Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am from Tampa, and in fact, I am Spanish myself. In Tampa you hear a good bit of Spanish. I do not hear a "lot of Spanish" here in Sarasota. Not compared to other cities in this state. Is the Spanish speaking an issue for you?
Yes, in SE FL it really got under our skin hearing it all the time, especially by those 2nd generation people who could speak perfect English. Some of the ladies in the office would gossip about us "Anglo's" in Spanish right in front of us. (One Anglo knew Spanish and didn't let on, so we knew). We heard it EVERYWHERE--elevators, restaurants, stores, etc. Don't want to repeat that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Lots of Spanish spoken.

The whole state of Florida is full of traffic basically November through April. However, in the past five years, it's gotten increasingly less due to economic conditions.

Traffic in Sarasota doubles during season; fact of life. It's not unmanageable.
LWAF, I agree with you about the traffic. Even in the high season, the traffic is NOTHING compared to NYC or Boston. A busy day here on 41 is a breeze compared to the Big Dig on a slow day. It all depends what you are accustomed to.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Yes, in SE FL it really got under our skin hearing it all the time, especially by those 2nd generation people who could speak perfect English. Some of the ladies in the office would gossip about us "Anglo's" in Spanish right in front of us. (One Anglo knew Spanish and didn't let on, so we knew). We heard it EVERYWHERE--elevators, restaurants, stores, etc. Don't want to repeat that.
Miami is almost 60% hispanic, where Sarasota is about 12%, and Sarasota County is only 4% as opposed to 57% in Miami-Dade.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:40 PM

Default It Becomes More Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Miami is almost 60% hispanic, where Sarasota is about 12%, and Sarasota County is only 4% as opposed to 57% in Miami-Dade.
You'll be surprised how quickly that number grows. When I moved to Weston, FL 9 years ago, it was about 10% or less Hispanic. It is now more than 30%. Lots of South Americans, I hear.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
You'll be surprised how quickly that number grows. When I moved to Weston, FL 9 years ago, it was about 10% or less Hispanic. It is now more than 30%. Lots of South Americans, I hear.
Then don't move to South Florida if you are afraid of it becoming "more Spanish". This is a diverse area, if you don't like that you will have to move somewhere else. Personally I love the diversity. And yes, we are getting more South Americans here, many from Peru - great people and they are bringing their great food!

Maybe it wouldn't hurt if you learned a little Spanish yourself? It never hurts to know more than one language. As a descendent of European Spaniards your posts seem bigoted and insulting

Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,660 times
Quote:
Then don't move to South Florida if you are afraid of it becoming "more Spanish". This is a diverse area, if you don't like that you will have to move somewhere else. Personally I love the diversity. And yes, we are getting more South Americans here, many from Peru - great people and they are bringing their great food!

Maybe it wouldn't hurt if you learned a little Spanish yourself? It never hurts to know more than one language. As a descendent of European Spaniards your posts seem bigoted and insulting
I’m a Caucasian of Irish decent in the construction field. My step daughter is of Cuban decent with darker skin. I’m very aware of the bigotry that she sometimes encounters. I wasn’t brought up in a racist environment and have difficulty understanding the mind set of people who were.
I agree that staywarm’s comments are sounding more bigoted with each post.

With that said… On job sites it was very common for me to be the minority while working alongside people to whom English was a second language. Guys that I knew spoke English would talk to each other in their native language right in front of me as if I wasn’t there. I realize that this might have been easier or more comfortable for them, but I have always considered this to be very rude.
Coworkers that I was friendly with would make a point of always speaking English around me.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Default Hey, I tried!

Quote:

I did take Spanish lessons. They speak very fast Spanglish, which is hard to follow. Besides, why should I HAVE to learn Spanish in my own country. When I visited Paris, I brushed up on my college French and spoke it whenever possible, especially when asking directions. The French really appreciated it and were so KIND to us.

It's not bigotry toward the people. I had friends who are Cuban/Central American/South American. It's not just a little Spanish here and there that bothers me. It's the constant barrage of it. When hearing Spanish gets overwhelming in your city and those who do not speak Spanish or are not of Spanish descent no longer feel like they live in the good old USA, then they'll know what I mean. As the saying in SE FL goes, "Will the last American please bring the flag."

Old 09-12-2009, 02:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
This thread has been completely hijacked to a topic about spanish speaking people. I would love it if we could get back to the thread originator's initial question!!

Old 09-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Default Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
This thread has been completely hijacked to a topic about spanish speaking people. I would love it if we could get back to the thread originator's initial question!!
Sorry, but I was ASKED if "Spanish speaking" was an "issue" for me! Over and out!

Old 09-12-2009, 04:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Weston city, Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

2009-2000= 9 years

Weston was over 10% Hispanic twenty years ago...if you want your questions answered, make use of the link.

Back to the topic at hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area