Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

I drove down Stephensen today and almost wrecked my car when I saw that Ole Times Country Buffet is getting ready to open in the old Ryan's location. The fellows inside said it would be about two weeks!

This chain started in Tifton (I believe) and has bought up closed Ryan's locations throughout south and middle Georgia and north Florida, turning them into all-you-can-eat home cooking buffets that I SWEAR ON A STACK OF PAULA DEEN COOKBOOKS is the best, most authentic Southern food you'll ever eat in a restaurant. I was living in Brunswick when they took over the Ryan's there 4-5 years ago and OMG! People would stand in line for an hour to get in! Fantastic food, reasonable prices, a great addition to the Southside family dining scene. They actually scrape cream corn OFF THE COBB out back! The mashed potatoes have peel and lumps! The fried okra is dusted in cornmeal, salt and pepper and the best I've ever tasted! The country fried steak is REAL MEAT -- not grisle, breaded, seasoned and smothered in gravy. Their BBQ pulled pork and Brunswick stew are award winners. On Fridays and Saturdays they do a seafood buffet that's as good or better than any around these parts.

I know some folks immediately turn up their noses at the very idea of "buffets" -- but this one is outstanding! It will put Lady and Sons to shame.

oletimescountrybuffet.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am one of those people who resists eating at the trough, but I'll trust you on this one.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I love buffets like that. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 PM

They've been open a week and already jam packed out the door. Ate there tonight for the first time. As good as I remember it! Paula Deen eat your heart out!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:30 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
I've also been down on buffets, but... real creamed corn, okra dusted with cornmeal, country fried steak without the gristle? I'll be lining up like everybody else.

Newsboy, you didn't mention the desserts. What about the southern desserts at Ole Times? They better have pecan pie and coconut cream pie (at the very least).

Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I've also been down on buffets, but... real creamed corn, okra dusted with cornmeal, country fried steak without the gristle? I'll be lining up like everybody else.

Newsboy, you didn't mention the desserts. What about the southern desserts at Ole Times? They better have pecan pie and coconut cream pie (at the very least).
-- Real creamed corn: CHECK!
-- Okra dusted with cornmeal: CHECK!
-- Country fried steak, fork-tender, smothered in gravy and onions: CHECK!

I'm not a big sweets / desserts person, but I do recall banana pudding, lots of pies and cakes, etc.

Seriously, there's no way to even begin to list how big this buffet is. If you can name it, they've probably got it (or if not, can make it on request). Just for example, I noticed they had THREE different kinds of corn: creamed, whole kernel and still on the Cobb, and two kinds of green bean: skinny snap ones and big fat flat ones, both seasoned with pork. Black eyes peas. Butter peas. Lima beans. Pinto bean. Cornbread dressing. Mac and cheese. Squash casserole. A dozen different kinds of cold salads. Meats meats and more meats.

It's really good. Really.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I want to try this place soon, since I know it will probably go downhill quickly once the gluttons, who frequent Golden Corral, find it and camp out there.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I want to try this place soon, since I know it will probably go downhill quickly once the gluttons, who frequent Golden Corral, find it and camp out there.
I know, right? The height of dining pleasure is watching a bunch of obese people Bogarting the crab legs. I'll pass.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
@gentlehearts. You've just said what I avoided saying: why I don't like buffets. Not only do they promote America's obesity epidemic (much worse in the South), but they attract some pretty large ladies and gents who aggressively shove you aside. But NB is describing real country food *from scratch* -- I assume the green beans aren't canned and the mac & cheese is homemade (not the atomic-orange "cheese food" in the blue box). This is southern food the way our grandmothers made it -- the best regional cooking in the country if you except the weak coffee served throughout the South. Just hope they can keep the quality going for a while.

@Newsboy. A native southerner "not into sweets"? With pecan pie and coconut cream pie around? Oh well. But thanks for the post. Question: What do you think of Cracker Barrel, which does follow the "from scratch" southern food gospel?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM

I think if they make it expensive enough, the types I'm talking about will still be at Western Sizzlin, or Golden Coral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area