppressive sun rises doesn’t appeal to me “at all”. The last time I played, I felt “rushed” by the other golfers, who obviously employ the technique of “speed golf” during the hot months in order to check a box to validate their existence in paradise; not too enjoyable for me. On the plus side, one can play later in the day for a discount. The only problem is that it may conflict with dinner time (which starts @ 4pm)

8. The idea of owning a golf cart to get around is so novel and appealing, until you are stuck driving behind the block watchers, who are out on community patrol, writing down the license plates of every car that is present in their community and reporting drivers labeled “speed demons”, who recklessly race over the speed bumps at 15 mph. You’ll find your license plate listed on the community bulletin board at that clubhouse you are no longer impressed by.

9. I prefer having more than 2 seasons other than “unbearably oppressive” and “not too humid”. A proper comfortable “Fall” season is something I look forward to. I maintain winter just fine and am not afraid of snowfall. I truly believe that a big reason some move to Florida is to prod people up North when it is snowing on them. It’s partially true. No, really, it is. I’ve been party to thousands of conversations where people attribute their relocation 100% because of “not wanting to shovel snow” HERE’S A NEWSFLASH “You can hire a snow removal service”…. and still keep your family and friends close.

10. Dining. Don't get me started. Hey!, we all like to eat; like everyday? Restaurant chains at every intersection where the food quality is sub-par at best. Olive Garden just doesn't cut it and Chick-fil-A is okay in a pinch, but I'm still not buying into that altruistic, old school "We're CLOSED on Sundays" slogan. If banks are open, you can be open.

11. Increasing Taxes, Water pollution, Sink Holes, Invasive Species, Congestion and Lack of Efficient Transportation are major concerns right now in the State of Florida. It appears to me that the idyllic concept of a Florida retirement doesn’t have the appeal it offered 25-30 years ago. And it appears things will be escalating.

12. Homeowners and Car Insurance. Insurance companies will ALWAYS pass their costs on to the individual. After all, they're in business for profit. Florida has some of the highest car insurance and homeowner rates in the USA. Recently, many areas have been re-assessed and increased fees to cover unforeseen costs due to storms and erosion. Projections are scary.

Good decision, and no one will miss you. Not there, or here.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:10 PM

104 posts, read 113,858 times
Quote:

On item #10 - Banks aren't open on Sundays!! LOL!!

If things are so bad as you describe, why do you stay? Or is that Shekkie wants to stay, but the all of the personalities in your other 38 profiles don't?

Old 01-03-2023, 03:23 PM

60 posts, read 63,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usir View Post
Good decision, and no one will miss you. Not there, or here.
Ok, so why post here? Is this even a Sarasota post? It doesn't sound like Sarasota to me - Disney? Olive Garden? Who does that in Sarasota?

Old 01-03-2023, 05:44 PM

17,559 posts, read 39,213,061 times
Quote:

LOL - thanks for sharing!

Old 01-03-2023, 07:06 PM

137 posts, read 199,999 times
Default If you're serious about losing weight...

The thing about life is, sometimes what you don't know, can hold you back... Here's an interesting story.

There is a little known quick weight loss secret that will change your life. I just recently found out about this myself and it blew me away that something like this exists.

So my sister recently moved to California. She was born there but our family moved to CT when she was young. She's an adult now and tired of the snow, so back to Cali she went.

During her many adventures, she met a woman that helps people lose weight using various machines. To be honest, at first I didn’t believe it. But then my sister sent me the woman’s Instagram page with before and after pictures.

This is when my sister divulged that she had been getting sessions from the woman with great results, so she decided to just buy a machine and use it on herself at home. Again, I was blown away as I wondered, how do people not know about this??? Maybe they do, and I am tardy to the party?

While I am an advocate of natural health and exercise, I couldn’t help but be in awe of this weight loss technology and how quickly it works. I forgot about it for a while, until recently. On New Year’s Day, I caught up with a friend who called to wish me the best in 2023.

During our conversation, she said something that broke my heart. She said being overweight makes her feel trapped in her body. I’ve felt trapped in my own life, so I knew what she was feeling. The frustration and the helplessness to make changes you desperately need and want, so you can move forward.

Shortly after the call, I made the decision to start sharing these products, because this is a game changer AND a life changer. I spent hours researching online. I also called my sister to get more details on the specific products she has used, which ones are the best, and why.

These machines are an innovative solution to weight loss, cellulite treatment, skin tightening, wrinkle reduction and even acne treatment.

But wait, there’s more… You can turn this into a small business. You can either rent a booth at a local spa/ salon, or if you are comfortable doing so and have the space, you can turn this into a home business. $50+/ hour is great side money!

Be sure to download my free PDF Info Sheet with more details on this amazing weight loss technique, PLUS a certification link if you want to start your own business

Please keep in mind, this should not replace a healthy diet and regular exercise.

P.S. This is legit. Disclaimer: I make a living as an affiliate but only with things I can stand behind and know will be a blessing to others. I was so impressed with this stuff, that I set up a simple promotion page. If/ when you visit, you will see the same story at the top, so scroll down to get into the product details. New Body, New You

Wishing everyone a healthy, happy, prosperous and blessed 2023!

Old 01-03-2023, 07:43 PM

148 posts, read 125,070 times
A bit of satire. I see some people didn't realize that; others did. Either way, thanks for reading and I realize I'll need to post more. This was my first.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:04 AM

17,559 posts, read 39,213,061 times
Quote:
A bit of satire. I see some people didn't realize that; others did. Either way, thanks for reading and I realize I'll need to post more. This was my first.
Your post did not read like "satire". Especially for a first post.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:00 AM

119 posts, read 118,538 times
^^^ it's his opinion...fine with me...everyone has an opinion, right? satire or not...I took it as an observation laced with criticism ! most of which was "fairly accurate" and I'm a native.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:04 AM

4,630 posts, read 7,566,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DovieHarding View Post
^^^ it's his opinion...fine with me...everyone has an opinion, right? satire or not...I took it as an observation laced with criticism ! most of which was "fairly accurate" and I'm a native.
Sheckie alert......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area