Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 PM

249 posts, read 440,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelagardner View Post
Agreed. I have posted on a few different forums while trying to decide where to relocate and this one has been by far the most friendly, encouraging and helpful group of people out there. I can't tell you how discouraging some people can be in other areas.
Totally agree . Me too. I didn't reach Sarasota (yet), I have been kidnapped in Tampa . But... see above. No meetings here for what I know. Finding a job accepted by the immigration is critical to me. If I could find one in Sarasota, I would be perfectly happy.

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 PM

49 posts, read 94,459 times
Thanks for the warning BH. We lived 30 years in the southwest desert of Arizona before moving to Alaska. Summers were always around 110F to 120F with high humidity from the 500,000 acres of irrigated farmland. I remember one summer day when the backyard thermometer hit 135F with 95% humidity. It might take us awhile to get use to it again, but we know what to expect and are looking forward to it.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska to Florida View Post
Thanks for the warning BH. We lived 30 years in the southwest desert of Arizona before moving to Alaska. Summers were always around 110F to 120F with high humidity from the 500,000 acres of irrigated farmland. I remember one summer day when the backyard thermometer hit 135F with 95% humidity. It might take us awhile to get use to it again, but we know what to expect and are looking forward to it.
Good, I was mostly concerned about you. I grew up in western NY and we never head heat like this up there. In MD, during the summer we experienced a couple months that were pretty similar. I love the heat, but still you have to get used to it and know what to expect. Because if you don't have a reasonable expectation, it can be an unpleasant shock.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:43 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Good, I was mostly concerned about you. I grew up in western NY and we never head heat like this up there. In MD, during the summer we experienced a couple months that were pretty similar. I love the heat, but still you have to get used to it and know what to expect. Because if you don't have a reasonable expectation, it can be an unpleasant shock.
It's all relative, really (like humidity).

I mean, the heat in the summer in Washington DC bothered me infinitely more than the heat here in Sarasota. Here, it is HOT and it is humid. But it's also nice and bright and clear and there are Gulf breezes and geckos.

DC was HOT and humid, but it was also hazy and swampy, and no geckos...just rats.

Baltimore summers are only marginally better.

Stay hydrated, book early tee times, and get to the beach when you can. I am confident you'll manage to muddle through.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 PM

49 posts, read 94,459 times
Heck, Rushmore, muddle is my middle name. LOL

Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM

69 posts, read 225,687 times
I am becoming addicted to this forum too.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
It's all relative, really (like humidity).

I mean, the heat in the summer in Washington DC bothered me infinitely more than the heat here in Sarasota. Here, it is HOT and it is humid. But it's also nice and bright and clear and there are Gulf breezes and geckos.

DC was HOT and humid, but it was also hazy and swampy, and no geckos...just rats.

Baltimore summers are only marginally better.

Stay hydrated, book early tee times, and get to the beach when you can. I am confident you'll manage to muddle through.
I'm from Timonium, MD and worked all over Baltimore and DC and Northern Virginia for the past couple decades (originally from WNY). I appreciate exactly what you're saying. The heat here is different, but even though we have that experience it is very hot for those who haven't experienced it. When I was in WNY, we never had the kind of heat that we have in MD,DC,VA or down here. Even there, if you out on a really hot day, it will take your breath away - if you're not used to it. In WNY we never had the need for an air conditioner, down here you need it. But, it still is a lot less expensive to run the air conditioner than to heat a home in the NE.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
I am becoming addicted to this forum too.

Welcome!! We have a great group of posters here. And, we have fun as well.

Especially when the sun goes down, and the sun-glasses are exchanged for the beer-goggles.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
I am beyond addicted..what can I say? I loooove helping people escape the horrid cold weather! I have to say I agree with BH, we lived in Chicago and we had some very hot, humid summers. Even when visiting Florida for weeks in July, it's not like living here. Sometimes, I even got overwhelmed. I love every minute of it though. The sun is a different sun here.. it's open and free alalala..so it scorches very easily! Don't forget to stock up on some hurricane supplies since you'll be here during that time. Everyone will agree on the basics.. just to be safe! Batteries with radio, and flashlight some canned food with hand held can opener and lots of water..and don't forget extra food for any pets! As far as being the friendliest forum..well, gosh ***blushing***..blame it on the glorious weather 359 days of the year

Old 04-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I am beyond addicted..what can I say? I loooove helping people escape the horrid cold weather! I have to say I agree with BH, we lived in Chicago and we had some very hot, humid summers. Even when visiting Florida for weeks in July, it's not like living here. Sometimes, I even got overwhelmed. I love every minute of it though. The sun is a different sun here.. it's open and free alalala..so it scorches very easily! Don't forget to stock up on some hurricane supplies since you'll be here during that time. Everyone will agree on the basics.. just to be safe! Batteries with radio, and flashlight some canned food with hand held can opener and lots of water..and don't forget extra food for any pets! As far as being the friendliest forum..well, gosh ***blushing***..blame it on the glorious weather 359 days of the year
Who says this forum is sooo darn nice! I BLAME YOU Oobie! Your toooo nice and helpful!! What the heck! It's all you're fault! You and Ladywithafan, SoFLGal, Gypsychic, the cools, the sunshines, Zara/Buck, Sue in Ohio, Randy, and all those other nicity nice posters on this awesome forum! You're all to blame! And, I'm pointing my finger at you guys!

SEE!! Even when I'm mean, I'm nice! And, it's all your fault!

But, I wont tell anyone though! It's not my style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area