Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 06:33 AM

37,890 posts, read 41,990,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Interesting point. Just an observation on the historic 'squares' in Savannah. I'd be curious as to why the specific architectural motif for Ellis is relatively much different than the others which dot the historic district. It looks very modern. In my opinion it came as a disjunct with the rest of the others.
Yeah, that's a good example. I absolutely adore the historic squares, and although I haven't visited Ellis Square, I've seen pictures and I like it individually but not sure if I like it as part of the historic square system. I wish it would have had more of a classic look with a bit of a modern flair. In Charleston, Waterfront Park obviously has more traditional design influences but also incorporates an interactive splash pad/fountain at the entrance, similar to Ellis Square's splash pad. Both are quite popular with kids it appears.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 06-01-2015 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,278,117 times
Quote:
Just an observation on the historic 'squares' in Savannah. I'd be curious as to why the specific architectural motif for Ellis is relatively much different than the others which dot the historic district. It looks very modern. In my opinion it came as a disjunct with the rest of the others.
Ellis Square was just resurrected a few years ago. They even brought in mature live oak trees. Give it time, they'll grow in and make it look more mature. Personally, I love Ellis Square and the kids love the water fountain jet area. The giant chess and checker board is neat. You can see the river (still, for now..). There's always live music. It has a mammoth parking garage nestled underneath. It's right off Broughton. It's wonderful.

Although nothing matches the view from Charleston's Waterfront Park and I love all the trees there. Both are incredible cities and while it would be neat to see new modern cores, light rail someday etc, but I hope these are located in a new area outside the historic districts. Perhaps right adjacent to our downtowns even. Like San Francisco. While it's neat to see places they're intertwined like Boston and NYC, the thing that makes Chas and Savannah so great is the massive size of the historic districts and the completeness.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:52 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
Quote:
While it's neat to see places they're intertwined like Boston and NYC, the
thing that makes Chas and Savannah so great is the massive size of the historic
districts and the completeness.
I agree as a traveller who has visited the South for many years. I live here in NY and have to say that the forces of modernity usually trump say 'historicity' and its significance throughout the metropolitan area. The pace of change (and money) swamps ad swallows everything up here as continual development goes on and on and the past simply gets ripped up and lost forever.

For me 'change' doesn't appear to have destroyed the souls of Savannah and Charleston as they have for where I live. They seem to work a balance between that and traditions of the past. On the other hand perhaps the 'natives' who lived long there might have something other to say about it! I'd think there would be many views on the cities' development. Anyway good luck and be vigilant for those would affect adversely both cities' relationship to their past present and future.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
I agree as a traveller who has visited the South for many years. I live here in NY and have to say that the forces of modernity usually trump say 'historicity' and its significance throughout the metropolitan area. The pace of change (and money) swamps ad swallows everything up here as continual development goes on and on and the past simply gets ripped up and lost forever.

For me 'change' doesn't appear to have destroyed the souls of Savannah and Charleston as they have for where I live. They seem to work a balance between that and traditions of the past. On the other hand perhaps the 'natives' who lived long there might have something other to say about it! I'd think there would be many views on the cities' development. Anyway good luck and be vigilant for those would affect adversely both cities' relationship to their past present and future.
You'd be surprised how many longtime savannah natives resent what the city has become.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:02 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You'd be surprised how many longtime savannah natives resent what the city has become.
If I were one of the old pedigrees, with a venerable house on one of the squares, and enough old money that I didn't need tourist business, I'd be pretty resistant to change also. What I don't understand is why these people lost control over things? If they're too above it all to steer the ship, then they shouldn't complain.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM

37,890 posts, read 41,990,657 times
A historic and architectural treasure like Savannah just couldn't continue flying under the radar forever; it was only a matter of time before the "old sleepy colonial-era port city" status was a thing of the past.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:02 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I were one of the old pedigrees, with a venerable house on one of the squares, and enough old money that I didn't need tourist business, I'd be pretty resistant to change also. What I don't understand is why these people lost control over things? If they're too above it all to steer the ship, then they shouldn't complain.
There aren't more than two or three hundred people if you sit down and count active residences around the squares. Not much you can do against three million visitors.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A historic and architectural treasure like Savannah just couldn't continue flying under the radar forever; it was only a matter of time before the "old sleepy colonial-era port city" status was a thing of the past.
Market forces, tragedy of the commons, and no good real estate goes undiscovered... Well I like this treasure and will not tire of defending its beauty. Polish the gem stone but don't cut it until it's gone.

Something I noticed that sprouted up almost entirely within the last year (I think?) are these jumbotron video billboards on the interstates (516 and 16 and 95). Right before all the accidents started hm. As if we need more distractions. I guarantee at least one accident will at some point be caused directly because of and only because of these. Probably at night or early morning in a commute someone will stare at one of them and veer into another lane. Good job, zoning people. Isn't that what they are for, and we are supposed to be good at here, is planning!? Also, way to ruin a drive in to a tourist destination people are visiting for its beauty. Derr. Killing the goose that laid the Golden Egg. Perhaps what you are alluding to Mutiny77.

Visit a state without billboards, and you may wish you have that luxury, like Maine or Vermont. The DOT blue signs telling you what restaurants and hotels and attractions are on the exit are enough. If you want something you look for it. I think more and more actually the advertising industry is stupid. If i want something I google it. I don't see a billboard and decide I want to buy a subscription to the Savannah-Morning News. (ya'll see that on 16 right?) Industry should worry about not being on Google Maps, not on a billboard for two seconds while I'm going 70mph on 16.

I believe preservation and even to some degree maximum growth limits are NOT mutually exclusive to a vibrant community and great place to live, work and raise a family.

News, I have been here only a few years, and seen changes just in that time. I have written off Pooler. It's that place that has all the stuff other places do. That is okay with me. Every city needs that area actually. That's fine. But if we start knocking down old buildings downtown for Dollar Generals and erecting skycrapers on Squares that will be a loss for us all. If we are going to have a new urban core let's do it in Garden City or somewhere points west of downtown. And then we can revitalize the west side at the same time. And I am not alarmist. I know those things will not happen tomorrow. They happen slowly. First the Marriott then the IRS building etc. If the good ladies of our fair city hadn't stepped up in the 50s our city would not be the beauty is now, plain and simple. I feel we're at another turning point in this next couple years again.

Now, many things coming or happening are great. I like the Powerplant hotel if it's done nicely, and with green landscaping. Savannah River Landings could someday be wonderful, the Derenne Project and 204 are good, and lots of new restaurants and businesses seem to come every month to downtown and it seems like big new events are coming. All in all it's a great town. We owe a lot of this though to Historic Sav Foundation and SCAD. They preserved a unique aesthetic which I think stimulates the time spent outside here in our city and makes walking around pleasant. I enjoy that we can see the sun! Yet have shade under lush trees.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
There aren't more than two or three hundred people if you sit down and count active residences around the squares. Not much you can do against three million visitors.
And yet they have done a lot of good for such a small group! I've never met such a stimulating group of folks as the families with generational ties to here that are so committed to their city. In this day and age it's unusual to meet people that say "I like it here, and I'm staying here". I am musing joining that group here in this city, depending on how it weathers the next decade or so and whether it grows dramatically, and where and how.

Here is an apropos article today:

Letters to the Editor Tuesday | savannahnow.com
Quote:
Savannah’s beauty overcome by trash, shoddiness

One of our nation’s founders, Thomas Jefferson, reportedly observed that communities should be surrounded continuously by a maximum of beauty.

As a visitor to Savannah for both business and for pleasure, I considered the city to be a symbol of beauty and a reminder that the visual enhancement of our built and natural environment is not only good for business, but also good for the soul.

What happened to Savannah?
Ugly and distracting signage, winking-blinking electronic signs, billboard blight, litter, trash and an overall shoddy appearance. I am appalled. The Chamber of Commerce should be paying attention to the community’s charm and beauty.

I hope my next trip to Savannah will be uplifting and not depressing.

WILLIAM D. BRINTON
Jacksonville, Fla.
I agree. Litter in this past year seems to be multiplying like rabbits. I have lived in less beautiful cities that also have much less litter. Where is it coming from even!?! It's like people are dumping their entire household garbage production into the roads.

And the video billboards as I noted are also unfortunate. I'm surprised a tourist focused Chamber of Commerce didn't step in, in its own best interests, on that. The regular billboards aren't that bad, in comparison. Why not just stick with them? The video ones are way over the top and just awful. Hotels command high rates here because our city is beautiful. If it becomes seedy like Myrtle Beach, will they be able to charge as much?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
Re: 'You'd be surprised how many longtime savannah natives resent what the city has become'

Well on that I'd say that I could have gotten iinto conversation on that with some long time residents in the historic area. However, the conversation never was overt on that but rather implied in some statements I heard. I think I can understand that. It has to be impossible to not be affected by the rapidity of change in places that engender and evoke great memories by individuals who work and have lived their lives in Savannah.

In all probability we'll come again and visit and take up and continue to learn what the fine city has to offer. But there's one thing which worries me since I've seen it happen again and again up here.

Off Martin Luther King Blvd is where the 'battle of Savannah' occurred during the Revolutionary War. A bit of 'hallowed ground' in the American colonies fight for freedom from Britain. We were very impressed how it is taken care of.

Now with my cynical attitude I would be afraid one day the area will fall to 'development' and the possible creeping 'hotelization' of the city due to its great popularity by visitors such as ourselves. Can it happen? Not sure but if experience with things like that I'd say it can never be discounted. In NY there are places from the war that are now under cement and iron and steel. Gone forever from the geography. Hope it never happens to Savannah nor to Charleston for that matter. But if it does everybody will then have to deal with a turned corner that who knows where it will lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area