Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:06 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,738,125 times

Advertisements

Crime increased 0.4 percent in Manatee in 2008 - Breaking Newsletter - Bradenton.com

I tell you, I can feel it. It's not everywhere in Manatee, but there are things going on.

-Carjackings on 75th Street West (A Good Part of Bradenton!!)
-Purse Snatching at Walmart Parking Lot
-Gang Related Shootings (Homicides and Such)
-Non-Gang Related Shootings (Homicides and Such)

Not to mention what ISN'T reported. People, crime may have risen only a little bit, but it's rising, that's not a good sign. Please be careful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,146,054 times
You know my take on it....ugh!

Old 05-08-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
You know my take on it....ugh!
Oh yea, we've been posting together long enough that I know what you thinking.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 AM

51 posts, read 222,884 times
I don't live or work in Manatee county so I don't know how bad it is, but isn't crime up everywhere?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntw8up View Post
I don't live or work in Manatee county so I don't know how bad it is, but isn't crime up everywhere?
Not necessarily. Some cities crime rates are still low or remained the same from the previous year. It is no surprise to people that crime is up in Manatee. The biggest problem is the gangs. The gangs are starting to infest the local mall. In fact, the rumor going around the town is that the Desoto Mall will be closed, JCPenney, Macy's, Dillard's and Sears will move to University Pkwy. and University will become a mega mall area.

Point is.... yes, crime might be up in other places, but when it effects your city, then it's upsetting.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 PM

43 posts, read 85,923 times
Default Different Breed

Over the next few years, the crimes will be done by former middle class educated people. This is what is so dangerous.

These people will not be the poor, uneducated but instead your former neighbor. They will think very closely to you and know where you hide your valuables (or what valuables you have).

And the areas that will be hit the hardest will be affluent areas. So it will be in a whole new area for crime.

Remember people are losing their house, car, job, and everything else. They have nothing to lose.

It is rather remarkable that more violence hasn't happened. Of course, the next wave down over this year will change that. Tent cities are only getting larger.

My 2 cents.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:15 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,146,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Not necessarily. Some cities crime rates are still low or remained the same from the previous year. It is no surprise to people that crime is up in Manatee. The biggest problem is the gangs. The gangs are starting to infest the local mall. In fact, the rumor going around the town is that the Desoto Mall will be closed, JCPenney, Macy's, Dillard's and Sears will move to University Pkwy. and University will become a mega mall area.

Point is.... yes, crime might be up in other places, but when it effects your city, then it's upsetting.
Wow...closing Desoto Square...what an idea...unfortunately, that mall's been in decline for quite a while....sounds like the thing to do but then where will the crime go?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Wow...closing Desoto Square...what an idea...unfortunately, that mall's been in decline for quite a while....sounds like the thing to do but then where will the crime go?
Good question Lady! Yeah, Desoto has nothing in it, and it's so bad down there they are advising that nobody go to the mall alone anymore. The crime is heavy down there, but I don't know where it would go. Maybe it would stay down there, they would just find a new hangout location.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Good question Lady! Yeah, Desoto has nothing in it, and it's so bad down there they are advising that nobody go to the mall alone anymore. The crime is heavy down there, but I don't know where it would go. Maybe it would stay down there, they would just find a new hangout location.
Crime is bad in Sarasota......seems all of Florida. And check out the Trek film on the net...see "your group".

Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 PM

84 posts, read 354,990 times
After a 2 year hiatus, "Sarasota_Blues" has returned. I can't believe that I haven't been on these boards in 2 years. I enjoyed the commentary that is shared here.

Anyway, I was Googling "Desoto Mall", because I heard that it is closing. I was shocked, but as a resident of Sarasota/Bradenton since 1981, I have seen that mall do nothing but decline over the years. I'm relieved that someone mentioned that the anchor stores are moving to University, which is much closer to my residence near downtown Sarasota.

Sarasota has recently had it's share of bad crime publicity of late, with the home invasion death of 1 lady near Gulf Gate, and the muggings of several women in the South Gate area, right on their own property.

I live in Gillespie Park, and just yesterday, I was waxing my car in my own driveway, when at about 7:00pm, some dude comes walking up to me, with a story about his wife had a car accident in Tampa, and he needed $5.00 for gas to get up there. I told him that I couldn't help him, and he went and knocked on the house across the street, as well as asked the young lady on the corner house. I kept a wary eye on the situation, as the lady went into her house, and the strange dude left. (Warning: rant ahead!) Why is it that every vagrant in my neighborhood feels compelled to concoct some wild story about a relative in Tampa, and they don't have a dollar to their name to get up there?

It a sad day, when I have to contemplate keeping my shotgun by my side, while working in my own yard! However, In Gillespie Park, with all the transient people nearby, there's always somebody that passes by looking for a handout (money, cigarettes, etc. - something), and I'm getting sick of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area