Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 AM

109 posts, read 330,976 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

We are a couple who just turned 40 weighing our options about moving to Sarasota. We'd like to hear your opinion of what should we expect from a community that so far I've heard is most for retired people. We've been doing our research but it's better to hear it from the locals. My husband works out of town and I'm a stay at home mom. We are thinking of Fl because of the closeness to our island and a good friend living there told us it would be great for us. Still we'd like to hear other's point of view.

Anything about Citation Club, as we're considering it as our first option? We'd also like to know about being accepted as we are from PR. Will it be a problem? People say there's not much to do in Sarasota (or so we've heard), we'd like to know if there are any options of activities for our teenage daughter. Been told that Sarasota Middle School is the best, anyone with kids attending there?How do you compare Sarasota vs Ocala.

We'll appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,928,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanppl View Post
Hello there!

We are a couple who just turned 40 weighing our options about moving to Sarasota. We'd like to hear your opinion of what should we expect from a community that so far I've heard is most for retired people. We've been doing our research but it's better to hear it from the locals. My husband works out of town and I'm a stay at home mom. We are thinking of Fl because of the closeness to our island and a good friend living there told us it would be great for us. Still we'd like to hear other's point of view.

Anything about Citation Club, as we're considering it as our first option? We'd also like to know about being accepted as we are from PR. Will it be a problem? People say there's not much to do in Sarasota (or so we've heard), we'd like to know if there are any options of activities for our teenage daughter. Been told that Sarasota Middle School is the best, anyone with kids attending there?How do you compare Sarasota vs Ocala.

We'll appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!
The average age in Sarasota is 41, so I think you'd fit in nicely there. What kind of things do you like to do? Go to the beach, tennis, golfing, kayaking, etc. I really think Sarasota is a very diverse community and everyone seems to fit in fine. My kids play with other kids of all races and nationalities and they don't seem to be looked at any differently.

From what I remember the Citation Club is only rentals so I'm not really familiar with it. It is located in Palmer Ranch, which is a nice community and a great location. You have the Sarasota Square Mall right next to it and Potter Water Park & YMCA, it's really close to the beaches.

What kind of things does your teenage daughter like to do? My oldest (who's 17) is really into art. So she goes to art shows, museums, etc. My middle one is into soccer (not as much though this year as previous years though), and my little one loves gymnastics. If you can mention some of her interests than we can probably suggest different places.

If you want more info on schools you can go to www.greatschools.com or School Accountability Report...

Sarasota and Ocala are very different. Ocala has many agricultural properties where Sarasota is more tied to the beaches and has Siesta Key, one of the best beaches in the world.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 AM

109 posts, read 330,976 times
Thank you so much SoFlGal for this info. You are right I wasn't especific on what kinds of activities we enjoy. We sure like going to the beach, we are used to it Puerto Rico is an island and we enjoy the beach very much. I also like jogging, museums and our daughter who's 14 likes soccer and cheer leading at school. My husband likes fishing and outdoors activities as well.

As for the school info I'll look it up. Thanks again

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,928,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanppl View Post
Thank you so much SoFlGal for this info. You are right I wasn't especific on what kinds of activities we enjoy. We sure like going to the beach, we are used to it Puerto Rico is an island and we enjoy the beach very much. I also like jogging, museums and our daughter who's 14 likes soccer and cheer leading at school. My husband likes fishing and outdoors activities as well.

As for the school info I'll look it up. Thanks agor
Well, if you like the beach then you have Siesta Key Beach right close to the Citation Club. And for jogging/biking you could use the Legacy Trail: The Legacy Trail It runs right by that area.

Here's some info about Sarasota soccer: http://www.fcsarasota.com/home/default.asp (broken link) or Sarasota Family YMCA - Sarasota, Florida (http://www.sarasota-ymca.org/programs/programs.cfm - broken link) or http://www.usa-soccer.org/schedules/2007-2008/7871843.html

Here's some info on cheerleading in Sarasota: Florida Jammers (http://floridajammers.com/index.htm - broken link) or Sarasota Family YMCA - Sarasota, Florida (http://www.sarasota-ymca.org/programs/programDetail.cfm?subNav=siteMap&proID=85 - broken link) or Funtastics Gymnastics & Cheerleading I've seen some of the gymnastics girls from Funtastics at various competitions. Looks like they have a pretty good bunch over there.

Once she enters into high school both Sarasota, Booker and Riverview all have cheerleading. Pine View does not have a cheerleeding nor does it have a football team.

There are several different fishing piers in the area: Fishing Florida Online Magazine - CapMel.com (http://www.capmel.com/suncoast_piers.htm - broken link) and tons of great fishing spots if you happen to have a boat. Since it's warm year round here there's always outdoor activities going on: festivals, kayaking, biking, jogging, tons of parks, etc

Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,669 times
listen to soflgal, she has you covered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area