Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 PM

42 posts, read 152,850 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll,
my husband is returning from Iraq soon, he will be stationed at Ft Stewart. He deployed with the unit from FSG, so he has been asking around about decent places to live and stuff like that. As you may have guessed the overwhelming answer has been "move to Richmond Hill."
Anyhoo. Neither of us are big on the idea of a commute, but we want to try off post living forawhile. I find it hard to belive that there is nowhere within a ten or 15 minute drive that is livable. Thoughts?
It seems every PCS we hear these horror stories. We just came from Petersburg, VA and everyone said the same thing. the,crime, the schools, etc. In fact we found Petersburg was pretty ok with a few rough areas.
Anyhoo. What are some good neighborhoods to try? TBH, I'd like an apartment complex with a pool. I think from poking around the interwebz that Savannah proper and Pooler will be a little to far for our taste. Although he does have a lot of guys in his unit that live in Pooler.
I'd say 20 minutes from the main gate would be do-able, but I really don't want further than that. I just keep thinking to myself it can't be as bad as we've been told. Somebody...give it to me straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 08:55 PM

Nobody? K...getting a little concerned here.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
it's been a while since I was there, but Hinesville is rather small. it's hard to explain how it's all laid out with the Base, etc. That's probably why you have been advised to take a look at Richmond Hill.

Can you live on base for a while until you see how things are?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
it's been a while since I was there, but Hinesville is rather small. it's hard to explain how it's all laid out with the Base, etc. That's probably why you have been advised to take a look at Richmond Hill.

Can you live on base for a while until you see how things are?
Thanks. I want to try to get on post but he wants to try off post forawhile. We'll see...

Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I hope you're still checking this chickipoo. I have never been stationed at Fort Stewart, but I drive out there often for my current assignment, so I have some knowledge about it ... here's what you need to know. Other than Hinesville, which really is a small, crappy military town, you have to drive 25 to 30 minutes down a dirt road to gain access to the post. That's what's going to add to the commute time. If you're looking for a reasonable commute time, Richmond Hill is probably you're only choice. If your husband is willing to drive 45 minutes or so, you have more options.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM

7 posts, read 46,693 times
Everyone warned us against living in Hinesville but after visiting both Richmond Hill and Hinesville we decided to live in Hinesville. We brought a place in Barrington Subdivision and absolutely loved it. We had fantastic neighbors and the commute was only 5 minutes from work to my front door vice the 35 - 45 minutes to Richmond Hill. We were at Fort Stewart from 2006 – 2010. I did two deployments to Iraq but my wife and kids stayed in Hinesville. The kids loved their school and my wife loved the proximity to Fort Stewart. Elaine Boggs helped us find a great house in Hinesville. She knows the community better than anyone else. Hinesville is not a huge city but it has all we needed to be happy. Also the drive time to the beach is less than an hour and the drive to Savannah is about 45 minutes. I hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM

TY! We did decide to move to Hinesville off post! So far, so good. We'll see!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogfaceSoldier View Post
Everyone warned us against living in Hinesville but after visiting both Richmond Hill and Hinesville we decided to live in Hinesville. We brought a place in Barrington Subdivision and absolutely loved it. We had fantastic neighbors and the commute was only 5 minutes from work to my front door vice the 35 - 45 minutes to Richmond Hill. We were at Fort Stewart from 2006 – 2010. I did two deployments to Iraq but my wife and kids stayed in Hinesville. The kids loved their school and my wife loved the proximity to Fort Stewart. Elaine Boggs helped us find a great house in Hinesville. She knows the community better than anyone else. Hinesville is not a huge city but it has all we needed to be happy. Also the drive time to the beach is less than an hour and the drive to Savannah is about 45 minutes. I hope this helps.
Not quite sure how you can get to Savannah in 45 minutes and still make it to the beach in under an hour. Takes at least 20 from downtown to Tybee.
Either way, it's 30 from Richmond Hill to downtown (traffic pending), add another 20 from Hinesville to Richmond Hill. (just under an hour to downtown Savannah). Then add 20 to Tybee and your ETA is around an hour, ten minutes.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 AM

6 posts, read 12,914 times
nobody replied because thats what you get when u move here in hinesville nothing! this place sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area