Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

325 posts, read 1,024,415 times

Advertisements

There is actually a product that came on the market about a couple of years ago, my supplier had pitched it to my remodeling firm (though we really did not have a market for it) this product comes in a roll and is nailed or screwed to the studs of the interior and exterior walls. It actually may work quite well for the application you are trying to achieve. PM me and I can get a sample over to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,292 times
justNancy - your problem is not unusual. Outside Storms, triple pane, and really ANY replacement window will not stop very much more noise than your original windows - IF ANY. Only when your original windows leak a lot, would replacing them provide any measurable noise reduction improvement. Most people do not realize it, but single pane windows stop more noise than dual pane windows (when equally sealed). This is because the dual pane window acts like a drum - beating on one side also causes the other to vibrate.
STC is the best measure of how much noise is stopped. It stands for Sound Transmission Class and it basically means average decibels stopped.
I work for Soundproof Windows - [url=http://www.soundproofwindows.com]Soundproof Windows - Eliminate Your Noise Problem[/url].
We are a second window added to the inside (usually), but specifically designed to stop noise. We achieve STC numbers between 48 and 57 behind your existing window. We also have recording studio windows that achieve STCs in the 60s. I know of no other companies that offer STC tested windows as high as our windows. We do ship and install all over the country.
For walls, we do not offer anything, but Quiet Rock sheetrock or Green Glue between layers of sheetrock work very well. Ted, at [url=http://www.soundproofingcompany.com]Soundproofing walls, ceilings and floors. Noise control products and solutions | Soundproofing Company[/url] can advise and assist you. Between the two of us we can soundproof also anything.
I am trying to inform you rather than sell you anything. There is a lot of bogus information out there about noise. I hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:00 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundproof View Post
justNancy - your problem is not unusual. Outside Storms, triple pane, and really ANY replacement window will not stop very much more noise than your original windows - IF ANY. Only when your original windows leak a lot, would replacing them provide any measurable noise reduction improvement. Most people do not realize it, but single pane windows stop more noise than dual pane windows (when equally sealed). This is because the dual pane window acts like a drum - beating on one side also causes the other to vibrate.
STC is the best measure of how much noise is stopped. It stands for Sound Transmission Class and it basically means average decibels stopped.
I work for Soundproof Windows - Soundproof Windows - Eliminate Your Noise Problem.
We are a second window added to the inside (usually), but specifically designed to stop noise. We achieve STC numbers between 48 and 57 behind your existing window. We also have recording studio windows that achieve STCs in the 60s. I know of no other companies that offer STC tested windows as high as our windows. We do ship and install all over the country.
For walls, we do not offer anything, but Quiet Rock sheetrock or Green Glue between layers of sheetrock work very well. Ted, at Soundproofing walls, ceilings and floors. Noise control products and solutions | Soundproofing Company can advise and assist you. Between the two of us we can soundproof also anything.
I am trying to inform you rather than sell you anything. There is a lot of bogus information out there about noise. I hope this helps.
JustNancy,
Sounds like a "not-sales job" sales job to me. My information was totally accurate, and I don't sell anything. But, I built many projects 100s of Millions of $$ worth of projects, and take exception, if you are referencing anything I posted. I posted about the STC ratings between single pane windows, vs other tested window assemblies. All the glass is provided by the same few manufacturers, and I also brought up the quiet rock materials, and have experience having installed all of them. I also don't recommend the nail on stud, under drywall rubber sheeting either. All of the products have to be installed VERY VERY carefully in order to be in compliance with the manufacturer's requirements, and the testing requirements in order to work as they require. Most subcontractor's do not have people install them properly, and their supervision is extremely weak!

I would require a field test be performed after the work is performed, and have the contractor offer a 100% guarantee that they meet the required test performance before hand, otherwise, regardless what they sell you, they won't perform the work properly. I guarantee the excuses will come out then. They will talk about every systemic weakness, air gap, non-sealed floor plates, sound transmission through block, etc..... So becareful getting sucked in to buying something, and then hearing all the excuses later.

Knowing what to expect, and paying for reasonable solutions, that will achieve reasonable results will provide you the best value. I want nothing for any advice I provide. I would be happy to act as a consultant - free of charge, to help you avoid the sound proofing "experts" whose "expertise" is at its best when they are sidestepping their real obligations.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times
Of course, unless Nancey's planning on keeping her windows closed all year round with the AC running, sound transmission through the windows isn't really an issue.

I would be more concerned about the location of the house and the neighborhood. I used to rent a half of a duplex in Cape Coral right on Cape Coral Parkway. Very little noise got through the concrete block wall built down the middle of the house, and with the bedrooms in the rear, noise from the road didn't disturb me.

The loud, argumentative, trashy neighbors outside my bedroom window and across the street were a different matter, however.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Of course, unless Nancey's planning on keeping her windows closed all year round with the AC running, sound transmission through the windows isn't really an issue.

I would be more concerned about the location of the house and the neighborhood. I used to rent a half of a duplex in Cape Coral right on Cape Coral Parkway. Very little noise got through the concrete block wall built down the middle of the house, and with the bedrooms in the rear, noise from the road didn't disturb me.

The loud, argumentative, trashy neighbors outside my bedroom window and across the street were a different matter, however.
True! She's being careful though to buy an an area where she can go out and feel safe. If she buys in an area where all her neighbors play the drums, and have boom boxes aimed at her, even if she sound proofs her home, it won't be worth it in terms of enjoying her life.

And, there is a benefit value accessment that needs to be considered as well. I'm sure she doesn't want to have all the rooms, walls and ceilings in her house covered with foam.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 AM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times
Actually, decorators and designers use foam over walls all the time to cut down on noise. They "upholster" the walls with fabric stretched over foam padding. People pay top dollar for it. Treating adjoining (or common) walls this way might be a consideration. I don't know how significant the STC ratings would be, or if they could even be predicted for a given installation, but at least there might be some resale value down the road if it was done tastefully with neutral colors.

I supervised a couple of these installations by a company out of Miami: Brambier's Windows and Walls
They did first class work.

Last edited by tommy-105; 04-25-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Actually, decorators and designers use foam over walls all the time to cut down on noise. They "upholster" the walls with fabric stretched over foam padding. People pay top dollar for it. Treating adjoining (or common) walls this way might be a consideration. I don't know how significant the STC ratings would be, or if they could even be predicted for a given installation, but at least there might be some resale value down the road if it was done tastefully with neutral colors.

I supervised a couple of these installations by a company out of Miami: Brambier's Windows and Walls
They did first class work.
That looks pretty nice. Maybe she should hire you to do the work, and me (freely) to be her consultant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area