Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 16,486 times

Advertisements

Moving in next week(Wilmington Is.) and I know zilch!
1.) I need a good G.P. for a healthy 59 yr.old.
2.) A good Vet for a 10 yr.old Weimeraner(dog)
3.) An honest & good garage for an '03 FORD Escape.
4.) Where to buy Austalian and California wines, cheap!
5.) A fresh fish store.
6.) A good barber with a personality.
7.) The best bakery for fresh bread.
8.) Is there Country dancing(line/partner) within 30 miles of here?
9.) Best kayak fishing spots.
10.) 3 golfers with handicaps between 8 & 15??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
It's me again!! I could recommend My Son, The Doctor. He also has a masters degree in sports medicine. Just what you need. I think he was swapped with another baby at the hospital. LOL We think he's good. Just a little bit younger than you are.

There are also a couple of medical "centers" sponsored by the two hospitals out on the Wilminton/Whitmarsh Islands. Visit and see who you like best.

There is a good vet out on Wilmington on Johnny Mercer Drive.

There's an excellent YMCA on the Whitmarsh Island (just down the road from Wilmington) that has all sorts of adult activities. There are tons of people that go there. BIG exercise room, swimming pool, adult basketball, all that sweat provoking stuff.

There is a membership only golf club on the Island. There is also a municipal Club,(Bacon Park)that is not far into town.

The two major groceries (also have a bakery and wine sections) are Krogers and Publix. There's also a (gasp)Walmart. And about umpteen fast food restaurants. Fresh Fish? Krogers and Publix might be OK, (I've gotten good fish there,) otherwise you will have to come into town to Russo's. Teeples in Thunderbolt might do, I don't know it they have a good selection.

Have you visited Savannah a good bit? Do you know your way around?

Anyway, I know you will like us when you get used to us. Just don't tell us how you used to do things back up "there."

Old 07-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Another thought...I"m gabby tonight.... looking at your user name and your profession, I gather that you like kids. That YMCA out there has a VERY active sports program for Kids of all ages. Soccer, softball, baseball, basketball, football and basketball. I have spent many an hour watching the grandbrats. Can you imagine trying to watch six playing on six different teams all on the same day? They start them at age six and under and go on up to the teens.

So if you care to coach, they always need volunteers. They even have gymnastics for girls. It's a big complex and well supported by the families on the Islands.

The thought being is that if you live out on the Islands, you never, ever have to cross over the bridge except to get buried. There's no cemetery out there. A funeral home yes, cemetery no. Everything else you would ever need is out there.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Thank You.
Can you give me the Doctor's name here? I will look for the Vet and intend to check out the Y as well. I think I'll take some time off from coaching after some 30 years, I need a break.
Thank you for your time and info. You are the best ambassador this site has to offer! I look forward to your replies.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 AM

The Vet that I was thinking of is at the Islands Veterinary Clinic at 416 Johnny Mercer Blvd. I think there are two or three doctors there. I don't know which one my son uses.

As far as a Doctor for you, wait until you get here. You might find that you have one living next door. I'll send you my son's name and address. He's a nice guy. You probably would like him. His practice is in town even though he lives on the Island.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:29 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
Immediately after crossing the bridge on Victory there's a little fish market on the left hand side that has fresh fish, crabs, shrimp, whatever you want. They make a "mean" low country boil also. Oh I miss Savannah and the Island so much!

Old 07-28-2007, 06:20 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I sort of like your list. Here are a few answers.

Wine: Habersham Beverage is my favorite, excellent prices. They have two locations, Habersham St. at 60 something street and their warehouse across from the Oglethorpe Mall. Good place to stock up by the case.

There's also a decent package store with a good wine selection on Whitemarsh Island across from Publix.

Back in the Day Bakery in the Starland District is really good. But there's a Panera downtown (if it's open yet) and Publix also bakes their own.

Kayak fishing spots? That's privileged info. Ya gotta earn it.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:22 AM

11 posts, read 37,834 times
I was gonna recommend Habersham Beverage for the wine but someone beat me to it so here's a second vote for them. They also have discounts by the case. I've only been to the one on Abercorn next to Best Buy but I believe they have the largest selection in our area.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 PM

Have you gotten all settled in by now? Sorry that it's been rainy, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometime.
Padgett

Old 08-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Have you gotten all settled in by now? Sorry that it's been rainy, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometime.
Padgett
Started after closing on monday, after 14 hours pulling a car trailer with 4 hours sleep over 2 days. its toooo long to go into but i am alive and there is definately a GOD that sees some purpose for me! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area