Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post

Always posts conservative viewpoint, always... Hmm

There are paid conservative astroturfers everywhere these days, looks like we might have smoked one out on city-data.
You've been here long enough to know better, son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Well, I take 912 at his/her word as an honest-to-goodness conservative person without a secret agenda. That's a perfectly allowable viewpoint for someone to have in this country, so I take no issue with that. However, 912 would have coastal Georgia look like Newark, New Jersey if it meant lower prices at the pump. I think it's fair to say, witnessing the turnout at the public hearing, most of coastal Georgia disagrees with him, me included. Is 912 on Kinder Morgan's payroll, or are you a stockholder? Because those are the only Georgians who will truly benefit besides the Governor.
No agenda here, correct. Cute Newark reference, though. Sorry folks, statistically speaking, pipelines continue to be the safest, least expensive way to deliver energy to our rapidly growing REGION. I know pipeline can burst. Dogs also run away from home and little old ladies get creamed crossing the street. Nothing is perfect.

Again, KM has stated they'd build a terminal in Richmond Hill for local distribution of fuel. Yes...it is on the record....KM will allow Savannah to draw off the pipleline at a terminal they will build as part of the project. Another thing that has not been proven is the the end of the line would be Jaxport & that foreign shipments of oil would occur there. That simply is not correct, proven, or written anywhere.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:52 AM

975 posts, read 1,150,159 times
Thanks, KM, for "allowing" us the privilege of sipping off your pipe. Their generosity somehow rings hollow to me. Last time I was there, "cute" wouldn't be an adjective I'd choose to describe anything about Newark.

As for the bulk of this fuel ending up in unnamed customer's hands despite repeated public requests for naming them, why do you think they refuse? Hmmmm.....

Old 04-24-2015, 12:38 PM

^ as with most companies, when engaging in a speculative deal (where a deal has not been struck) other involved parties and end users are normally not disclosed. Business Law 101.

So why are you anti-growth, anti-lower fuel costs, and anti-free markets? Your position hurts those who can least afford to be hurt: those on fixed incomes. The promise of jobs & lower fuel costs would help that segment of society out tremendously. Must be nice for you to sit in your ivory tower, being able to spend at will. I bet you live in a gated community, don't you? I say this because your defense of your position is growing away from one of concern for the environment, and more towards preservation of face. Your condescension seeps out a little more with each comment.

Say hello to Biff & Muffy on the clay courts for me, won't you?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
^ as with most companies, when engaging in a speculative deal (where a deal has not been struck) other involved parties and end users are normally not disclosed. Business Law 101.

So why are you anti-growth, anti-lower fuel costs, and anti-free markets? Your position hurts those who can least afford to be hurt: those on fixed incomes. The promise of jobs & lower fuel costs would help that segment of society out tremendously. Must be nice for you to sit in your ivory tower, being able to spend at will. I bet you live in a gated community, don't you? I say this because your defense of your position is growing away from one of concern for the environment, and more towards preservation of face. Your condescension seeps out a little more with each comment.

Say hello to Biff & Muffy on the clay courts for me, won't you?
Who said I was anti-growth? I'm anti-pipeline. The two are not one and the same.

My question about who the customers are is to force Kinder Morgan to admit they are exporting their product, plain and simple. They are withholding that information, not because they are coyly playing one domestic customer against another, as you imply, but because they don't want people to know that there is no real public benefit.

Get your head out of the swamp, 912.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 PM

^ Again, no evidence that the end of the pipe will be at a Jaxport terminal. If that was the case, the ports in Savannah & Charleston are shorter distances for the pipe to traverse. Southeastern ports are not built or equipped to "onload" fuel products. Plus, this pipeline is drawing off an existing pipe that flows to the NYC area....why would flow to those areas be placed at risk to support some clandestine export business.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:08 PM

A better question is why is Kinder Morgan being so clandestine? Savannah is a smoke screen. They are trying to reach more expensive Jacksonville and export markets, and we're just geographically in their way.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
912 I'm going to be blunt - Seriously what is your deal? Kinder Morgan has a worse record than a lot of companies. Enron execs own it. Any pipeline spill will be insanely bad of course. Shutoff valves every 20 miles. Think about that volume. If they were operated completely safely I would be the first on here saying we should support it. But that couldn't be farther from reality. They are the BP of pipelines. Not all companies are equal.

It almost sounds like you're a paid shill. Now I know you're not. But there is an eerie vibe I am getting pro-pipe posters that always seem to have "political" talking points, as pointed out by others. This not some Fox News vs MSNBC rubbish or a political thing at all really. It's a local issue which could affect basically everyone here that gets out and enjoys the rivers beach and marsh whether hunting and fishing or just boating and sight seeing. Seriously, what is your deal? Why do you want it? Why do you enjoy living here currently in Savannah? (do you enjoy living here?) what do you do on weekends? We are out on the river hence the concern.

CoastalGA I think you're on to something too. There's a reason they aren't releasing any info. Smells fishy.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
If that was the case, the ports in Savannah & Charleston are shorter distances for the pipe to traverse. Southeastern ports are not built or equipped to "onload" fuel products.
You're right about one thing, 912, MOST southeastern ports are indeed unable to handle that volume of liquid fuel on a daily basis, and none of them are owned by KM's partners. But there is one with a dock for ships bound for foreign markets... Kinder Morgan's partner in all this, Marathon, has this terminal in Jacksonville. https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/shows...tory_id=538322

Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
912 I'm going to be blunt - Seriously what is your deal? Kinder Morgan has a worse record than a lot of companies. Enron execs own it. Any pipeline spill will be insanely bad of course. Shutoff valves every 20 miles. Think about that volume. If they were operated completely safely I would be the first on here saying we should support it. But that couldn't be farther from reality. They are the BP of pipelines. Not all companies are equal.

It almost sounds like you're a paid shill. Now I know you're not. But there is an eerie vibe I am getting pro-pipe posters that always seem to have "political" talking points, as pointed out by others. This not some Fox News vs MSNBC rubbish or a political thing at all really. It's a local issue which could affect basically everyone here that gets out and enjoys the rivers beach and marsh whether hunting and fishing or just boating and sight seeing. Seriously, what is your deal? Why do you want it? Why do you enjoy living here currently in Savannah? (do you enjoy living here?) what do you do on weekends? We are out on the river hence the concern.

CoastalGA I think you're on to something too. There's a reason they aren't releasing any info. Smells fishy.
BNSF, owned by Warren Buffet, has a MUCH worse record when it comes to transporting oil...via train. I believe the last "oil Train" to catch fire was one of theirs.

My "deal" is that I have a differing opinion than you do, SavannahLife. Got it? You're still a noob when compared to my time on these boards, so don't come at me with your tin hat, black helicopter theories as to why I hold the positions that I do. You have yet to earn that right, my boy. Read back through my previous posts to see why I support this endeavor. Until you understand people have VALID reasons to hold differing viewpoints, don't even come at me. Are we clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area