Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 PM

63 posts, read 132,291 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how many channels (and which ones) you can get in the Venice area if you hook up your TV to an antenna? Do I need a converter box to do that? I'd prefer not to get cable for my house but would like to have some basic channels that pick up news, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,060 times
Doesn't everyone, everywhere need converter boxes now? I didn't follow the digital tv conversion since we already had it, but if I'm not mistaken, converter boxes are now a necessity. Someone here should know for sure...

Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
OK--some of this info might be redundant in that you know it already--but erring on the side of more complete vs less complete info...

digital tv conversion got pushed back
EVERYONE does not need a converter box to receive tv--not if you have cable or satellite--not if your tv is capable of receiving HD signals
your situation determins whether or not you need a "converter" box--and that is why they are running the "blackout" transmissions
if you can't see the tv program then you need a converter box

some older-analogue type tvs had tuners that picked up HD signals but not the ability to show those transmissions in HD format--issue of quality of what you saw vs just seeing the pictures--
newer/HD format tvs themselves can have HD tuners internally-- in that case you can use external antenna and use the tuner box in tv to download the broadcasts--or they require you to buy an HD tuner to receive channels--like the converter boxes...

just depends on the range of the sending stations and tv location and type of antenna---digital is more open to interference than analog
the quality of the cable you use to connect antenna signal to tv also has bearing on quality of picture

Tampa is pretty far from Venice...think Sarasota has stations but don't know how many

this link is the the wiki page on digital tv
frankly most of it I don't understand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...sion#Reception

and this one is to ATSC tuner --which is HDTV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_tuner
Viewers who do not upgrade, either to a television with a digital tuner or a set-top box, will end up losing their only source of television.

apparently from that statement--if your tv has ATSC turner then you should be able to use antenna to get broadcasts--
how many and how good the quality is would vary a great deal on location of broadcasting stations and your receiving location and general interference there...

this link is to site that sells antennas but general info seems fairly accurate
http://www.solidsignal.com/antennas/hdtv_info.asp
http://www.solidsignal.com/antennas/..._faqs.asp#faq0
note that is says digital tv transmissions are based on line-of-sight transmission---about 70 miles radius because of the earth's curvature so Tampa is at the edge of that range depending on where the transmission towers are actually set up--they could be further or closer...

In Sarasota area channel 7/ABC affiliate links to this site for choosing an antenna based on your street address
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
it also mentions that some tv stations will be changing from low VHF to high VHF or vice versa to avoid overlapping/weak signal transmissions

using my own location in TX--this is the list of channels we could get with HDTV and antenna reception
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx (broken link)
enter the address of your Venice home and see which of the other questions like is there an airport closer than 2 mi which you might need to consider since there is the Venice municipal airport close to some areas...
easiest stations are first--ranging to those with weaker signals needing stronger antenna...click the color link and see the type of antenna suggested

this is the CNET link to info on digital TV--I think CNET is usually very responsible/accurate with general info and most of their reviews are not too tainted by marketing ploys...
http://www.cnet.com/1990-7874_1-5108580-3.html

the problem is that most DHTVs now are definitely flat-screens--either plasmas or LCDs--and depending on size/features maybe more expensive than you want to pay for something that will be left in that house for 6 months at a time--

old fashioned "table top" or console tvs like your parents might be used to are not really done as HDTVs any more--there are models that have stands so they can be used without hanging on the wall however--which you probably know already...

you just need to make sure that the HDTV DOES HAVE a tuner within its components--some don't and then you have to buy a tuner and have someplace to put it to hook it up to the HDTV...

Last edited by loves2read; 03-10-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
South Sarasota, Venice, Northport are between the Tampa and Fort Myers markets. You may need two antennas to get all stations available.
One antenna pointed north [22 degrees] towards the Riverview towers for channel 8, 13, 32, 40, 44. You will not get channel 10 CBS Their transmission is from Tarpon Springs and too far. To get CBS and other channels south, you would need an antenna pointed towards Cape Coral to get most Fort Myers staions.
If you have an old analog TV, you need a converter box. Some staions are now digital only.
Go to antennaweb.org for info

Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful! I really don't want to pay for cable all year if I'm not going to be there half the time. Just a few channels to get basic news, etc will be fine for me.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:58 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
we use the dish network pay as you go scheme -pretty good -downsides are no local mainstream stations (CBS NBC etc) plus a call center in India. to get the main ones we need another dish/antenna

Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,287 times
I'm amazed ANYONE doesn't know about the converter box stuff. Have you seen tv in the last 6 months since they've been telling us ad nauseum we need a converter box if we have an antenna???? And they're STILL running them, even tho the conversion to digital was a few weeks ago.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM

MrCool,

Yea... I'm aware of the need for a converter box, for the most part, but they've run practically no ads in the DC area.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Mr&MrsSunshine,

What's the pay as you go scheme? Who offers it and how much do you pay?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
DC guy.
Its run by dish network
Basically - go into Radio Shack and buy dish and box (about $120.
get someone to fix it
Buy a pay as you go card with credit from Radio Shack ($30)
call dish network -register first time form then on just 'top up' pretty much as you do withprepaid cells. $30 gets you between 20 and 30 days consecutive supply depending which optio you choose. Suits us down to the ground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area