Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:14 AM

209 posts, read 452,717 times

Advertisements

I follow you now. Is it a safe assumption to say it would still be comprable to SIesta Key or Lido?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
I follow you now. Is it a safe assumption to say it would still be comprable to SIesta Key or Lido?
Absolutely, you will either be in a "V" (rising water) or "A" (flowing water) zone in relation to flood zone.

Next is wind, then your regular homeowners. See if you can get figures on this from the previous owners or you call call any local insurance company, give them the address & they'll give you an estimate.

The catch is this: When a hurricane is headed for the Bradenton/Sarasota area, they will ask everyone to evacuate the barrier islands, i.e. Anna Maria, Longboak Key, Lido Key, Siesta & on down...You will only be allowed back on, once damage is assesed and roads are passable. We have flood surge markers on the island and the bigger the storm, the higher the surge. Strangely enough, the flooding after the storms usually seems worse than during due to the tail end effect.

Remember, living on the water in a home is no different than living on a boat, everything rusts & falls apart due to intense wear & tear of the salt water. This goes for your vehicle as well.

Just things to consider about living near the water.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Absolutely, you will either be in a "V" (rising water) or "A" (flowing water) zone in relation to flood zone.

Next is wind, then your regular homeowners. See if you can get figures on this from the previous owners or you call call any local insurance company, give them the address & they'll give you an estimate.

The catch is this: When a hurricane is headed for the Bradenton/Sarasota area, they will ask everyone to evacuate the barrier islands, i.e. Anna Maria, Longboak Key, Lido Key, Siesta & on down...You will only be allowed back on, once damage is assesed and roads are passable. We have flood surge markers on the island and the bigger the storm, the higher the surge. Strangely enough, the flooding after the storms usually seems worse than during due to the tail end effect.

Remember, living on the water in a home is no different than living on a boat, everything rusts & falls apart due to intense wear & tear of the salt water. This goes for your vehicle as well.

Just things to consider about living near the water.
Yeah very true and very good points by both you and Gypsychic. Guess it's kind of the price you pay for being that close to the water. Of course, there are other factors as well that play a big factor in insurance rates as well-age of the home, construction of the home, hurricane shutters or lack there of, style of roof, etc

I never really had any problems with rust on my cars from living out on the keys. When I lived on LBK in the village we always had VW's and they seem to told up pretty well. Funny thing is when I lived on Little Gasparilla Island and we parked our car at the marina (because you can only get there by boat) we had VW's as well and never had any rust issues either. Seems like the salt on the roads up north is more corrosive than the salt air. Maybe it's just a VW's thing. Dunno...

Old 12-03-2009, 12:54 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yeah very true and very good points by both you and Gypsychic. Guess it's kind of the price you pay for being that close to the water. Of course, there are other factors as well that play a big factor in insurance rates as well-age of the home, construction of the home, hurricane shutters or lack there of, style of roof, etc

I never really had any problems with rust on my cars from living out on the keys. When I lived on LBK in the village we always had VW's and they seem to told up pretty well. Funny thing is when I lived on Little Gasparilla Island and we parked our car at the marina (because you can only get there by boat) we had VW's as well and never had any rust issues either. Seems like the salt on the roads up north is more corrosive than the salt air. Maybe it's just a VW's thing. Dunno...
My car battery turns a pale shade of flourescent green from the salt.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:38 PM

209 posts, read 452,717 times
Good info, ladies. I will pass all this along to Mrs 2muchcoffee. THanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area