Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,901 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking for information on the general area of Savannah. My daughter is heading to Savannah in January to go to SCAD and I have been hearing lots of stories of violent crimes. Any suggestions for my daugher and myself? Thanks much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 AM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
Everyone everywhere needs a good self defense class.
learn how not to be a target wherever you travel.
become street smart

Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,849 times
Not being a long time Savannahian and living and traveling abroad a bit, I feel that I can offer realistic advise on the city's safety. It is very simple. It is not Mayberry, and on the flip side, it is not a Rio DeJaniero favella. SCAD buildings are sorrounded by some poor areas that you find in any Southern city. If your daughter retains common sense, doesnt stay out late drinking and walking home, and is aware of her sorroundings, she will be fine. Savannah is a great city, objectively speaking.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
I lived on Whitemarsh and Wilmington --4 years in Savannah.

I like Thunderbolt and the areas around Victory Drive. Sort of transitional around Pennsylvania Avenue--forget what those little neighborhoods are called but there are some posts that explain that. I think that is SE Savannah--
>>Here's a map/Mapquest of Savannah>>>
Map of Savannah, GA by MapQuest (http://tinyurl.com/22jhzn - broken link)

The posters that really know Savannah are Padgett2 and ?? another guy/or gal--'bgnsavannah' --something like that.

The historic district has some good/reasonably priced/safe places to live--closer to SCAD--Ardsley Park would also have some rooms/houses to rent--knew someone who lived in a carriage house.

I think it is less safe around the Fine Arts magnet elementary school--taught there--they have torn down some of the housing projects and things are improving but that was not an area I would ever visit after dark. Not certain how things are going around Forsyth Park--Colonial Cemetery area--nice in the daytime/weekends but I never ventured forth from Whitemarsh in the evening--too tired from teaching all day for one thing and PLENTY of work to do every night of my life---so glad to hear that the Savannah-Chatham school system is making a major effort for its students. sigh---So many needed remedial assistance and it just wasn't possible to get them all that they needed. I loved those kids--most of them anyway. <wry grin> Fond memories of Savannah. My father grew up at Bethesda--children's home out on the the South side--Skidaway area. Ferguson Ave/Blvd, IIRC.

SCAD should have some FYI on how to find housing.

<<<<SCAD>>>>

Savannah College of Art and Design > 043007 Savannah SCAD Style events to be held May 10-19 (http://www.scad.edu/about/news/topstories/2007/043007.cfm - broken link)

hth--hope that helps
)

contact me by PM/direct message --click on my user name--if you have additional questions

There is so much history and Savannah's ambience is very stimulating for the creative--that I am certain your daughter would enjoy her experience there.

Others have said--'Wherever you are--know how to protect yourself...' Good advice. I am in NE Atlanta and I have my 'emergency' plan--I am female. I have a whistle on my keys and am planning to get some mace.

We have some serious criminals in Atlanta, GA. I know where to go and which areas to avoid and keep car doors locked at all times. That is what it takes here.

(((Fine Arts)))

bhs

Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 AM

22 posts, read 121,770 times
Advise your daughter not to wander around downtown Savannah alone in the evenings. My husband won't let me. Always travel after dark with a buddy, preferably a group.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,162 times
Default Garden City is a great place for a SCAD student to live

Hello. Read your question and this may be a little late but..........as a 53 year resident of Savannah, having grown up in Garden City, that would be my recommendation for one of my children. Garden City is a small town, suburb of Savannah. It is the most CONVENIENT of all the surrounding areas of Savannah, other than actually being in the downtown area. It is accessible by many routes and only takes 8 to 10 minutes to be in the downtown area. NOW.......just as a side note.......my husband and I have just finished TOTALLY remodeling a little house 2 doors down from where I grew up in Garden City and we will be listing it soon with a realtor. If your interest would be in buying a place for your daughter please get in touch with us. The house was remodeled inside and out and is SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL. The back yard is fenced and huge with a drive under carport area. It is 2 large bedrooms, 2 full baths, a HUGE laundry room, (that could actually accomodate an office/extra bedroom area and then on the outside of the house - under the carport - there is an outside a/c/heated workshop/bedroom/etc. that is attached to the house. This would be a GREAT buy for someone who was interested also in roommates to pay rent.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 AM

17 posts, read 92,727 times
I grew up in Savannah and graduated from AASU in Savannah. This can be a great experience for your daughter. Savannah is a great town to attend college. I am sure SCAD will supply you with all the info. you need to help her make a decision. I agree with alot of what was mentioned in previous post...Ardsley Park and carriage houses. Downtown Savannah has been under alot of developement for downtown living (upscale lofts). It is probably safer to live in Downtown than other areas in Savannah. Please come visit (stay downtown) and you will see. I am pretty sure that you won't find SCAD buildings in any of the areas that your daughter should be staying away from. Not that I would want my own daughter walking anywhere alone at night, but I think most of where your daughter will be doing her everyday living is safe to walk alone at night (7-10pm). Good Luck

Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
The times I have been to Savannah I didnt find it dangerous at all, at least when compared with Atlanta or New Orleans. I would think if possible the best way to live in Savannah as a student is downtown near SCAD itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area