Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM

593 posts, read 1,918,586 times

Advertisements

i want to move there and send my son to Pine View but I need to talk his dad into moving too.

He works from home and loves the beach, so I thought it was a no brainer, but, of course, if he had a brain I'd still be with him. He vetoed the idea. I'm applying for the school anyway.

He says his research says there is a growing issue with crime, nothing for singles to do, and that it is polluted and the water is no good.

Being from Boca, I can't imagine the water could be any worse than our "Eu De Golfcourse" city water, we have a giant sewage effluent on our beach (it is al palmetto park road if you are interested) and there isn't anything for singles to do here, either, unless they are rich, or into botox and looking young and designer-ey and I'm not any of that. I drive a hybrid and my clothes are organic. I don't fit in in Boca anymore. . .

Basically, I really want to move but I have to sell the area to a 45 ear old curmudgeon who doesn't give a rat's ear about special school programs for his kid (a highly gifted, visual and musical arts talented science geek).

He likes women, money, and being on the water. . . and affordability, and things to do. and women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,637,841 times
Bring him over for a visit and sell it to him

Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,942,213 times
Pine View does give tours at certain times of the year. I don't know when you were thinking of enrolling your son in PV but I believe the cut off for this year has already passed. You might want to call the school board and ask though.

Well, he could always talk to me I have two kids in Pine View and we absolutely love it! We've been there about seven years or so and I wouldn't think of sending my kids to any other school. I really feel like that school is a chance in a lifetime.

I just posted a bunch of info on PV yesterday on another thread. Like Peter said, what about bringing him over here to check things out?

Good luck with it!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,151,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamom View Post
i want to move there and send my son to Pine View but I need to talk his dad into moving too.

He works from home and loves the beach, so I thought it was a no brainer, but, of course, if he had a brain I'd still be with him. He vetoed the idea. I'm applying for the school anyway.

He says his research says there is a growing issue with crime, nothing for singles to do, and that it is polluted and the water is no good.
same crime, different coast.

Being from Boca, I can't imagine the water could be any worse than our "Eu De Golfcourse" city water, we have a giant sewage effluent on our beach (it is al palmetto park road if you are interested) and there isn't anything for singles to do here, either, unless they are rich, or into botox and looking young and designer-ey and I'm not any of that. I drive a hybrid and my clothes are organic. I don't fit in in Boca anymore. . .
There's lots of things going on here, I know 'cause I"m involved.

Basically, I really want to move but I have to sell the area to a 45 ear old curmudgeon who doesn't give a rat's ear about special school programs for his kid (a highly gifted, visual and musical arts talented science geek).

I'm 47 and I love this town.

He likes women, money, and being on the water. . . and affordability, and things to do. and women.
He can find all the above here, just turn him loose at Fred's on a Friday night in Lakewood Ranch.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 AM

17,553 posts, read 39,191,005 times
Quote:

You say he's your "ex" - why does he have to be talked into anything? let him stay there if he wants, it's not that far to come visit. Besides, maybe if you go ahead and move he will relent and follow. It's great here, you will love it and you need to do what's best for your son - Pine View is great.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:11 AM

Good point Gypsy! Leave him on the other coast-the drive is not that bad Just wanted to post an update on Turtle Rock. There are six full bus loads of kids that come out of there and over 200 middle school kids.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You say he's your "ex" - why does he have to be talked into anything? let him stay there if he wants, it's not that far to come visit. Besides, maybe if you go ahead and move he will relent and follow. It's great here, you will love it and you need to do what's best for your son - Pine View is great.

Good luck to you!
thanks!!

the state of fl standard custody agreement only lets me move 45 miles away from him. if only it was so easy and the state jsut allowed me to do what was best! i can't go unless i talk him into it.

he vetoed it and the cutoff had passed for admissions for this year anyway, so i am planning a full year of talking him into it.

thank you, everyone!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:39 PM

i will bring him over, maybe the weekend after next if i can talk him onto it, but i need to know exactly where to take him to show the place off, and i need to look at some rentals that are awesome and on the water and not expensive, i guess.

thanks very much for your insight. i would love to discuss the school with you more.

i am deciding whether to leave my son in montessori for second grade, or try a public gifted program at an arts oriented title 1 school in palm beach county. it seems if i really want to go to sarasota, i should leave him where he is so he only needs to make one move.

i'm scared of public schools, as i had a terrible time in them. but maybe they have gotten better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Pine View does give tours at certain times of the year. I don't know when you were thinking of enrolling your son in PV but I believe the cut off for this year has already passed. You might want to call the school board and ask though.

Well, he could always talk to me I have two kids in Pine View and we absolutely love it! We've been there about seven years or so and I wouldn't think of sending my kids to any other school. I really feel like that school is a chance in a lifetime.

I just posted a bunch of info on PV yesterday on another thread. Like Peter said, what about bringing him over here to check things out?

Good luck with it!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 PM

831 posts, read 2,439,975 times
Quote:
i will bring him over, maybe the weekend after next if i can talk him onto it, but i need to know exactly where to take him to show the place off, and i need to look at some rentals that are awesome and on the water and not expensive, i guess.

thanks very much for your insight. i would love to discuss the school with you more.

i am deciding whether to leave my son in montessori for second grade, or try a public gifted program at an arts oriented title 1 school in palm beach county. it seems if i really want to go to sarasota, i should leave him where he is so he only needs to make one move.

i'm scared of public schools, as i had a terrible time in them. but maybe they have gotten better.
Just an FYI Sarasota Middle School has a gifted program.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Give me a ring or email. I'd be happy to discuss it with you Ashton Elementary, which is also the districted school for Palmer Ranch, has a wonderful gifted program as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area