Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

our daughter has two young cats that she got as babies from someone's friend who has larger property and "barn" cats--she took them when they were just weaned and they did not really get into being an "outside cat"...she has lanai area and now they are larger they love to be out there...they have also managed one or two times to get through the wire around the lanai and get into their yard...
she does not want them to do that...they live close to the bird sanctuary at Oscar Shearer park and do have birds in their yard and also other dogs/cats in the neighborhood that are outside from time to time...

your problem is that your cat DOES know about ranging and has been allowed that freedom of movement/activity...I don't think your cat is going to be willing to give that up

frankly I think some cats do have much stronger hunting instinct/need than others--my son has two cats--one taken from animal shelter, one an older stray that he took in when he was living in apt--the neutered male has the outside bug and will go into neighbors' yards or climb on the roof--bought him mice and other stuff even when he was living in apt before he moved into rental house...the other cat--neutered female that was the stray--is much more leery of being outside--just stays in the yard and does not go out for long...

our cat which came as kitten from pet giveaway is neutered male--made the move to our new home pretty well--we kept him inside for several days but he loves to be out--even if it is just sleeping on the back patio--he is hunter--has brought us a young rabbit that was at least a foot long last June in addition to mice...
there are people in our neighborhood who have roaming cats--he has not gotten into any fights here but he did at our old house--and got some bad bites that needed treatment...
we have coyotes at our new location (just 3 mi from old house but never saw coyotes there)...he is very leery about going outside when we hear them yipping--
coyotes are death to cats--one of the reasons we got this particular house was that it is on cul de sac away from busy roads and backs to part of a city park so he can go outside without being too threatened...there are also dogs on either side of us--which he did not have at the old house--he is careful not to go over those fences, into those yards...

I sympathize with your situation--having to try to retain your cat to stay indoors is just not going to work as long as he is healthy and physically able to do what he was doing...

Last edited by loves2read; 04-28-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 PM

38 posts, read 60,806 times
The average life of an indoor cat is 18 yrs. The average life of an outdoor cat is 8 years. You figure it out. No reputable shelter would let a person adopt if they are going to let the cat outside.

I walk my cat every day (except in rain or snow) ON A LEASH. He is 23 yrs old and going strong. But I would never let him out alone. Everyone on here is right....find a house with a nice screened lanai. Your cat will love it.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:24 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
The average life of an indoor cat is 18 yrs. The average life of an outdoor cat is 8 years. You figure it out. No reputable shelter would let a person adopt if they are going to let the cat outside.

I walk my cat every day (except in rain or snow) ON A LEASH. He is 23 yrs old and going strong. But I would never let him out alone. Everyone on here is right....find a house with a nice screened lanai. Your cat will love it.
23?! You go kitty! That's awesome

Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
if I were to try to walk my cat, I think he would strangle on the leash--

you have to consider how the OP's cat grew up--

we saw someone in Venice FL walking a cat near the jetties one vacation--and their dog was walking freely--no leash--beside them...

but some cats have not been raised that way
our cat is now 11 and goes out at different times of day/night--sometimes he is out for 10 min and sometimes for 10 hours
I do worry about him--I have gone out at night when bad weather threatens calling him
I know that letting him out is dangerous

But frankly except for coyotes-- I am more worried about people who would take advantage of him because he is a very friendly cat and would likely come to someone who called him and wind up having that person torture him--which I know has happened--than I am about him being hurt by a car

people can be just as dangerous as any animal...

Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
Here's a perfect example of how my cat "hunts".....

Early this morning he spots a very ominous looking spider.

First he jumps around frantically to get my attention.

Then he steps back while I run around and step on the spider.

He then "sniffs" the spider to pronounce him dead.

Mission Accomplished.

Nap time.

Mikey

Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Here's a perfect example of how my cat "hunts".....

Early this morning he spots a very ominous looking spider.

First he jumps around frantically to get my attention.

Then he steps back while I run around and step on the spider.

He then "sniffs" the spider to pronounce him dead.

Mission Accomplished.

Nap time.

Mikey
Funny story. Sounds like a great cat. But why would you kill a spider?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
Quote:
But why would you kill a spider?

......because my cat told me to. He's the boss.

Mikey

Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,703 times
Quote:

Mikey
Lol....I'm finding you enjoyable!!! Or should I say your cat!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post

Our cat lived until he was 18 years old, and only because he was sickly and we finally had to have him put to sleep or he would have kept going. And he was out all the time. I tried to walk my cat on a leash, harness and all and he acted like I was insane and walked around on the ground trying to get at the leash and swat it. I gave up, he just wouldn't walk.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:

Mikey
Okay, since cats rule, never mind.

(I'm actually a dog person, but cats don't bark which is a big, big plus in my book.)

Edit: I guess I was mistaken.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwEktLK3Yk[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area