Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 01:27 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
No question that Charleston's business and port interests preferred I-95 to come through North Charleston (I still recall newspaper items about it in the Savannah Morning Snooze), but no one else did. Such a plan would have added time to the I-95 trip down to Florida. I imagine that Columbia's business community did have a bee in its bonnet as well, but the sheer foolishness of an interstate making a turn out into the SC coastal plain was clear to both Washington and the Columbia statehouse. It was nobody's choice except Charleston's. The current configuration was logical then and makes just as much sense now. And as Charleston already had an interstate (and quick connection) with I-26 -- at a time when many southern cities its size had none -- there was no discussion. Florence/Walterboro it would be.
I-95 didn't have to go directly through North Charleston; from Dillon, it could have gone through Kingstree, Summerville, and then on to Yemassee and followed its current route from there. That's would have been about just as direct as the current route. Interstates aren't just about getting to the termini as quickly as possible; it's also about giving cities along the route access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
^Agreed. The central location of 95 plus avoiding most all of the coastal barriers (marsh, rivers, etc), made the current route the least expensive & straightest shot into FL. Plus, it also brought opportunities to some of SC's poorest counties; one reason why I advocate bringing I-77 down from Columbia to tie into I-16 at the Talmadge Bridge. Another hurricane evac route, another route for trucks to go to & from the ports (including the future Jasper port), and a way to relive the congestion on I-95.
Uhh, like what? I-95 is by far the most underutilized interstate in SC, home to the embarrassing "Corridor of Shame." Only Florence has benefited somewhat, and it's still a second-tier city in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:34 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
North American Properties, the developer behind Avalon in Alpharetta and the turnaround at Atlantic Station in Midtown Atlanta is looking for development opportunities in Savannah, Atlanta, and Charleston.

Quote:
On the heels of confirming the Atlantic Station development in Midtown Atlanta is on the market and opening the hugely successful mixed-use Avalon development, North American Properties (NAP) is looking for its next opportunity.NAP, which has evaluated and passed on development opportunities in Nashville and Miami, is currently assessing opportunities in Atlanta, Charleston and Savannah.
North American Properties Scouting for Next Opportunities in Markets Throughout Southeast | Midtown, GA Patch

Old 05-20-2015, 04:12 PM

The economy of Savannah is expected to grow 3.8 percent this year. I have a feeling growth here will heat up even more....
Quote:
Savannah’s employment will grow by 3.8 percent this year, ahead of the state overall at 2.9 percent, according to a forecast released Wednesday by Georgia State University.

Savannah added 7,300 jobs last year, and has already sparked 1,500 in the first three months of this year.

“Overall, as deepening continues on the Port of Savannah, we expect more announcements connected to manufacturing and export-related business,” wrote Rajeev Dhawan, director of the Economic Forecasting Center that released the outlook.

Savannah’s latest gains have come in several sectors, including 720 in what Dhawan calls a “catalyst sector,” professional/business services.

“Other growth sectors include leisure and hospitality (400), retail trade (230), manufacturing (190) and education and health (140),” Dhawan wrote in the forecast.

Construction, transportation and financial activities also expanded modestly while there were pull backs in the government and information segments.
Savannah economy expected to grow 3.8 percent in '15 | BiS | Business in Savannah News

Old 05-21-2015, 12:03 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I-95 didn't have to go directly through North Charleston; from Dillon, it could have gone through Kingstree, Summerville, and then on to Yemassee and followed its current route from there. That's would have been about just as direct as the current route. Interstates aren't just about getting to the termini as quickly as possible; it's also about giving cities along the route access.

Uhh, like what? I-95 is by far the most underutilized interstate in SC, home to the embarrassing "Corridor of Shame." Only Florence has benefited somewhat, and it's still a second-tier city in the state.
Think I agree with you on I-95. Actually each state had a say in where the road would enter and leave their state. I know for a fact that Columbia wanted it closer to them and good ole Strom Therman (sp) had some property to off load so that's where it went. It would have been so much better passing just north of Summerville and thru the two lakes and head south of Florence. Good old politics.
If it were placed there, it would have been right close to where Volvo landed and a lot more bussinesses would have landed there too. Actually BMW should have been located closer to the port too, but SC knew that they needed jobs up that way so they steered it to that part of the state.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:10 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
North American Properties, the developer behind Avalon in Alpharetta and the turnaround at Atlantic Station in Midtown Atlanta is looking for development opportunities in Savannah, Atlanta, and Charleston.

North American Properties Scouting for Next Opportunities in Markets Throughout Southeast | Midtown, GA Patch
I don't know. I think that looks like a Mytle Beach type of thing.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:27 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Default Today's NY Post

Bite into Savannah

Old 05-26-2015, 11:46 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Cool

Old 05-28-2015, 08:02 AM

202 posts, read 231,337 times
I just had a wonderful visit to Savannah last weekend. The city is getting expensive. Tybee is over-run, making the "Island of Misfit Toys" dwellers a bit cranky. I do wish I had purchased that little shack on Jones a few years back. It is worth a bundle now...so much so that I wouldn't be able to live there. Anyway, in my old(er) age, I'm a renter. There is virtually nothing to rent on Tybee for less than $200 per night (in winter). That's not the kind of renting I'm looking for. I want to die on Tybee, but that probably won't happen. I'll settle for an apartment near Savannah. I want to be close to my loved ones buried in Bonaventure and Greenwich and if I can drive there in 30-45 mins., I'll be happy.

I love Savannah.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 AM

The unemployment rate for Metro Savannah has dropped to 5.5 percent....
Metro Savannah jobless rate drops to 5.5 percent | savannahnow.com

Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM

66 posts, read 194,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
....In fact, Savannah is so popular the traffic and parking is an issue..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area